(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 95.
#1601 8 years ago

I'm noticing some weirdness with my right flipper all of a sudden...slow to respond when I hit the button. Ideas where to start?

#1602 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Ever wonder what the original Video Mode in Star Wars was like?
Wonder no longer...
» YouTube video

Anyone knows why the video mode has been removed from the code that shipped?

And Chad, any chance we'll ever see this in a newer version of your code...?

(Sorry if those questions have already been answered...)

#1603 8 years ago
Quoted from wspy:

Anyone knows why the video mode has been removed from the code that shipped?
And Chad, any chance we'll ever see this in a newer version of your code...?
(Sorry if those questions have already been answered...)

You mean the meaningless speeder through the woods sequence that gives you 10M? If so, its still there...

#1604 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You mean the meaningless speeder through the woods sequence that gives you 10M? If so, its still there...

Yeah, that one but what it used to be...

#1605 8 years ago

I sent Chad a PM and asked the same question about a month ago...no response.

#1606 8 years ago
Quoted from wspy:

Yeah, that one but what it used to be...
» YouTube video

well that looks more like it should be... the one in the Chad rom is meaningless.

#1607 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

well that looks more like it should be... the one in the Chad rom is meaningless.

I think it was like this in the shipped code too. Looks like it has been cut before it reached the market for some reasons...

Good news is it looks like Chad managed to make it work but I was wondering why he didn't add it to his version of the code...

#1608 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The one in my ROM is the same as the one that is in the original production game.

Quoted from wspy:

Good news is it looks like Chad managed to make it work but I was wondering why he didn't add it to his version of the code...

I got it working long after the code was released... but unfortunately it's a hack and won't work in the real game. I'd love to some day figure out a way to incorporate it but chances are really slim. I was happy to at least be able share what it was for historical purposes.

#1609 8 years ago

Having played with the original ROM for 15 years, I can't tell you how grateful I am for Chad to have unlocked as much as he did. I just got my machine back after being shopped by Whysnow (and brought back to life after a battery attack, as I knew no better) and he dropped Chad's ROM in the machine for me. I had no idea what i was missing, but so much more fun now.

Thanks Chad for showing us what it was supposed to look like, but more thank you for taking the game up a few notches. So impressed with all the smart, friendly people in the pinhead community I'm getting to know.

#1610 8 years ago

Agreed. The game is 100x better with Chad's updates.

Chad - out of curiosity, what was the hack...hardware or software? I am so tempted to decompile and try to figure it out

#1611 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

The one in my ROM is the same as the one that is in the original production game.

I got it working long after the code was released... but unfortunately it's a hack and won't work in the real game. I'd love to some day figure out a way to incorporate it but chances are really slim. I was happy to at least be able share what it was for historical purposes.

Thanks for the info. I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful work you've been doing. Hope you continue to give DE titles the love they deserve!

#1612 8 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Chad - out of curiosity, what was the hack...hardware or software? I am so tempted to decompile and try to figure it out

Software... but a corrupted prototype ROM... it is on my to do list so all hope is not lost.

Quoted from RDReynolds:

Hope you continue to give DE titles the love they deserve!

Speaking of this, who here has a Star Wars and a ROM burner? I have a favor to ask. (No, nothing to do with video mode). Please PM me.

#1613 8 years ago

Hey guys,
A friend of mine played my desw and loved it so much he wants one. I can't seem to find one in the $3k range for him tho. Any takers?

#1614 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Thanks Chad, so your Youtube video is what you were able to enable with the hack?

Thanks for the updated ROM. I didn't play the opriginal ROM, the game I got had your ROM in it and it is quite fun and has good balance.

#1615 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Software... but a corrupted prototype ROM... it is on my to do list so all hope is not lost.

That would be the cherry on top of the cake, the new code being already so much better than original...

Anyway, thanks for the reply Chad!

#1616 8 years ago

I've been watching ebay for over a year for R2-D2 parts. My little guy is missing his left arm. One showed up today, a little pricey though! Think I will try 3D printing it at some point.

ebay.com link: STAR WARS PINBALL MACHINE R2D2 ASSEMBLY DATA EAST

#1618 8 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I've been watching ebay for over a year for R2-D2 parts. My little guy is missing his left arm. One showed up today, a little pricey though! Think I will try 3D printing it at some point.
ebay.com link » Star Wars Pinball Machine R2d2 Assembly Data East

Talk about price gouging but when something is rare, you have to pay....

#1619 8 years ago

ColorDMD Previews New LED Displays!

Compared to LCD screens, the new LED display features 128x32 discrete LEDs, capable of providing high brightness and contrast and more vivid colors. Using the company's fast FPGA processing, the ColorDMD LED display provides comfortable viewing with low power consumption.

Unlike LCD screens which provide uniform dot size and spacing, the discrete LEDs produce a dot size that varies with brightness, resulting in an effect similar to half-toning. Since the displays use a fixed matrix of LEDs, some popular features like DOTSXL and high-resolution upscaling are not possible with LED panels.

Small form factor LED panel technology is still new and the long-term reliability and quality of the LED panels is not yet known. Current LED panels exhibit some visible ghosting (the unintentional lighting of some LEDs) due to stray capacitance on the panel circuit boards, though we expect this may improve in future generations.

Does this mean Star Wars DE is now an option without modifying the speaker panel?

#1620 8 years ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

ColorDMD Previews New LED Displays!
Compared to LCD screens, the new LED display features 128x32 discrete LEDs, capable of providing high brightness and contrast and more vivid colors. Using the company's fast FPGA processing, the ColorDMD LED display provides comfortable viewing with low power consumption.
Unlike LCD screens which provide uniform dot size and spacing, the discrete LEDs produce a dot size that varies with brightness, resulting in an effect similar to half-toning. Since the displays use a fixed matrix of LEDs, some popular features like DOTSXL and high-resolution upscaling are not possible with LED panels.
Small form factor LED panel technology is still new and the long-term reliability and quality of the LED panels is not yet known. Current LED panels exhibit some visible ghosting (the unintentional lighting of some LEDs) due to stray capacitance on the panel circuit boards, though we expect this may improve in future generations.
Does this mean Star Wars DE is now an option without modifying the speaker panel?

Sounds cool.

#1621 8 years ago

Hello, hope someone can help me here. I need to replace the lamp sockets on the 3 lights above the drop targets. Anybody know the correct size and type? Thanks!

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#1622 8 years ago

Not in front of my machine at the moment, but I am 90% sure these are the ones:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=682

I *think* you will need a diode as well.

I can confirm 100% later.

#1623 8 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Not in front of my machine at the moment, but I am 90% sure these are the ones:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=682
I *think* you will need a diode as well.
I can confirm 100% later.

Ok yes, please do if you can. Thanks!

#1624 8 years ago

Do they sell them with the diode attached?

#1625 8 years ago

Might be a silly question, but is there an option in the service mode it will allow me to eject the pinballs?

#1626 8 years ago
Quoted from surfajl77:

Might be a silly question, but is there an option in the service mode it will allow me to eject the pinballs?

You have a specific reason to do that?

You could run a check on that particular coil and that will throw out a ball into the launcher lane.

If you're already fiddling with the settings means the door is open, so just manually rotate the ball launcher arm.

#1627 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

You have a specific reason to do that?
You could run a check on that particular coil and that will throw out a ball into the launcher lane.
If you're already fiddling with the settings means the door is open, so just manually rotate the ball launcher arm.

Got it. Thanks. Was just figuring out how for when I change out the pinballs down the road.

#1628 8 years ago
Quoted from surfajl77:

Got it. Thanks. Was just figuring out how for when I change out the pinballs down the road.

Then yes a could test will cycle thru but if you just push up on the armature you'll pop me out manually

#1629 8 years ago

I finally got all the parts I needed for the Death Star. Now, I need a bit more help. Can someone post pictures of the wiring going to the bar motor switches? I need to figure out which wires go on which switch terminals and the orientation of the diodes. Thanks

#1630 8 years ago

Hi
I would like to replace some cracked targets on my SW shown by the arrows in the attached photo, could anyone let me know their reference number and where to buy replacements?

Also, I need to rebuild the flippers but there seem to be two rebuild kits available, one set with springs and the other not (links below). Any advice on these?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6306-20
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3525

Many thanks
Dann

star_wars_targets_(resized).jpgstar_wars_targets_(resized).jpg

#1631 8 years ago

Dan,

Phil at Pinball Heaven does translucent replacement ones. I think the solid yellow are unobtainable now.

https://www.pinball.co.uk/shop/spares-accessories/yellow-box-target-star-wars/

Matt.

#1632 8 years ago

Many thanks Matt, will order the translucent ones!

#1633 8 years ago
Quoted from danscu:

Many thanks Matt, will order the translucent ones!

Then with a couple of flex head leds you could light them up from under the pf. That would look cool.

#1634 8 years ago

Solid yellow targets look like they are available through Pinball Resource: http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#de

#1635 8 years ago

Guys,

Is this switch behind R2 only activated when another switch is activates or something? I tested it in test mode and it works fine, but during the game, I moved it with my finger and it will not register anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1636 8 years ago

that switch is only used to reset the autofire in the original rom. but there is also a plug extender so there's more fail points. start by firing the autofire then hitting that switch

#1637 8 years ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

that switch is only used to reset the autofire in the original rom. but there is also a plug extender so there's more fail points. start by firing the autofire then hitting that switch

I have the new rom. Autofire? Little confused here...thanks

#1638 8 years ago

Oh man, sorry guys but I have to leave the club, I sold my game this weekend. Keep the good vibes going, it's a great game.

#1639 8 years ago

How much?

#1641 8 years ago

Not bad! Ebay or local?

#1643 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I have the new rom. Autofire? Little confused here...thanks

Kickback on the left outlane. You get one at the start of each ball, but if you use that the left orbit relights and gives you another...

#1644 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh man, sorry guys but I have to leave the club, I sold my game this weekend. Keep the good vibes going, it's a great game.

gah! Group OP has left the building!

#1645 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh man, sorry guys but I have to leave the club

Why do you have to leave the club?

#1646 8 years ago

Well I don't have the pin anymore so I figured I wouldn't be bothering you guys anymore.

#1647 8 years ago

I have a quick tech question. I noticed that the three drop targets have recently started letting out three loud clicks before the start of each ball launch. It also does this at the end of the game. It didn't do this previously (pretty sure it just clicked once, maybe?)

The targets still react normally when hit and pop back up when they reset on a ball drain. So the machine is playing normally from what I can tell, I just couldn't figure out why I was suddenly getting these three clicking noises before each ball launch.

Any idea? I uploaded the video. You see it at the beginning and at the very end after the ball drain (after the ball save).

#1648 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well I don't have the pin anymore so I figured I wouldn't be bothering you guys anymore.

Thanks for starting such a great thread. Glad you were able to sell your game, but sorry to see you go.

#1649 8 years ago
Quoted from surfajl77:

I have a quick tech question. I noticed that the three drop targets have recently started letting out three loud clicks before the start of each ball launch. It also does this at the end of the game. It didn't do this previously (pretty sure it just clicked once, maybe?)
The targets still react normally when hit and pop back up when they reset on a ball drain. So the machine is playing normally from what I can tell, I just couldn't figure out why I was suddenly getting these three clicking noises before each ball launch.
Any idea? I uploaded the video. You see it at the beginning and at the very end after the ball drain (after the ball save).
» YouTube video

The clicking is the coil raising the drops. I don't remember mine doing it on a ball save but I do know mine always fired twice at the start of a ball.

#1650 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Kickback on the left outlane. You get one at the start of each ball, but if you use that the left orbit relights and gives you another...

Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/33?hl=surfajl77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.