(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,740 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by jgadzia
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,740 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 95.
#1201 8 years ago

Finally finished work on one of our SW. Made a few modifications, replaced the Death Star with this:
P1010769.JPGP1010769.JPGP1010781.JPGP1010781.JPG
Painted the top half of a Death Star planetarium http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Science-Death-Planetarium/dp/B00339P9ME.
It's a little bit smaller but very close. Here's a picture of it before it was painted.
P1010792.JPGP1010792.JPG
Also added a hex post and cut down post sleeve to the post to right of the ramp entrance to block an exposed light.
Put a red and green two bulb flex led under the lightsaber insert, picture could have turned out better but it looks really good in person.
P1010760.JPGP1010760.JPGP1010802.JPGP1010802.JPG
Also put on a playfield protector and titan silicone rings.
P1010767.JPGP1010767.JPG
Haven't put much play on it yet because we're trying to get the drop targets adjusted, but so far we're really happy with the playfield protector. This one is going to be put on location and we can't wait to find out how it holds up.

For anyone who needs a new death star dome and wants to keep it original we now have two death stars we'd be looking sell $50 each shipped in the US. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/26556

If anyone in the pacific northwest has space for a great companion to their pinball we're also selling the bench sitdown version of the Sega Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, pm if interested.

#1202 8 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

Painted the top half of a Death Star planetarium It's a little bit smaller but very close. Here's a picture of it before it was painted.

Great tip! Thanks for posting!

#1203 8 years ago

Ironic timing on the planetarium. A new employee at work brought in one to work. I saw it and popped the top off it and promptly measured it. Got home and thought it was close enough a match and ordered it. Glad to see it will work.

I'll take the un-cracked original btw. It's in better shape than mine.

#1204 8 years ago

Thanks I just ordered one!

Quoted from Jawa:

Finally finished work on one of our SW. Made a few modifications, replaced the Death Star with this:
P1010769.JPG P1010781.JPG
Painted the top half of a Death Star planetarium amazon.com link »
It's a little bit smaller but very close. Here's a picture of it before it was painted.
P1010792.JPG
Also added a hex post and cut down post sleeve to the post to right of the ramp entrance to block an exposed light.
Put a red and green two bulb flex led under the lightsaber insert, picture could have turned out better but it looks really good in person.
P1010760.JPG P1010802.JPG
Also put on a playfield protector and titan silicone rings.

P1010767.JPG
Haven't put much play on it yet because we're trying to get the drop targets adjusted, but so far we're really happy with the playfield protector. This one is going to be put on location and we can't wait to find out how it holds up.
For anyone who needs a new death star dome and wants to keep it original we now have two death stars we'd be looking sell $50 each shipped in the US. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/26556
If anyone in the pacific northwest has space for a great companion to their pinball we're also selling the bench sitdown version of the Sega Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, pm if interested.

#1205 8 years ago

You can get them at Target also.

#1206 8 years ago

Hello and please help, I'm working on my Star Wars pin, adding new LED lights and Blue rubbers and Blue post sleeves.
The problem is that I can't find any of the short post sleeves in Blue. Short post sleeve.jpgShort post sleeve.jpg
Attached is a copy of the part in black. Thanks for all the help in advance

#1207 8 years ago

Thanks for PM Jawa, "I got them from titanpinball.com. I did the whole game with their competition silicone line.
The blue looks great on SW." I already placed the order. Too Cool

#1208 8 years ago

What are the best leds from cointaker to put in a SW? GI and inserts please....

#1209 8 years ago

Hey guys Laseriffic just came out with blue sling and out lane protectors. As you know the out lanes don't need protecting but they sure do look nice. $25 Who's gonna be the first to put them on?

#1210 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey guys Laseriffic just came out with blue sling and out lane protectors. As you know the out lanes don't need protecting but they sure do look nice. $25 Who's gonna be the first to put them on?

So you're telling me that those Star Trek blue sling will fit perfectly in the DE Star Wars?
http://www.laseriffic.com/p/pinball/protectors/st-plastic-protector-set/

#1211 8 years ago
Quoted from pageau:

So you're telling me that those Star Trek blue sling will fit perfectly in the DE Star Wars?
http://www.laseriffic.com/p/pinball/protectors/st-plastic-protector-set/

No these are new and for the DE Star Wars game. The for sale ad is on the 2nd page of the Pinside For Sale section. Laserific does not have them on their web site yet.

#1213 8 years ago

Thank you guys, thanks for the link.

The pictures are not showing what it's suppose to look for reel but I get the idea.
I'll contact them, I think it's a nice upgrade

#1214 8 years ago
Quoted from pageau:

The pictures are not showing what it's suppose to look for reel but I get the idea.

There are 3 pictures at the bottom of the ad that show them perfectly.

#1215 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

There are 3 pictures at the bottom of the ad that show them perfectly

Yes, but the pictures on their website have a better quality and we can have a better impression of the result.
I already contacted them to order the parts.

#1216 8 years ago

WtB Star Wars-
Hi guys. New to the club. Does anyone have a line on a Star Wars? I had a deal worked out with Big Tuna and it fell through around shipping issues. Let me know what you have. Thanks

#1217 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

WtB Star Wars-
Hi guys. New to the club. Does anyone have a line on a Star Wars? I had a deal worked out with Big Tuna and it fell through around shipping issues. Let me know what you have. Thanks

Sorry to hear that but I got nuttin.

#1218 8 years ago

Just installed the V1.04 rom. What a change! Like others have said, it's like a different game now.

I did get my game going again a few weeks ago. I think what happened is X-wing fighter targets 2 or 3 if hit hard enough with the ball would touch the light behind it shorting it out. It blew that switch matrix column transistor out. Put some electrical tape behind the switches to keep them from touching anything when hit hard and it's been good for a few weeks now playing the new rom.

Tom

#1220 8 years ago

Hello

I am an associate member until my machine has been fully restored; ordered it back in June 2014 and is still being worked on (restored cabinet, clearcoat etc).

It has the following inclusions
Black Edition - Cabinet Decal
Blades - Mirror - Stainless Steel
Data East Plastic DMD Cover – RED
LED - Cointaker - Flipper Button Kit - Red
LED - Cointaker - Premium Kit
Noflix Pinball Card
Star Wars Custom Card
Laseriffic Star Wars - Plastic Protector Set
PETG Star Wars - Plastic Shield Set
Star Wars - 20th Anniversary
PinSound Kit
Speakers - Flipper Fidelity
Galoob Star Wars Action Fleet - Tie Fighter (Darth Vader )
Galoob Star Wars Action Fleet - X-Wing (Luke Skywalker)
Galoob Star Wars Action Fleet - Y-Wing (Gold Leader)

This picture is an example for the use of the Galoob Star Wars Action Fleet.
sw.jpgsw.jpg

#1222 8 years ago

This is my first post. Our family is looking into purchasing a DESW it has no manual and no Darth Vader head on the top of the pinball machine. What is a fair price for a DESW pinball machine?

Cindy

#1223 8 years ago
Quoted from jimbo16:

This is my first post. Our family is looking into purchasing a DESW it has no manual and no Darth Vader head on the top of the pinball machine. What is a fair price for a DESW pinball machine?
Cindy

Hi Cindy, welcome to Pinside

Click on this -> Star Wars <- and there's an "Estimated value" section. (Not sure what goes into that calculation these days). That's a good starting point for prices in general.

The lack of a manual is not that big of a deal. You can get a PDF copy at IPDB (http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2358) or buy one from a vendor.

The topper you can find from time to time on ebay for around $100. - ebay.com link: itm

The value is going to be a combination of those things, condition of the game (playfield, cabinet, backglass, electronics), any mods/upgrades that you value, how appealing the theme is to you, and how close it is (or shipping).

A fair price is going to be how much you value those things.

#1226 8 years ago

robbo15,

Thank you for your help.

#1227 8 years ago

I paid $2900 recently in good shape and felt like I got a deal. You'll love it.

#1228 8 years ago

Got a quick Q: Can anyone tell me the part number for the metal posts that hold rubber sleeves around the ramp and death star? The ones that hold the common rubber sleeves like this:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/39-6556-7

I'm thinking it's something like this:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5332-04

Annoying there aren't post IDs in the manual like on more recent machines!

#1229 8 years ago

There was mention of a code update that Stern posted then took down because of licensing issues here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-stern-and-commitment-to-code-releases#post-2810003

Does anyone know which version they are referring too?

#1230 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

There was mention of a code update that Stern posted then took down because of licensing issues here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/about-stern-and-commitment-to-code-releases#post-2810003
Does anyone know which version they are referring too?

edit:
It was the version prior to chads star wars rom. v1.04

He mentions the broken download link further down the thread

"Never. They no longer have that license, nor a means to get approval.
Remember how quickly the Star Wars upgrade got yanked off Stern's site?
http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/SW12_PRO_english.zip"

The following was in the readme.

"V1.04 - December 19, 2012
=========================

- Added Freeze (ball save) on a 10 second timer.
- Ramp no longer collects Force Award.
- Climbing ramp bonus reduced.
- Relite Force Award via ramp normalized to every 5 shots.
- Lite Extra Ball ramp count logic changed.
- S in STAR WARS no longer spotted at beginning of ball
- Pop Bumper Sarlaac Value increased.
- Jabba Scoop will award Sarlaac Value plus Jabba Award when lit.
- Relite Relaunch logic now based on current ball time.
- Hitting Drop Targets bank once will relite Left Orbit when required.
- Chance to attain Extra Ball via Force Award increased.
- Required number of Pop Bumpers to collect AT-AT Walker mode reduced.
- Dark Side shot requirement increased.
- Shoot The Death Star remains active if was active during ball drain.
- Initial Tri-Ball Jackpot value increased.
- End Of Ball Bonus awards and maximum increased.
- Default high scores lowered.
- Combo and Super Combo awards increased.
- Sound calls added to Combo and Super Combo.
- Skill Shot audio stereo panning synchonized with display.
- Voice calls added to "This is no cave" shot.
- Sound and video added to Super Laser Kick Force Award.
- Left/Right Orbit Audits fixed.
- Force Award Audit fixed.

#1231 8 years ago

Ahh thanks. My game came with Chads code I believe. The ramp scoring is greatly reduced and the speeder video mode does nothing but awards points. I never played 1.04. Is it worth trying out?

#1232 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Ahh thanks. My game came with Chads code I believe. The ramp scoring is greatly reduced and the speeder video mode does nothing but awards points. I never played 1.04. Is it worth trying out?

My code is v.1.04.

When you turn your game on, the second thing to quickly display on the DMD is the version number. Are you showing 1.04?

#1233 8 years ago

Oops ... corrected by the man himself

Seems that the stern download was actually chad's rom itself.

#1234 8 years ago

Got it, will check the version tomorrow. Thanks.

#1235 8 years ago

My CPU ver is 1.04

1 week later
#1236 8 years ago

Hi all, so I've had a reproducible sound problem on my desw. The most notable is on the ball freeze (new rom) it never says "freeze". Just a weird muted wookie like sound. So, I've checked everything and found a potential problem, but need someone to confirm my situation is abnormal. It looks like pin 19 on the cn21 connector on the (main?) top boards broken off. See pic. I wonder if that could be why most sounds work and some don't. Any ideas on what I might do if that is the problem? I solder but poorly and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with desoldering a connector off a main board!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#1237 8 years ago

Any time there's a broken pin it's not good, that very well could be your problem. There are many Pinsiders that could replace that for you, not sure who though. Maybe chadH could give you a heads up. PM him.

#1238 8 years ago

I talked to Chad and he said his board is identical, so that is normal. I'm looking into trying to fix or replace the sound board. Anybody have a spare?

#1239 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I talked to Chad and he said his board is identical, so that is normal. I'm looking into trying to fix or replace the sound board. Anybody have a spare?

While I don't have a spare board (I'm keeping my old one at the moment), you may want to consider swapping over to a Pinsound card anyway.

I'm still working on my mix; but, the ones you can download are good and you can still use the original audio mix as well.

It has really brought new life into the game. When your game supports it and there are good alternative mixes available, swapping to a Pinsound is the best upgrade you can make on a game.

#1240 8 years ago

I just bought a pinsound board during the sales so this might just be my chance! The early Star Wars mixes I didn't love for some reason. Seemed too jerky, sudden starts and stops. But I'll give it a whirl. I was thinking of using it on my Indiana Jones because it looks like a guy worked his guts out rerecording the sounds from the blu-rays...
How much work is it to set up? I like playing pinball more than I like tweaking them...

#1241 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

How much work is it to set up? I like playing pinball more than I like tweaking them...

I was able to install my cards in about 20 minutes. The unzipping/conversion of a downloaded mix takes the game another 15-20 and then you could be up and running.

The brew your own mixes are obviously more effort. You've got to get the audio segments you want extracted and chopped up into appropriate sized pieces. Then place them into the appropriate folders for the game to run them. Then the tweaking begins. You change the gain settings to balance out the sounds the way you'd like.

I'm currently in a tweaking phase for my own mix. I haven't messed with it in the last couple of weeks do to the holiday and work; but, I think part of the issue are some of the folders are mislabeled in the stock mix as effects are getting triggered at the wrong time (mainly the slings are firing off things that shouldn't). My version gets rid of all of the prequel trilogy sound effects and music and adds back in several musical cues that are not in other versions - like Leia's theme, Han and the Princess, Yoda and the Force and other changes.

Overall, the process is quite enjoyable.

#1242 8 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

I was able to install my cards in about 20 minutes. The unzipping/conversion of a downloaded mix takes the game another 15-20 and then you could be up and running.
The brew your own mixes are obviously more effort. You've got to get the audio segments you want extracted and chopped up into appropriate sized pieces. Then place them into the appropriate folders for the game to run them. Then the tweaking begins. You change the gain settings to balance out the sounds the way you'd like.
I'm currently in a tweaking phase for my own mix. I haven't messed with it in the last couple of weeks do to the holiday and work; but, I think part of the issue are some of the folders are mislabeled in the stock mix as effects are getting triggered at the wrong time (mainly the slings are firing off things that shouldn't). My version gets rid of all of the prequel trilogy sound effects and music and adds back in several musical cues that are not in other versions - like Leia's theme, Han and the Princess, Yoda and the Force and other changes.
Overall, the process is quite enjoyable.

Sounds like your doin pretty good. Keep us posted.

#1244 8 years ago

Hey all!

I just got my DESW yesterday and I am loving it. A few questions for the group:

My translite, while original, isn't in the best of shape. Has anyone purchased one of these repros from "ClassicArcades" off ebay?
If so, how do you like it?

My R2 unit isn't "bouncing" however, the head rotates fine. Anyone know what part controls the bouncing?

There are a lot of out hole protectors. Wondering what one is best.

Thanks in advance! Glad to be here!!!

#1245 8 years ago
Quoted from JFirenze:

My R2 unit isn't "bouncing" however, the head rotates fine. Anyone know what part controls the bouncing?

There is a coil below him that actually pulls him down when it fires. This is probably the root cause. Run through the coil tests and see if it fires (it probably won't). Check that he can freely bounce up and down just by pushing him down. There are two captured springs that push him back up. Make sure those have not broken. If he's in the down position nothing will happen (he may jiggle a little bit but not bounce).

You can totally remove him if you want to give the rest a clean by taking his head off (small nut on top). From memory there is a molex connector you can use to disconnect the lights. Pull that up through the big hold. Undo the two nuts holding down the captured springs and the entire mechanism will pop out (springs are under tentsion so keep a hold of them). Give the main shaft a good clean as it will probably have a bit of carbon on it (r2 has seen some shit!). (ps: dont use any sort of lube on that shaft!)

#1246 8 years ago
Quoted from JFirenze:

Hey all!
My translite, while original, isn't in the best of shape. Has anyone purchased one of these repros from "ClassicArcades" off ebay?
There are a lot of out hole protectors. Wondering what one is best.
Thanks in advance! Glad to be here!!!

By outhole protectors are you meaning the scoops or the roll over switches in the outlanes?

Either way I bought cliffy's. I didn't put one on the hole in the top left because I didn't think it was necessary but DEFINATELY you want one on the scoops and I put cliffy's on the inlane rollover switches because where the ramps are... they drop the ball right on them and they were starting to wear. You're maybe in for $80 in cliffy's .

#1247 8 years ago
Quoted from JFirenze:

Hey all!

I had a hell of a time finding a quality repro and NOS translites are few and far between. The best one I found was from Arcade overlays ( http://www.arcadeoverlays.com/ ) Not sure if they still repro it but it doesn't hurt to send an email. I eventually found a NOS one on Ebay but it took me over a year of searching beforehand and I check ebay almost everyday.

#1248 8 years ago

Hopefully will be in the club Sunday... depending on it's condition... Wish me luck. May the force be with me!

BTW: Whats with pinsider "HOMERTV" why he hate us when he aint us?

#1249 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Hopefully will be in the club Sunday... depending on it's condition... Wish me luck. May the force be with me!

Sending some luck your way. Make sure you look at the pop frames under the pf, they're plastic and they can crack around the pf screw points.

#1250 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sending some luck your way. Make sure you look at the pop frames under the pf, they're plastic and they can crack around the pf screw points.

If all goes well... If I buy it sunday... and when/if I post a photo in the thread I will cut a batch of Chrome pop-cap decals. Anyone that knows what I am talking about I closed my shop recently. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/20#post-2507950 But I will pull the machine out to cut my decals and do one last run. Pay shipping, make a payment of whatever you feel like... So.. That said all of you please send me more luck

Normally... I would say.... Make it so... But... I will end this note with :p

:p:p

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 4,740 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.