Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by krivoap
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

During power up on my Data East Star Trek 25 the DMD initially displays "DISPLAY STAR TREK A1.06" with the display code version and Scotty says "Scotty here" and then the screen goes blank and no sound; never displays the CPU code version. I am then unable to enter the service menu, and if I press start, the playfield lights and start button start to cycle on and off rapidly but no game start. Wondering if there is a voltage supply, memory fault, or something else. Anybody ever seen this behavior on a Data East game? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

What are the diagnostic LEDs on the CPU board doing?

viperrwk

#3 10 years ago

On mine, one of the switch wires for the target to the left of the swinging target broke off and shorted to a light socket under the playfield. This caused a slam tilt condition that did almost exactly what yours is doing. After I found the switch and repaired it I also had to replace a diode and resistor in the switch matrix on the board.

Good luck. Jay

#4 10 years ago

Make sure everything is grounded. My CFTBL took forever to boot until I tightened the screws on the boards in the head.

#5 10 years ago

check the logic 5 Vcc on mpu
or some poor contact ? heated on power supply board VAC input which feed the 5 vcc logic

#6 10 years ago

Did you by chance just update your machine?
If so did you remember to flip switch 8 back?

#7 10 years ago

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Sorry I forgot to mention in my original post that diagnostics appear correct on power up: initial state PIA on, +5V on, BLANKING off; final state PIA off, +5V on, BLANKING on. No recent updates or tweaks to the game; turned it off at night and it didn't start the next day. In the past it did however have an occasional intermittent problem of sound board resets during game play with Scotty calling out "Scotty here" a while back that hadn't happened for quite some time. I can sort of activate the slam tilt when it is in this mode causing the playfield lights to go dark when triggering the door slam tilt. Will check voltages and look for fried connectors and grounds and report back any progress. Thanks.

#8 10 years ago

Thank you all for your many great suggestions. The honest answer is I have no idea why it is working again, but while poking around the back box searching for bad connectors, loose grounds, and trying to locate the voltage test pin while wearing my new bifocals (getting old sucks), and then powering up, it then booted normally. I'm guessing I must have a loose connector somewhere in there; not sure why my first go around at reseating connectors did nothing, but it seems ok for the time being. Thank you all for your help!

#9 10 years ago

Awesome! Yet another mystery! Good to hear it is back up and running!

9 months later
#10 9 years ago

Ok, so things seemed to be working well for a while until the same thing happened again. Discovered a number of burnt connectors on the power board and a number of apparent hacks on the board. Now the game boots but takes a few minutes after hearing "Scotty Here" before it completes the start up sequence and then the display comes on. So here is the really odd thing, the game call outs are occasionally out of sync with the DMD and play and make no sense; for example, when missing the ship skill shot on ball launch, it will incorrectly shout "Millions", or when the shoot again occurs, the graphics get stuck on the score and don't display the phaser but the sound is correct, or one of my favorites, it randomly eject two balls into the shooter lane even when one is still in play. Maybe a loose ribbon cable? Corrupt game EPROMs? I welcome any thought and comments. Of note, I tried looking elsewhere (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-trek-25th-anniversary-wont-boot-just-says-scotty-here) but am still scratching my head.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-trek-25-hangs-during-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.