Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Refurbing my Data East Star Wars and found that the woofer was not a woofer but a crappy mid-range speaker. I recently upgraded my Woofer on my TZ following this guide:
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

But this guide doesnt apply to the Data East. It seems that each speaker has its own amplifier. So my questions:
1. Do I need a crossover on the woofer?
2. Do i need an LPAD, if so how should i hook it up?

#2 5 years ago

DE speakers are 4ohm if I’m not mistaken.

The boards put out good sound to the backbox speakers generally, so I wouldn’t worry about replacing them.

The L-PAD is a good idea, because you can’t dial in each speaker individually otherwise. Crossover also a very good idea but not required

FWIW the PinballPro/FF/PinSound solutions aren’t that expensive and are direct replacements. PinSound board takes the game to another whole level

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

DE speakers are 4ohm if I’m not mistaken.
The boards put out good sound to the backbox speakers generally, so I wouldn’t worry about replacing them.
The L-PAD is a good idea, because you can’t dial in each speaker individually otherwise. Crossover also a very good idea but not required
FWIW the PinballPro/FF/PinSound solutions aren’t that expensive and are direct replacements. PinSound board takes the game to another whole level

according to this post it is an 8 ohm woofer and they used an 8 ohm crossover.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/18#post-2347878

would i need two LPADs one for the mid range and the tweeter? If i can use 2 how would i wire them?

#4 5 years ago

For whatever it is worth I upgraded my TFTC speakers to FF. There was a very minor sound improvement unlike on most other pins I've used FF's on. The cab speaker might be worth improving, but I'm with Rd1978--the standard backbox speakers are evidently pretty good.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

For whatever it is worth I upgraded my TFTC speakers to FF. There was a very minor sound improvement unlike on most other pins I've used FF's on. The cab speaker might be worth improving, but I'm with Rd1978--the standard backbox speakers are evidently pretty good.

yes i am not going to mess with the backbox speakers just the woofer. But if i need to add an LPAD to make the bass kick, not sure how to do it via the wiring?

#6 5 years ago

I'm of no help there, as I just bolted in the Flipper Fidelity speaker kit.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm of no help there, as I just bolted in the Flipper Fidelity speaker kit.

can anyone help?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

can anyone help?

I put one of these in my DESW.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072YJZWMM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title

Wired it directly in, no LPAD. Stock soundcard (for now, I have a pinsound in another machine and love it).

All the LPAD can do is turn down the woofer anyway, and I don't think you'll need that.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I put one of these in my DESW. Wired it directly in, no LPAD. Stock soundcard (for now, I have a pinsound in another machine and love it).
All the LPAD can do is turn down the woofer anyway, and I don't think you'll need that.

FWIW the LPad turns down the backbox on at least the PinballPro installation, which is valuable - but not required obviously

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

FWIW the LPad turns down the backbox on at least the PinballPro installation, which is valuable - but not required obviously

Ah, my bad. I thought he meant it was going to attach to the woofer.

I replaced all the speakers in both my Data East machines with $35 worth of speakers per machine from amazon. One has a pinsound card and it sounds much better, but then again I incorporated Scott Danesi's TNA soundtrack into Lethal Weapon 3

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Ah, my bad. I thought he meant it was going to attach to the woofer.
I replaced all the speakers in both my Data East machines with $35 worth of speakers per machine from amazon. One has a pinsound card and it sounds much better, but then again I incorporated Scott Danesi's TNA soundtrack into Lethal Weapon 3

Awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-upgrade?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.