(Topic ID: 72482)

Data East Star Wars Club...Members & Fans Welcome.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,744 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c7f69cb7e727466a9dbf81e20a2982efb50f5e3d (1) (resized).jpg
20240403_121151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240403_133710_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240403_121203 (resized).jpg
20240403_121219 (resized).jpg
20240403_121236 (resized).jpg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpg
IMG_8263 (resized).jpg
20240327_211638 (resized).jpg
20240327_211610 (resized).jpg
20240326_211038 (resized).jpg
20240311_121514 (resized).jpg
20240226_145845 (resized).jpg
20240226_144735 (resized).jpg
20240226_140945 (resized).jpg
20240226_135857 (resized).jpg
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 95.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Well... OK... Aside from the ridiculous $10K price tag hiring someone airbrush something like this on the cabinet is pretty cool too.
ebay.com link » Data East Star Wars Custom Pinball Machine Most Beautiful Machine Ever

I saw that too. Looks like he had fun making it. The Vader on the back looks a bit odd....long thin neck or something.

#52 10 years ago

Well I'm officially in the club! I drop 19 hours in one day to pick up a star wars and have it in my basement by days end. Mission accomplished. Woke up this morning and already started fixing it up. It's very dirty but I've got the pop bumpers working the way they should be and have installed cliffys in both the force and sarlaac holes. Need to do a heavy clean and wax and replace some plastics. R2 needs some love too but I've already put up 198,000,000 with the new code. Is that a good score? Not sure what's considered good with the new code.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Well I'm officially in the club! I drop 19 hours in one day to pick up a star wars and have it in my basement by days end. Mission accomplished. Woke up this morning and already started fixing it up. It's very dirty but I've got the pop bumpers working the way they should be and have installed cliffys in both the force and sarlaac holes. Need to do a heavy clean and wax and replace some plastics. R2 needs some love too but I've already put up 198,000,000 with the new code. Is that a good score? Not sure what's considered good with the new code.

Hey nice to see you here, that is quite the road trip, glad you and the new pin made it back in one piece. Good to see your fixing it up, it's up to us to keep them alive. I had R2's head rechromed, a little pricey but it looks like new now. Yup that's a very respectable score. Hope you can find the plastics you need, most you can't find. Got any pictures?

#54 10 years ago

What's the verdict on rubber for this game? I need to re-rubber this new addition. Black or White kit? Go...

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey nice to see you here, that is quite the road trip, glad you and the new pin made it back in one piece. Good to see your fixing it up, it's up to us to keep them alive. I had R2's head rechromed, a little pricey but it looks like new now. Yup that's a very respectable score. Hope you can find the plastics you need, most you can't find. Got any pictures?

Yeah... I can throw some up soon.

#56 10 years ago

Another crazy idea just popped in to my head... what do you think of the idea of doing one side white, one side black. Dark/Light side idea...

Thoughts?

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

What's the verdict on rubber for this game? I need to re-rubber this new addition. Black or White kit? Go...

Mine is done in black which I like. To me it looks like there are no bands there to detract from the pf art. I vote black.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Another crazy idea just popped in to my head... what do you think of the idea of doing one side white, one side black. Dark/Light side idea...
Thoughts?

I vote no.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Mine is done in black which I like. To me it looks like there are no bands there to detract from the pf art. I vote black.

Mine has black... and I'm leaning that way.

#60 10 years ago

Picked up SW, my 3rd pin, in July and immediately got Chad's new code. Finally replaced a broken plunger link for drop target, previous owner had 2 broken wrong size ones in bottom of cab.

Put some purple led's under sarlacc pit, replaced white pop bumper caps w/ red ones (had white before). Looks a lot better.

Definitely looks like a toy or something should be in back right corner. There are holes in the plastic for some reason. Was checking pinside to investigate that and came upon this thread.

#61 10 years ago

Sounds like your getting it into shape. White pop caps? Don't you mean clear? The red caps with the circular facets and tall side skirts like the originals? Can't remember the holes, mine has been apart so long.

#62 10 years ago

I have had my SW for about a year and am very happy I decided to add it to my collection. Chads ROM upgrade made a huge difference in gameplay. Those of you who didn't play the pin much before the upgrade was available will not appreciate it how much better it is now. Thanks again Chad! When I bought my machine it was in rough shape with burnt wire harnesses (back box lights), dead switches, bad diodes and DIRTY. The playfield was still in great shape once cleaned and waxed. I have put LED's in, color changing flipper buttons, white rubber, rebuilt the flippers, replaced most of the playfield plastics and just put on a new piece of playfield glass. New playfield glass made a bigger difference than I thought it would. Next on the list is Pinball Pro Speakers, mirror blades and maybe the playfield overlay. Has anyone purchased the overlay for SW yet? Would love to see some hi-res pics if you have one installed. One last note: Which is the better deal or the better pin to buy next? Theater of Magic for $4500 or LOTR for $3700?

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

This is such a well lit game that white rubber will look nice - for the first week. After that, those black marks will show up really well. Mine also has black rubber, and it looks sharp.

#64 10 years ago

Just received my black rubber today. Have it completely done except for the few under the plastic by the jabba scoop and a few posts. Spent 10 hours shopping it before that. Have a few adjustments to make and I'm waiting on a few parts for R2 D2 and she'll be good to go.

#66 10 years ago

It's probably 75% LED's already. The backglass was done. And all inserts under the playfield except the red ones. (Previous owner said he didn't like red inserts LED'd) And the bottom half of the GI is LED's. So I did a very quick guess count and I'm probably 30 LED's away from being finished.

Put up a 461,000,000 with the new code tonight! Merry Christmas!

#67 10 years ago

This game really looks good with leds. I did mine top to bottom with Pinballbulbs, I really like them. 30 will take you no time at all. GREAT score, Merry Christmas.

#68 10 years ago

Not seeming to get any offers or suggestions in the tech support category so I thought I'd drop this here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-r2d2-motor-and-slingshot-questions

Can anyone help?

#69 10 years ago

I thought I'd offer an interesting bit of trivia for those who may not know :

Every Star Wars film starts ( after the scrolling text ) with a spacecraft of some type flying overhead .

I think it's very fitting that the DE Star Wars pinball starts the same way when you hit the start button .

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from MIL:

I thought I'd offer an interesting bit of trivia for those who may not know :
Every Star Wars film starts ( after the scrolling text ) with a spacecraft of some type flying overhead .
I think it's very fitting that the DE Star Wars pinball starts the same way when you hit the start button .

Cool

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from RedNeckHunter:

I have had my SW for about a year and am very happy I decided to add it to my collection. Chads ROM upgrade made a huge difference in gameplay. Those of you who didn't play the pin much before the upgrade was available will not appreciate it how much better it is now. Thanks again Chad! When I bought my machine it was in rough shape with burnt wire harnesses (back box lights), dead switches, bad diodes and DIRTY. The playfield was still in great shape once cleaned and waxed. I have put LED's in, color changing flipper buttons, white rubber, rebuilt the flippers, replaced most of the playfield plastics and just put on a new piece of playfield glass. New playfield glass made a bigger difference than I thought it would. Next on the list is Pinball Pro Speakers, mirror blades and maybe the playfield overlay. Has anyone purchased the overlay for SW yet? Would love to see some hi-res pics if you have one installed. One last note: Which is the better deal or the better pin to buy next? Theater of Magic for $4500 or LOTR for $3700?

I would go with LOTR. If it is good shape then that is a really good price! Even more so, LOTR is just a really fun game with an enduring quality to it. ToM is beautiful, but seems to get old after a while.
Good luck!

#72 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice MAJRob! Missed out on both pins however. I will just be content with the ones I have for now! Ordered a playfield protector and the Pinball Pro speaker set for my Star Wars today. I will post pictures once the protector is installed. Also found some snap together models that are a good scale for this machine. Picked up Darth Vaders tie fighter and a snow speeder. They are very detailed and easy to assemble.IMG_20140101_202853.JPGIMG_20140101_202853.JPG

IMG_20140101_202920.JPGIMG_20140101_202920.JPGIMG_20140101_202948.JPGIMG_20140101_202948.JPGYou can probably find them on Ebay.

#73 10 years ago

Well for sh=t sakes. I was doing some adjustments on my machine tonight. Fixed the knocker that hasn't worked since I got it, had my left slingshot not firing properly so I fixed that, cleaned my drop targets/assembly and replaced the missing decals... and then before I stopped for the night I thought I'd just make an adjustment on a roll over switch that was sticking up a little too high for my liking and the little bastard snapped.

Thought I might be able to solder the wire back on for a temporary fix till I could get a new switch but solder doesn't take to whatever this metal wire form is.

Kind of a piss off. Anyone know where you could find this switch?

Alot of places I pulled up our out of stock.

It's the right orbit loop switch (#17 in the manual) - 500-5142-00.

Also... wouldn't mind scoring a few more drop targets. All are fine now but I noticed one is cracking so I'd like to have one on standby.

#74 10 years ago

One of the small joys of owning these older games....finding parts. No idea where to find it, sorry.

#75 10 years ago

Wanna unsolder yours and give it to me?? LOL

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Wanna unsolder yours and give it to me?? LOL

You couldn't afford it.

#77 10 years ago

I am--very, very reluctantly--considering selling my Star Wars pin. I have to make room for The Hobbit. It comes down to whether to sell any one of three of my older pins--or perhaps two of the three. SW is a great favorite with guests, but it is also the pin I have had the longest, so I am playing it less now than before. Anyway, if someone in the NC area is seriously interested, please PM me.

UPDATE: Sold to local Pinsider.

#78 10 years ago

Just finished putting my game back together, had to tig weld the front right tab on the metal ramp and 2 wires on the right wire ramp. Also added were new double clear outlane guides, rechromed R2s head, cleaned and waxed all plastics and pf, led'd top and bottom of pf and bb, new chrome legs and feet, new balls, new rubbers rings, new translight, frame & glass, new pf glass, new bb speaker and lastly took out the shot cab speaker and put a 200 watt 8in. sub under the game.

Here's a picture of it next to Star Trek and Space Shuttle....I call it the 3 S's.

The first game after this 3 month job was 224 million.

SW-ST-SS.JPGSW-ST-SS.JPG

I will be putting on 3-4 of Pinballbulbs double spot lights with purple bulbs, it needs more light to be played in a dark room.

#79 10 years ago

Anyone have any leads or tips on repairing/replacing the Death Star target? Mine has finally broken. Can't belive this hasn't been remade yet, and with all of the 3D printing that's going on these days, seems like this is a natural.

#80 10 years ago

Oh that's a tough one, wish I could help.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from williams:

Anyone have any leads or tips on repairing/replacing the Death Star target? Mine has finally broken. Can't belive this hasn't been remade yet, and with all of the 3D printing that's going on these days, seems like this is a natural.

I'd keep an eye out on eBay, NOS ones were coming up there for a while not to long ago. I brought one myself, they were way over priced but when you need one you need one.

I'm in the club too by the way. I've had mine for about two years and owning it has probably saved me money over playing one in the arcades with the amount of games my friends and I have played it. Kids and other guests always gravitate to this pin also. This ones a keeper for me.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sounds like your getting it into shape. White pop caps? Don't you mean clear? The red caps with the circular facets and tall side skirts like the originals? Can't remember the holes, mine has been apart so long.

sorry, hadn't been checking this thread. I did mean clear pop caps. These are the red ones I got.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5199-02

#83 10 years ago

Does anyone else have the issue of the ball flying off the ramp? Maybe it's because I just cleaned and waxed but it's happened a lot lately and I'm concerned about my death star taking a few lumps. Is anyone aware of a mod that would make the wire rail a full cage to keep the ball in it's place?

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from BoP:

I'd keep an eye out on eBay, NOS ones were coming up there for a while not to long ago. I brought one myself, they were way over priced but when you need one you need one.

I did see that. They were going for $75. I'm hoping for a better, cheaper solution.

I was hoping that by moving the target to the down position and deactivating the motor would cause the software to compensate due to lack of switch hits on the target. Sadly, I can confirm this is not the case.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Does anyone else have the issue of the ball flying off the ramp? Maybe it's because I just cleaned and waxed but it's happened a lot lately and I'm concerned about my death star taking a few lumps. Is anyone aware of a mod that would make the wire rail a full cage to keep the ball in it's place?

No problem with mine but I have recently played one which did this. The wire form on this machine had more of a tilt back on it than it should have. Where it connected into the metal ramp it seemed to bed slightly flatter than it should be. If there is any tilt back on your wire form, I'd start there.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from williams:

I did see that. They were going for $75. I'm hoping for a better, cheaper solution.
I was hoping that by moving the target to the down position and deactivating the motor would cause the software to compensate due to lack of switch hits on the target. Sadly, I can confirm this is not the case.

It's a lot of money for not much. Hopefully someone does a repo on these sometime soon.

#87 10 years ago

I just went through this nice SW club thread and I picked up a few things. Thanks guys! I hope I can contribute down the road.

The Data East Star Wars was our first pinball machine and because my entire family loved it so much, we now have 8 other pins, but everyone still loves SW. My son told me the other day to never sell the SW machine. I haven't put any mods or LEDs in it yet, other than Chad's 20th Ann ROM, but will be sprucing it up shortly.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from williams:

The center "eye" target in my LOTR gets abused and chipped/cracked a couple of times already. Ever since I added a target decal that I made with 3M rubberized double-sided tape, it's been intact despite getting the same amount of abuse. It's pretty thick and probably what's contributing to some protection of the target.

I wonder if the thick decal would provide the same protection for the death star target. I will check the target for front edge clearance and if possible, place a decal on it and report back. Had anyone else given this a try yet?

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

I just went through this nice SW club thread and I picked up a few things. Thanks guys! I hope I can contribute down the road.
The Data East Star Wars was our first pinball machine and because my entire family loved it so much, we now have 8 other pins, but everyone still loves SW. My son told me the other day to never sell the SW machine. I haven't put any mods or LEDs in it yet, other than Chad's 20th Ann ROM, but will be sprucing it up shortly.

Welcome. LED's really make the game more colorful.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

The center "eye" target in my LOTR gets abused and chipped/cracked a couple of times already. Ever since I added a target decal that I made with 3M rubberized double-sided tape, it's been intact despite getting the same amount of abuse. It's pretty thick and probably what's contributing to some protection of the target.
I wonder if the thick decal would provide the same protection for the death star target. I will check the target for front edge clearance and if possible, place a decal on it and report back. Had anyone else given this a try yet?

Give it a try and report back, sounds interesting.

#91 10 years ago

Just wanted to post some pictures of my playfield protector install.IMG_20140106_225300.JPGIMG_20140106_225300.JPG
This was what I had to remove in order to place the protector on. Got out the Mr. Clean magic eraser and gave the playfield a good once over and test fit the overlay. Fit really well and had no problems with my Cliffy's hanging up on the force or sarlacc pits.IMG_20140106_225515.JPGIMG_20140106_225515.JPG
This is a picture of the playfield once I removed the protective film off the overlay. It looks really close to a clear coat job with a very glossy finish.IMG_20140107_013121.JPGIMG_20140107_013121.JPG
All put back together and am pleased with the results. I played about five games tonight and noticed that it is playing much faster than before. Will keep you all posted on how this thing holds up over time. As far as the death star target...I just keep a some super glue handy!

#92 10 years ago

Never seen one of those applied before. Be interesting to hear how it holds up.

#93 10 years ago

I love the after picture of the playfield protector. Where did you buy it and how much did it cost?

Does anyone know where I can pick up a Darth Vader topper?

#94 10 years ago

Ever wish you could just put a couple balls on the shelf during a multi-ball so you could focus on the task at hand a little better?

This happened the other day. Stayed there until I'd lost the other 2 ball then I shook her loose.

Ball on the shelf.jpgBall on the shelf.jpg

#95 10 years ago

Never had that happen. Is yours leveled and pitcher rite?

#97 10 years ago

Well then that's a one in a million shot then.

#98 10 years ago

You should have opened that line with "Great shot kid," LOL

#100 10 years ago

Ou

Quoted from BestShot31:I love the after picture of the playfield protector. Where did you buy it and how much did it cost?
Does anyone know where I can pick up a Darth Vader topper?

You can pick up the playfield protector at bay area amusements for around $140 with shipping. I think the Darth Vader topper is kinda dull and with all of the star wars toys out there you should be able to come up with something really cool. They make lots of detailed helmets for kids that you could put some leds in and have a one of a kind machine. I just have to talk my five year old out of his Boba Fett helmet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,744 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.