Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 87 days ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

Refurbing my Data East Star Wars and found that the woofer was not a woofer but a crappy mid-range speaker. I recently upgraded my Woofer on my TZ following this guide:
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

But this guide doesnt apply to the Data East. It seems that each speaker has its own amplifier. So my questions:
1. Do I need a crossover on the woofer?
2. Do i need an LPAD, if so how should i hook it up?

#2 3 months ago

DE speakers are 4ohm if I’m not mistaken.

The boards put out good sound to the backbox speakers generally, so I wouldn’t worry about replacing them.

The L-PAD is a good idea, because you can’t dial in each speaker individually otherwise. Crossover also a very good idea but not required

FWIW the PinballPro/FF/PinSound solutions aren’t that expensive and are direct replacements. PinSound board takes the game to another whole level

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

DE speakers are 4ohm if I’m not mistaken.
The boards put out good sound to the backbox speakers generally, so I wouldn’t worry about replacing them.
The L-PAD is a good idea, because you can’t dial in each speaker individually otherwise. Crossover also a very good idea but not required
FWIW the PinballPro/FF/PinSound solutions aren’t that expensive and are direct replacements. PinSound board takes the game to another whole level

according to this post it is an 8 ohm woofer and they used an 8 ohm crossover.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-star-wars-clubmembers-fans-welcome/page/18#post-2347878

would i need two LPADs one for the mid range and the tweeter? If i can use 2 how would i wire them?

#4 3 months ago

For whatever it is worth I upgraded my TFTC speakers to FF. There was a very minor sound improvement unlike on most other pins I've used FF's on. The cab speaker might be worth improving, but I'm with Rd1978--the standard backbox speakers are evidently pretty good.

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from Billy16:

For whatever it is worth I upgraded my TFTC speakers to FF. There was a very minor sound improvement unlike on most other pins I've used FF's on. The cab speaker might be worth improving, but I'm with Rd1978--the standard backbox speakers are evidently pretty good.

yes i am not going to mess with the backbox speakers just the woofer. But if i need to add an LPAD to make the bass kick, not sure how to do it via the wiring?

#6 3 months ago

I'm of no help there, as I just bolted in the Flipper Fidelity speaker kit.

#7 87 days ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm of no help there, as I just bolted in the Flipper Fidelity speaker kit.

can anyone help?

#8 87 days ago
#9 87 days ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

can anyone help?

I put one of these in my DESW.

amazon.com link »

Wired it directly in, no LPAD. Stock soundcard (for now, I have a pinsound in another machine and love it).

All the LPAD can do is turn down the woofer anyway, and I don't think you'll need that.

#10 87 days ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I put one of these in my DESW. Wired it directly in, no LPAD. Stock soundcard (for now, I have a pinsound in another machine and love it).
All the LPAD can do is turn down the woofer anyway, and I don't think you'll need that.

FWIW the LPad turns down the backbox on at least the PinballPro installation, which is valuable - but not required obviously

#11 87 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

FWIW the LPad turns down the backbox on at least the PinballPro installation, which is valuable - but not required obviously

Ah, my bad. I thought he meant it was going to attach to the woofer.

I replaced all the speakers in both my Data East machines with $35 worth of speakers per machine from amazon. One has a pinsound card and it sounds much better, but then again I incorporated Scott Danesi's TNA soundtrack into Lethal Weapon 3

#12 87 days ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Ah, my bad. I thought he meant it was going to attach to the woofer.
I replaced all the speakers in both my Data East machines with $35 worth of speakers per machine from amazon. One has a pinsound card and it sounds much better, but then again I incorporated Scott Danesi's TNA soundtrack into Lethal Weapon 3

Awesome!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
North Mankato, MN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside