Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinPall007
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello pinball technophiles! I have an issue with the chase lights on my DEST. As soon as I turn on the machine the first set of lights comes on immediately. The other two sets (there are 3 on each side) flash in sequence and speed up/slow down as they're supposed to.The first set is powered through the orange and brown wire. The other 2 are orange/red and orange/black. The leads from the CPU come from CN3 and are blue/red, blue/orange and blue/brown.

I've replaced the chase light PCB with a new one from Marco. The chase light ropes all work. I tested the TIPs on the PCB and I also did a continuity test throughout the whole wire harness that supplies the chase lights. I spoke with a technician from Stern who said it might be a bad PIA at location 11B. However, when I start the machine, the row of LEDs on the CPU lights in the proper sequence, indicating all the PIAs are in working order. This same system is used on Hook.

If anyone knows or has a clue as to what might be the problem I'd be most grateful to learn about it. Thank you to all who offer help.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

As soon as I turn on the machine the first set of lights comes on immediately. The other two sets (there are 3 on each side) flash in sequence and speed up/slow down as they're supposed to.
However, when I start the machine, the row of LEDs on the CPU lights in the proper sequence,

I don't really understand the problem. Exactly what is it that does not work?
Looks to me if everything works when you press start there is no problem?

I would start by measuring.
Do you measure pulses on CN1-5/6/7? These are the inputs of the chase light board, and when a string is going on, you can measure this on the connector.

The do the same on CN3 on the CPU.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I understand your confusion. Upon powering the game up, the first row of lights is illuminated. Initially, no lights should come on until the start button is pressed. And once the pin is started for play all three rows should come on in a chase formation, rather than one row of lights constantly illuminated without a pulse. So, only two rows flash while the first row stays on without pulsing.

I didn't bother checking for a pulse because the first row doesn't pulse at all. Therefore, the output will not be pulsing. Furthermore, connection points CN1 and CN2 on the CPU are not used. There are no harnesses coming from those points. Perhaps there's something there you know that I don't. If so, I'd love to know more.

In conclusion, the PIA at position 8H has been replaced utilizing a new socket, which is not stock on this CPU. This tells me that there was some kind of problem prior to my purchasing this machine.

Again, thank you very much to all who respond. This problem is the most goofy and strange among the eight machines I own and have repaired.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

I didn't bother checking for a pulse because the first row doesn't pulse at all. Therefore, the output will not be pulsing.

That is correct, but if a string is continuously on, the problem can be anywhere in the logic.
From PIA, to pullup resistors, a bad connection, to an IC.
Measuring at certain points in the string can give more information.

Reading your 1st post and looking at the schematics I can conclude that the PIA which was formerly used for AN displays is now used for the strobing of the chase lights in this machine. That is then controlled by a PIA at 11B and connected through CN3. The PIA at 8H is used for switches according to the manual, and has nothing to do with this problem.

If you check the pulsing on CN3 of the MPU for the string that is continuously on, you know if the output of the PIA (11B) is good.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

However, when I start the machine, the row of LEDs on the CPU lights in the proper sequence, indicating all the PIAs are in working order.

Now I see what you mean.
The PIA led on the CPU only checks the communication between the processor and the PIAs. If a single output of a PIA does not work it is not detected by this test.

#6 10 years ago

Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for this information. I haven't had the chance yet to check the points you described, but I definitely will tomorrow when time avails. Also, your information on the PIA test LED clears up the confusion about the suspect 11B chip. I'm confident that testing this chip will reveal the cause of the problem. I will let you know when I find out. Thanks again for helping me to see through this problem more clearly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-trek-chase-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.