(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 95.
#1101 8 years ago

I used regular 8 LED flex head flashers from Comet and they don't light up my Death Star at all. Neither did the 89 incandesents so I suspect my Death Star isn't very transparent...

#1102 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I used regular 8 LED flex head flashers from Comet and they don't light up my Death Star at all. Neither did the 89 incandesents so I suspect my Death Star isn't very transparent...

It's not supposed to be transparent.

#1103 8 years ago

Anyone want a free lock bar receiver and spring, it's rusty but will clean up. You could clean this one up then swap out your old one and your game would only be down for the swap time. The box to ship it in is free too so all you'd pay is the actual shipping cost via USPS. I hate to throw this in the trash.

#1104 8 years ago

If it's the part I think it is mine is bent to hell! Look like some ones tried to break into it.

So I'd take it!

I'll just send thru a pic of mine in the morning.

#1105 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

If it's the part I think it is mine is bent to hell! Look like some ones tried to break into it.
So I'd take it!
I'll just send thru a pic of mine in the morning.

OK, you got first dibbs.

#1106 8 years ago

Anyone have any pics of some high end restored SW? I am going to have mine restored in the next year and was looking for ideas. Thanks, Mike

#1107 8 years ago

Mustangpaul, the receiver has the main section that connects to the cabinet, the sliding bar underneath and the handle?

Here ( http://imgur.com/a/KnhfG ) you can see the sliding bar is bent out of shape where the lock down bar has probably been wrenched upwards.

Edit : Actually, I'll let it go to someone else more local to you. Shipping would probably cost more than it's worth

#1108 8 years ago

Yeah that's the receiver. Mine isn't bent in the center that bad and only one end is bent like yours bit it is rustyer then yours. New one is $44 + shipping. Ok. anyone else want it?

#1109 8 years ago

If anyone is thinking of getting a new receiver for there DE games I highly recommend the one from Marco. The sliding bar part is VERY HD and will most probably NEVER bend like the stock ones do. Here are some photos of old and new. The new one is of course the shiny one.

IMGA0098.jpgIMGA0098.jpg

IMGA0099.jpgIMGA0099.jpg

IMGA0100.jpgIMGA0100.jpg

#1110 8 years ago

I have 2 yellow stand up targets that are for DE SW...Was not sure how hard they were to find. If interested send me a PM.

#1111 8 years ago

Hope someone here can help with this question... After fixing Star Wars "SLAM TILT" problem and getting the game working again, it is behaving a bit differently at the end of a game.

The game has always been on free play and still is.

Originally, at the end of the game, it would do the number match screen with the jawa's, then play the ending jingle or pulse the knocker if the number matched.

Now when the last ball drains, it goes directly to Obi-wan and the 'Game Over' screen, completely skipping the jawa's and the end of game jingle.

Anyone experience this before? The new game end seems very abrupt and not right... and I'd like to have the jawa's back again!

Thanks!
Tom

#1112 8 years ago

Did you inadvertently turn off the match feature in settings?

#1113 8 years ago

Pics of targets. Had a few inquiries. $20 shipped I believe these are correct for sw

image.jpgimage.jpg

#1114 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Don't think so since I've not been in the feature settings. I'll have a look in there though tonight just to make sure it's still on. Was not sure it was a feature setting.

Tom

#1115 8 years ago

I have put in blue bumper caps, i think they look great with all the blue around.

20150824_175131.jpg20150824_175131.jpg

#1116 8 years ago

I like those blue caps!! Where did you pick them up from?

Tom

#1117 8 years ago

www.pinballcenter.eu
I bought them because i needed 4 reds and they had only 2 left so i switched to blue.

#1118 8 years ago

Just picked up a star wars last week, so I am very new to the club. I love all the mods everyone has done to their machines. I'll post pics of mine when it is all finished.

I have a question for everyone, when the machine is turned on and in attract mode, the death star target constantly raises up and down. When I play a game, it acts normal like it is supposed to. Is it normal for the machine to do this? Seems to me like it would cause a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the motor and gears.

#1119 8 years ago
Quoted from ButtonMash:

This deserves its own thread to ridicule but I wasn't sure if it's already been posted so I'll just drop it in here: ebay.com link » Data East Star Wars Custom Pinball Machine Most Beautiful Machine Ever

Just purchased a DESW yesterday and started scanning thru this forum. Came across this post and just had to laugh as this same guy still has the machine for sale although he might finally have it down to a semi-reasonable number.

ebay.com link: Data East Star Wars Custom Pinball Machine Most Beautiful Machine Ever

#1120 8 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

Just picked up a Star Wars last week, so I am very new to the club. I love all the mods everyone has done to their machines. I'll post pics of mine when it is all finished.
I have a question for everyone, when the machine is turned on and in attract mode, the death star target constantly raises up and down. When I play a game, it acts normal like it is supposed to. Is it normal for the machine to do this? Seems to me like it would cause a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the motor and gears.

Welcome to the club, hope your enjoying your game. My Death Star target doesn't do that, I don't know what would be causing yours to do that, mine has never messed up. Hopefully someone can chime in on your problem.

#1121 8 years ago
Quoted from boiler2331:

Just purchased a DESW yesterday and started scanning thru this forum. Came across this post and just had to laugh as this same guy still has the machine for sale although he might finally have it down to a semi-reasonable number.
ebay.com link » Data East Star Wars Custom Pinball Machine Most Beautiful Machine Ever

Welcome to the club also. WOW 2 new members in a week, that's great. Yeah that game has been for sale forever but it has come down in price, used to be something like 5k I think. But it still doesn't say if it plays just "nr mt - mint condition to the eye unless otherwise noted", whatever that means. The guy who painted it kind of knew what he was doing but it's still to rough, I think it was brush painted. Would be a lot nicer if it had been airbrushed. And I would like to know what those 2 screwed on plates are on the sides.

#1122 8 years ago

That custom cabinet *shudder* ... "most ugly cabinet ever"? I'm sorry but i've seen high school art projects that were better. Just hope it wasn't a real star wars cabinet that gave up its actual art work for that *sigh*

example : just have a look at the falcon "detail" -> http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/2OQAAOxy3NBSljSf/$_57.JPG
The star wars lettering isn't even aligned!

Anyway, does anyone have any idea on how to repair the data east silver coloring on the playfield apron?

#1123 8 years ago

I think that lettering is that vacuum deposited plating same as R2's head. His head cost me $50 to have redone, don't know if they can do the lettering.

#1124 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Yeah, my bad. I did make a change to the bonus stuff and completely forgot about that. Went into the settings last night, put the bonus stuff back and the Jawa's match scene came back. Thanks for jarring my memory!

Tom

#1125 8 years ago

Don't ya wish all fix's were that easy.

#1126 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Don't ya wish all fix's were that easy.

Oh yeah. After coming off of a Slam Tilt problem with this game, I needed an 'easy' fix.

#1127 8 years ago

Slightly OT!: I just played sega sw trilogy for the first time. I'm not sure why it's so universally hated. I love my desw but frankly, I thought the trilogy had a more engaging rule set. Anyone enlighten me? Perhaps I'll take this to the general forum, but I trust the opinions here.

#1128 8 years ago

Just finished a shop job on mine. Heaps of work. Happy with the outcome. There's still a few things I want to do but can put it back in the bank with my other pins now.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#1129 8 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Just finished a shop job on mine. Heaps of work. Happy with the outcome. There's still a few things I want to do but can put it back in the bank with my other pins now.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Very nice, like you led color placement in the bb.

#1130 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Slightly OT!: I just played sega sw trilogy for the first time. I'm not sure why it's so universally hated. I love my desw but frankly, I thought the trilogy had a more engaging rule set. Anyone enlighten me? Perhaps I'll take this to the general forum, but I trust the opinions here.

Never played on.

#1131 8 years ago

Has anyone made an apron based lcd for their starwars?

Just having a look at available lcd's and im not sure on the size that would fit.

5" hdmi lcd's seem to be the closest to be around the size of the data east logo as i'm looking to have it between the flippers.
Glass clearance seems to be an issue as there is only around 10mm at the narrowest point.

This one (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-inch-800x480-Touch-LCD-Screen-5-Display-For-Raspberry-Pi-Pi2-Model-B-A-Worldwide/32394922313.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.11.FtWUqP ) seems too thick with its gpio connector on the back.

These ones would have the hdmi cable and usb hanging out the side. (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-inch-LCD-HDMI-Touch-Screen-Display-Module-TFT-LCD-800-480-Banana-Pi-Raspberry-Pi/32367583439.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.20.7ME5kE)

#1132 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Very nice, like you led color placement in the bb.

Thanks. It's not blown out with hotspots in person. Might take out the green on Yoda he's green but not that green.

#1133 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Just having a look at available lcd's and im not sure on the size that would fit.
5" hdmi lcd's seem to be the closest to be around the size of the data east logo as i'm looking to have it between the flippers.
Glass clearance seems to be an issue as there is only around 10mm at the narrowest point.
This one (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-inch-800x480-Touch-LCD-Screen-5-Display-For-Raspberry-Pi-Pi2-Model-B-A-Worldwide/32394922313.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.11.FtWUqP ) seems too thick with its gpio connector on the back.
These ones would have the hdmi cable and usb hanging out the side. (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-inch-LCD-HDMI-Touch-Screen-Display-Module-TFT-LCD-800-480-Banana-Pi-Raspberry-Pi/32367583439.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.20.7ME5kE)

I was looking at doing something similar with DMD Extender. I think I was looking at the second monitor you listed. I was going to get a used apron if possible and cut out the bit where the instruction card goes and mount the monitor there - below the apron. I was looking around on Amazon though, not AliExpress.

#1134 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Quoted from DMC:

I was looking at doing something similar with DMD Extender. I think I was looking at the second monitor you listed. I was going to get a used apron if possible and cut out the bit where the instruction card goes and mount the monitor there - below the apron. I was looking around on Amazon though, not AliExpress.

I think it would work best in the center of the apron, that data east logo usually has quite a bid of chrome worn off anyway. Just cut it out and make a bracket that would let the screen hang down underneith so the screen just sticks up a little, that would solve the pf glass clearance problem.

If you guys figure out how to make this mod work PLEASE let us know cuz I want one....but it would have to be a plug-n-play kit, for me anyway.

#1135 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I think it would work best in the center of the apron, that data east logo usually has quite a bid of chrome worn off anyway. Just cut it out and make a bracket that would let the screen hang down underneith so the screen just sticks up a little, that would solve the pf glass clearance problem.
If you guys figure out how to make this mod work PLEASE let us know cuz I want one....but it would have to be a plug-n-play kit, for me anyway.

my god ... its like your inside my head Thats exactly what I want to do. As i'm on the otherside of the world a plug and play kit might be a tad expensive.

I did get it the remote display working last night.

http://i.imgur.com/NtGkwDrl.jpg?1

Just awaiting one last part before its on the apron

#1136 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

my god ... its like your inside my head Thats exactly what I want to do. As i'm on the otherside of the world a plug and play kit might be a tad expensive.
I did get it the remote display working last night.
http://i.imgur.com/NtGkwDrl.jpg?1
Just awaiting one last part before its on the apron

What can I say, great minds think alike. Expensive as in how much would you charge? Could you set it up so just the dmd info would fill the screen and not have the tl image?

#1137 8 years ago

Could someone do me a favor and take a pic of the underside of the playfield concentrating on the flipper mechanisms? I am pretty sure mine is using a combination of different system flipper kits and the only other DE that I have is a TFTC, which uses a different kit, so I can't use it to compare.

Edit - pay no attention to the post above, I found a copy of the manual online and it showed me all the parts I needed to see.

#1138 8 years ago

I gonna have my lock down bar, hinges, bolts and side armor black metallic powder coated. Looked on the swath sample so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for when it's on the parts. Wish me luck.

#1139 8 years ago

Whats the best/safest way to flatten the large background plastic behind the playfield?

You can see it here above and behind R2's head ( http://i.imgur.com/kEsXBm8l.jpg )

My top piece of plastic is bowed out due to the screw hole and the bolt being out of alignment and it just being forced in there . With this extra amount of pressure on it, the slightest touching it on either side will make it bow outwards. As its been held like that probably since it was made but it can catch on the main ramp when its lowered so i'd like to fix it before it gets snapped off.

I want to avoid damaging the paint on the rear of the plastic and/or causing any other weird warping by heating it.

Another question, is there anyway to stiffen up the pop bumper heads? I've had a look top and bottom and they seem to just float loosely(?) with no obvious things I need to tighten.

#1140 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Whats the best/safest way to flatten the large background plastic behind the playfield?
You can see it here above and behind R2's head ( http://i.imgur.com/kEsXBm8l.jpg )
My top piece of plastic is bowed out due to the screw hole and the bolt being out of alignment and it just being forced in there . With this extra amount of pressure on it, the slightest touching it on either side will make it bow outwards. As its been held like that probably since it was made but it can catch on the main ramp when its lowered so i'd like to fix it before it gets snapped off.
I want to avoid damaging the paint on the rear of the plastic and/or causing any other weird warping by heating it.
Another question, is there anyway to stiffen up the pop bumper heads? I've had a look top and bottom and they seem to just float loosely(?) with no obvious things I need to tighten.

That plastic is supposed to be bowed out like that, my LAH is the same way. The pop bumper heads are supposed to work like that. There is nothing to tighten, if you notice the top of the bumper moves down when activated whereas other pop bumper caps stay unmoving.

#1141 8 years ago

I guess I’m officially a member of this club as well. I’ve been wanting a DESW for a long time and finally decided to go through with it.

My game was purchased off Craigslist for 2600, which was a little more than I wanted to spend (the guy wanted 3400 initially). Apparently, a Dad bought it for his 9 year-old son 20 years ago from an arcade in Huntington Beach, CA and it has been used in the home(s) ever since. Although by the way the guy spoke, I don’t think it has received much playtime in awhile.

I’ve got Firebird Pinball in Phoenix, AZ helping me out with the shop job since I’m inexperienced with that stuff. The playfield was very grimy and the cabinet has lots of scuffing. Hopefully, this can all be touched and cleaned up nicely.

I’ve opted for the usual LEDs (including R2 and Death Star). I’ve also requested for the rails, coin door, and legs to all be powder-coated, as they looked pretty bad currently. I’m getting some mirror blades put in as well. And of course, the 20th anniversary ruleset installed.

I’ll take pictures when it’s finished.

The only other mod I was considering was requesting some of the LED flipper buttons installed. Does anyone any examples? I haven’t seen any for this game.

#1142 8 years ago

Well welcome to the club, do you have other games. If you bought it in Cal then the price for condition is a bit high. Look for Vids guide for led buttons. I've done most of my games and it's super simple. Yes post pictures when you get it. Read the threads in the club, lots of good ideas here.

#1143 8 years ago

Thanks! I bought it in AZ where I live. The guy told me that it originally came from CA when he bought it 20 yrs ago.

All the other ones I saw were way too high and shipping would be a good 500. But I'm already prepared to drop well over 1K into the overhaul.

#1144 8 years ago

I am looking to join the club and have been for quite some time, so if anybody knows of one for sale please PM me. I am hoping to find one close to MI but I am willing to buy one out of town and have it shipped to me if the price is right.

Thanks is advance,

#1145 8 years ago
Quoted from alettiere:

Thanks! I bought it in AZ where I live. The guy told me that it originally came from CA when he bought it 20 yrs ago.
All the other ones I saw were way too high and shipping would be a good 500. But I'm already prepared to drop well over 1K into the overhaul.

I see, word has it a new plastics set might be made for it. If it's true I know I'd get one.

#1146 8 years ago
Quoted from hawk370:

I am looking to join the club and have been for quite some time, so if anybody knows of one for sale please PM me. I am hoping to find one close to MI but I am willing to buy one out of town and have it shipped to me if the price is right.
Thanks is advance,

Hope ya find one, I'll keep an eye out for ya.

#1147 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That plastic is supposed to be bowed out like that, my LAH is the same way. The pop bumper heads are supposed to work like that. There is nothing to tighten, if you notice the top of the bumper moves down when activated whereas other pop bumper caps stay unmoving.

Any idea as to why its supposed to be bowed? It actually gets pulled on by the ramp when the playfield is lifted so its not like its so that it clears anything by being bowed.

As for the bumpers .. ahh ok. I just wasn't sure if this was just because this machine has been so abused or that was its default. I'll give them a good thorough strip down and clean anyhow.

#1148 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Any idea as to why its supposed to be bowed? It actually gets pulled on by the ramp when the playfield is lifted so its not like its so that it clears anything by being bowed.

To give it a more 3D effect I don't know. If you did flatten it out it would be to long to fit back there so being bowed is the way it was designed.

#1149 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see, word has it a new plastics set might be made for it. If it's true I know I'd get one.

CRP have scans of someone's originals, I have no idea if they're actually working on it though - with Disney in charge though I'd imaging licensing Star Wars could be challenging/expensive.

Pinball Centre do repro plastics that are apparently good according to a few posters here. http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/star-wars/?p=2

#1150 8 years ago
Quoted from node:

CRP have scans of someone's originals, I have no idea if they're actually working on it though - with Disney in charge though I'd imaging licensing Star Wars could be challenging/expensive.
Pinball Centre do repro plastics that are apparently good according to a few posters here. http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/star-wars/?p=2

I bought a set from a uk place. The edges were rough as hell. Looked like they'd been hand cut out with a hack saw. Pretty disappointed honestly. I'm going to have to sand them back and see if I can smooth them out myself Pretty bad for the extremely expensive price you have to pay for them. Might post pics later.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
PinSound

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.