Data East Star Trek 25th Anniv issues

By MechaJubei

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Heya all,

Recently picked up a Data East Star Trek 25th Anniversary and am having some issues with it that I can't track down.

1) DMD Issue. The display test shows all pixels working, nice and bright. However during gameplay there are certain times where the dots look faded, seems similar to being gassed out I guess but since the display test works fine I don't think that's the issue. After ball drains it it shows the "Bonus" the top of the text for "Bonus" is faded/missing. Also the "Unlimited Millions" the millions score is halfway missing.

2) Whenever I hit the left flipper the score goes up randomly and will eventually trigger the "Unlimited Millions". Doesn't seem to do it with right flipper though, so that's strange.

3) Randomly it will kick out two balls at the beginning of the game / ball. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it does this.

Things I've done to troubleshoot -

1) For DMD issue I reseated the ribbons. That's about it so far. I guess I'm thinking maybe it's a display driver board issue?

2) I put it in switch test mode and hit the flippers and shook the game to see if maybe vibrations are causing a switch to activate. No luck - no other switches activate. Also checked to see if there were any stuck open switched and the test showed there were none.

3) For the ball issue I tried to look at the switches but I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for there. I didn't see the optic board or anything like that...is there one on this machine?

I took a video of of the DMD issue that also includes the scoring when I hit the flipper. The problems should be pretty obvious in the video otehr than the two-ball kickout one...and when the score isn't going up is when I am hitting the right flipper. Here is the link -

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Imma little drunk but have the same game. It makes me wonder if the diodes are okay on the left flipper or the switches on the stand up targets are too close together. The unlimited millions starts if you hit the two targets that are to the right and left of the middle swinging target. The millions you are getting in the video is the swing target regestering, perhaps the switch is too close. When a coil fires or a light turns off it gives a "kickback" of power. Diodes prevent this. . .see if when you flip the left flipper that lights don't flicker (led lights will show this very well.). If you see a flickering of light, it may be the diode that blocks the "kickback".

PS The DMD does look a little out gassed.

2 weeks later
#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Imma little drunk but have the same game. It makes me wonder if the diodes are okay on the left flipper or the switches on the stand up targets are too close together. The unlimited millions starts if you hit the two targets that are to the right and left of the middle swinging target. The millions you are getting in the video is the swing target regestering, perhaps the switch is too close. When a coil fires or a light turns off it gives a "kickback" of power. Diodes prevent this. . .see if when you flip the left flipper that lights don't flicker (led lights will show this very well.). If you see a flickering of light, it may be the diode that blocks the "kickback".
PS The DMD does look a little out gassed.

Thanks for the info! So the scoring problem indeed was the center switches needing calibration! I got that fixed now. I did find a diode with a broken leg on one of the dropdown targets of "STAR" and fixed that as well, but now I'm having an issue where if a flasher goes off it kicks one of the coils...like the ball kickout and the knocker. For example if the "Ice Planet 10 Million" blue flasher goes off then the knocker will go off too sometimes. I think this might be a L/R relay issue so I am going to try and replace that. I've heard it could be something with the Q29 transistor too. Have you heard of something like this?

#4 6 years ago

Just wanted to fill peeps in on the issue I was having. I replaced the L/R relay that controls the flashers/coils and it fixed the issue! So, other than the display issue everything is fixed. I'm not sold that it's a gassing issue quite yet though due to it looking 100% fine in the display test and only acting up during very specific times when playing. I'll post up again if I figure that one out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-trek-25th-anniv-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.