You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2e92bd9c93f90d3851753c5683fd81a48955babd (resized).jpg
DIP_DE (resized).jpg
20161122_213122 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've been working on a guy's DE Star Trek which has multiple problems. The first thing was a weird looking Duracell battery had exploded all over the place and battery acid was everywhere. The guy called me because the pin had recently stopped working and he wanted it fixed, naturally. From the extent of the damage, I recommended buying a new MPU and PPB board. I looked the machine over and didn't find any other problems. When the boards came in, I changed out both boards and to increase the probability of the game working, I went ahead and dropped in a new Power Supply board. I turned the game on, but it did not boot up. I had solid red lights on all boards, but no blinking LED on the MPU. I checked all of the TPs and got good voltage on the TPs for the Power Supply, but not the MPU, or PPB board. The MPU +5 volts checked good, but the +28 volts was reading .04 volts. The 28+ volts TP on the PPB read 72.2volts and the 50+ vdc TO read 76.5 volts. I took all of the connectors off of the MPU, except for CN17 and powered up, but the MPU did not boot and all I got was a solid red LED on the +5V and the PIA. The blank did not blink.
All new Rottendog boards (MPU, PPB, and Power Supply).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

One more thing. When I turn the game on, I get "Scott here" and there is nothing on the display. No fuses blown.

#3 6 years ago

I would suggest you start by swapping the old boards back in and then put the new ones in one at a time, testing as you go, rather than swapping them all at once.

#4 6 years ago

Did you test these 2 fuses with a meter? 20161122_213122 (resized).jpg20161122_213122 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

As I explained, the battery corrosion "explosion" had corrupted too much of board for it to boot. I did try and power up the game as it was and I was getting nothing on the MPU. Yes, I checked both of those fuses and they are good. Shouldn't the MPU boot, if it is isolated and not connected to anything else?

#6 6 years ago

I was getting good voltage on the +5 of the MPU, but not the 28+ vdc. I am not that good with schematics, so are you indicating that the lack of voltage on the +28vdc comes from those fuses? Where does the power come from before that point? The transformer? The guy said the game was playing and just stopped, so I naturally was thinking fuses from the beginning, so I checked all of the ones that were not replaced with the new ones on the new boards.

#7 6 years ago

Can you post picture of the power supply connected and the MPU with the power cable plugged in and power turned on?

#8 6 years ago

It will have to be later in the week, as the guy has limited availability.

#9 6 years ago

How did you check voltages at the boards? Make sure you are using ground on the boards to rule out faulty ground wire. Did the new boards come with all new ICs including new ROMs, or did you transfer ROM software from the old boards? If the boards are indeed new and working the first thing I would suspect is wiring. Start by isolating the MPU, no display boards, sound boards etc plugged in to make sure nothing else is dragging things down.

We can only *assume* the new boards actually work unless they can be tested in a working game...just something to keep in mind.

#10 6 years ago

All voltages were checked using the grounding point on the new boards. The boards did not include ROMs, so I replaced the old ones. I visually inspected the ROMs and brushed the legs off before inserting them into the new boards. I did isolate the MPU and had no blinking LED and there was a very decreased power reading coming from the +28 vdc test point.

#11 6 years ago

Used the old ROMs. Would these hamper the voltage input into the MPU? Pardon my ignorance!

#12 6 years ago

Dip switch set properly?

DIP_DE (resized).jpgDIP_DE (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Yes. That was the first thing I accomplished after taking it out of the bag.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

the MPU did not boot and all I got was a solid red LED on the +5V and the PIA. The blank did not blink.

If the PIA started solid and stayed solid...I'm thinking your ROM is a problem.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm
PIA LED turns ON (and stays on), blanking LED never turns on: EPROM at location 5C and/or 5B is bad.

#15 6 years ago

That sounds very logical; I will order some ROMs and report back.
Thank you very much for the assistance!

#16 6 years ago

I am still waiting on the ROMs for the CPU, but I keep thinking about the incredibly high readings on the test points of the PPB. Any ideas?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

I am still waiting on the ROMs for the CPU, but I keep thinking about the incredibly high readings on the test points of the PPB. Any ideas?

I'd start by checking the incoming AC to the PPB before the bridge rectifier, see where that is sitting at. This is a PPB-1 correct? I just don't see test points on it. The 50VDC is rectified on board, so you'd want to see the AC coming in to that at J4 pins 3 to 4. A valid test point for the DC would be out of the bridge at the positive side of C1. The +32VDC is not rectified at the PPB, but comes in to the PPB from the power supply CN3 pin 5.

2e92bd9c93f90d3851753c5683fd81a48955babd (resized).jpg2e92bd9c93f90d3851753c5683fd81a48955babd (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

This is a Rotten dog PPB. The 28vdc test point was reading 72vdc and the 50vdc was reading 76vdc.

#19 6 years ago

I will check those areas that you mentioned. I will probably go back to the guy's house on Saturday. I will report back then. Thanks for the help!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

This is a Rotten dog PPB.

Ah, yes. Forgot about that. Rottendog doesn't appear to have the schematics for PPB001 on their website.

2 weeks later
#21 6 years ago

I received the ROMs and they did nothing to help the board boot. I will be checking those areas that you mentioned tomorrow. I have two machines to work on at the same place (STNG + DE Star Trek), so I had to move on to STNG.
The most difficult part of this is having limited skills and having so many issues (of the re-import type) to deal with, not to mention the guy does not have internet (or wi-fi), so I can't access information while I am working. I also don't have the "phone-a-friend" option!
Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-trek-wont-boot-up-with-new-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.