Topic Stats

• 514 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by jimgravina
  • Topic is favorited by 129 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 54 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

14BEA662-93E0-4F27-A196-FFC501344C0D (resized).jpeg
72830EAE-6AC1-4C18-9233-E105D0DB486A (resized).jpeg
014337EE-420C-4448-8B33-959749FB3C80 (resized).jpeg
20190921_110322 (resized).jpg
20190921_110226 (resized).jpg
20190921_110738 (resized).jpg
20DF2860-BF50-4FB9-968E-6EC7C6CA306F (resized).jpeg
IMG_6984 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matt_rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago

To bring this up again, could someone point me to the caps in my JP on the soundboard that I would change to try to clear this up?

2 weeks later
#19 6 years ago

Any luck with this guys? I'm going to try to replace the cap this weekend and see what happens.

1 week later
#37 6 years ago

Well, recapped the entire sound board and have a new XPIN power supply and the buzz is still there, and possibly worse. It was the same with the new caps and the old supply, with the new supply it might be a bit worse.

I've tested the grounds and they show continuity from the head to the body etc.

Could it be the display? There is an issue with the display, I'm just curious if that could be inducing the noise in the audio.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Go to your breaker box and start shutting off power to various appliances in your home. I betcha the source of your hum goes away.
Transformers act as low pass filters, but they aren't complete line filters. Especially considering the primary and secondary grounds are tied together physically, so high freq hum will come through the ground.

If that were the case, wouldn't my williams machine buzz too?

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Do you think this noise is coming in at the amp or is it mixed in with the line-level signal before it's amplified?

Personally, I think it's noisy power, but trying to track that down.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

I have a solution. I'll be testing it tonite... just scrounging my parts bin for the right items. Maybe RadioShack will have what I need. I've cross referenced it with 3 other schematics (and a VCR), and sure enough, the values on the DE board appear to be wrong. muhaaahahaa.

Please let us know, I'm surprised that a new power supply didn't solve this though...

#62 6 years ago

Would a switching power supply like that introduce ripple as well? I'm no electronics genius certainly, but I seem to remember that is a negative property of that scheme?

#84 6 years ago

I'm just curious why a missing screw could cause a hum, aren't all the grounds connected together on the ground trace on the board?

#85 6 years ago

I replaced all the caps on the soundboard, with the manual suggestions, and a brand new XPIN power supply. I'll try replacing c31 and c52 with 1000uF and see if that helps, but I'm pretty sure it ain't.

Any validity to the post above changing out some resistors to lower the gain, the theory is that the output is just driven too high...

#95 6 years ago

Well Crash, as far as I can tell, no, the XPIN supply isn't providing a clean source either. Which is strange right. No offense to the XPIN developers, but I paid good money...

2 weeks later
#145 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The don't all have hum. I play GNR all the time and it does not have a loud hum.
Some games hum of any brand (especially sys11 Williams), but if it bugs you, you hunt it down and fix it. It's not the same fix on every game, even two different games of the same title.

That's what were trying to do in this thread, hunt it down and fix it.

#149 6 years ago

I'll give it a go this weekend, thanks for the updates!

1 year later
#185 5 years ago

It's like cutting the ground conductor on a 3-prong plug, but if it gets you happy so be it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matt_rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside