IMG_5804 (resized).jpeg
94AE701C-5518-43C4-B52F-8FC03767E098 (resized).jpeg
D56D8EA3-8EBB-449F-BA0A-BC3FD0272195 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230115_032422706 (resized).jpg
60E92D30-2687-480A-8242-068D65E0BECF (resized).jpeg
AC7026D1-8CF7-437D-9EA8-3AF740FF4B35 (resized).jpeg
5FCF262D-EAD5-4053-936A-F209742EF41B (resized).jpeg
AD2D171F-D9C6-4FF5-9B1B-D7974CEECC7A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nyp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#485 4 years ago

I didn't read all 10 pages but has anyone had success with a new rottendog power supply improving the hum? In my case I don't want to install a switching power supply, I consider that a hack, but to each his own. The dmd makes it's own mild hum but doesn't improve the sound hum when unlpugged. If the lamps are contributing to the hum, I plan on switching to LED's anyway, wondering if that improves the hum. I may send my sound board out for a recapping just for the hell of it if nothing else works, will report back.

#490 4 years ago

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping the newest revised rottendog power supply will help more than hurt, needed one anyway. Then I'll swap out LED's, then I'll probably recap the sound board whether it needs it or not but I'm sure it won't hurt. BTW, not in this particular case, but I have had some improvements in the past by tightening the 4 bolts that bolt down the transformer, worth a try.

#493 4 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Been there, dont that lol. I tightened the bolts that go THROUGH the transformer to much that some of them ended up snapping and I had to replace them (and they are not a standard size/length so I had to order them online). But thats all good now, and did not help the hum.

I was talking about the bolts that bolt it down to the bottom of the cabinet, not the bolts that go through the actual transformer. The idea being it helps to ground the transformer better to the ground strapping that runs underneath it, and I always seem to find those bolts are loose. It's not a miracle cure by any means but has improved the hum in a few instances.

4 weeks later
#508 4 years ago

Okayy, well a little feedback on my experience to get rid of the hum. Installed a new rottendog power supply, new speakers, new ribbon cables, checked all the grounds, groundstraps etc, tightened transformer, had ALL caps changed on sound board, isolated ground on sound board with plastic washers, MUCH improved but still a mild hum. Installed an auxiliary power supply and no hum! So like many things in life I took the long way around the block, I don't usually give up easy and I inherently do not like to hack machines (at least I consider it a hack-however neatly installed and reversible). And so now I know what I need to do in the future with Data East hum problems......

7 months later
#550 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Has it held up?
How long have you had it installed .
What are the specs ?
When I go to Description it says unsecure site.

Been about a year, got rid of the hum, holding up fine. Small enough to hide in the backbox, no complaints.

3 weeks later
#561 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Dumb question - how did you wire up the Meanwell? I have a LAH that's getting unbearable. I'll clean up and reflow connectors/header pins, but am really interested in a fix especially if it's cheap.

I found a place in the backbox to mount the power supply. I disconnected the power plug to the sound board and tucked it away and made up a new harness with connectors to go from the power supply to the power in to the sound board. I like to do things like this reversible so things can be put back the way they were and not permanently cut alter or hack the existing wiring harness. It's best if you try to use color correct wires when making up the harness, black for ground, red for +5 etc. Then I took 2 longer wires for the 110 ( black & white ) and ran them down through into the bottom cabinet and tapped off the 110 from the transformer. I checked to make sure it was switched so it goes on and off with the power switch. All wires neatly zip tied or tucked into the cable clamps so it looks factory.

1 year later
#759 2 years ago

Would this work on a sega terminator 3 ?

Quoted from ChanceKJ:

[quoted image]

#762 2 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

The hum on Whitestar boards is probably due to the resistor values at R110 and R106. There's info on it at PinWiki:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Loud_Hum_and.2For_Distortion_at_Low_Sound_Levels
I changed the resistors on my TSPP probably about 10 years ago. Made a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the info, I read up on that while googling, think I’ll give the resistor fix a try.

2 months later
#838 2 years ago

I've worked on and sold enough new Data East games to confidently say, they did not hum like this when they were new.

11 months later
#941 1 year ago

I think many of you are forgetting the original fix for this. To buy a small power supply, I used the mean well rt50b (about $40) . You mount it wherever you want, tie it into a switchable 110 so it turns off. Then run wires to the connector that supplies power to the sound board and disconnect the old one and tuck it away. I think it's ground, +5, 12, and maybe -12 0r -5, I forget, but it's somewhere in this thread. It's not that difficult. I've used this method many times and it always worked.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nyp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure?tu=nyp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.