IMG_5804 (resized).jpeg
94AE701C-5518-43C4-B52F-8FC03767E098 (resized).jpeg
D56D8EA3-8EBB-449F-BA0A-BC3FD0272195 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230115_032422706 (resized).jpg
60E92D30-2687-480A-8242-068D65E0BECF (resized).jpeg
AC7026D1-8CF7-437D-9EA8-3AF740FF4B35 (resized).jpeg
5FCF262D-EAD5-4053-936A-F209742EF41B (resized).jpeg
AD2D171F-D9C6-4FF5-9B1B-D7974CEECC7A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ive.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

This is the only solution so far that has produced favorable results. Not floating the sound board, not replacing caps, not disconnecting braided grounds on speakers. Running the sound board off a separate supply reduces noise dramatically. I assume this is mostly because of the replacement supply has a much cleaner regulated DC power, as well as eliminating ground loop. I used an open frame Artesyn supply. It's 40W and has no fan, we used it in some of our older pro audio products.
I just have to mount it permanently, I'll try to get pics once it's done.

Very interesting. Thanks !

My Tommy has a pretty loud hum. I might give this a go.

2 months later
#301 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

The wiring will vary according to the diagram print for the power supply. Same thing with your sound board. The soundboard will Have the voltages printed on the board next to the pin layout as posted earlier in this thread. Just match them up. Here's mine it may look different than yours however.

I received this board. Just hooked it up to mains today, and annoyingly getting nothing on any output pin Double checked my connection - def mains entering board, just nothing coming out.

Guess I got a bad one.

#304 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Are you testing to a grounded source?

Yes

#306 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You have to check the aux supply using it's own ground pin on it's output pins. The point of the supply being isolated in the first place. If you are using an Artesyn regulated supply as
I recomended , you can check the +5,. +12, and -12vdc before even plugging in to the games sound board. It's what you should do anyway to make certain your wiring is correct

Ah doh ! Of course

Just checked it and it is outputting ok. Checking it before attaching to sound board.

Thanks for your help

#307 6 years ago

OK - double checked everything, connected up my new power supply .............and makes no difference at all

Oh well , I have lived with it all these years.

The hum/noise on mine is especially noticeable in attract mode, and kind of rises and falls as the lamps do their attract sequence. Seems to mostly come from the cabinet speaker.

#310 6 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Can you post a picture of your installation so we can take a look and maybe help further?

Yep. Thanks. When I get a chance this week

#313 6 years ago

In discussion on the Pinballinfo (UK) forum a fellow pinhead Luke Wells had these thoughts .... of particular interest was the suggestion to replace the BIG capacitor in the backbox to help with lamp matrix noise - which is what my Tommy suffers from. Any thoughts ?

"Can I ask what type of noise you are trying to solve? Do you mean actual hum (like 50hz mains hum) as that is cured by fixing the sound board ground and replacing / upgrading the filter capacitors on the sound board (c30, c31,c52, c59) assuming you are talking about a 520-5050-00 sound board.

c52 and c59 benefit from being high-end caps as these are for the internally generated analog dac rails on the sound board.

Now on a Data East, it is also common to get attract more noise from the DMD

Even more likely, you could be taking about the famous lamp matrix noise on a Data East machine that you will hear during attract mode, that will vary as the lamp patterns change. If your game has the large capacitor mounted in the backbox next to the bridge rectifiers, then replacing that will help with the lamp matrix noise.

Finally, make sure your volume control cable is shielded, and the shield conductor is grounded at both ends"

#318 6 years ago

Yep. That's what I'm gonna use. Here's hoping it helps the hum.

2 weeks later
#330 6 years ago

Just an update

Installed this board hoping that replacing big blue might make a difference to the lamp noise. It didn't

11 months later
#429 5 years ago

Does installing a Pinsound board help with any hum issues?

10 months later
#477 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball419:

Game: The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard

Back to my initial question is it the isolation, grounding loops? or is it cleaner voltage? From all(nearly)500 posts, no one seems to have a consistent solution(other than power supply).

The power supply is by no means a guaranteed cure.

I have a Tommy with both the attrach mode/ lights noise and a persistent hum.

I tried everything suggested and then wired in a new power supply. No change I have given up on it now - spent waaaaaay too long on what ultimately is a minor issue, I crank up the volume and don't notice in game

11 months later
#531 4 years ago
Quoted from wpmcnamara:

I
My machine has an XPin wms8345 power board in place of the original Data East power board. This will actually exacerbate the hum (makes it louder), though I would fully expect it to be there at a lower level with the original Data East power board.

I recently tried an XPin power supply board in 2 different Data East DMD machines, in both cases the hum was made more noticeable

#536 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

There seem to be at least 3 sources of noise on the Data East machines. Noise with DMD activity, noise from the controlled lamps, and general noise some from the power. Some games are worse then others. In attract mode when the machine is supposed to be quiet you can often hear when the controlled lights are moving.
I need to do some testing to see how much is generated on the MPU board. I have one MPU when in a game things are relatively quiet. Have another MPU when installed there is excess noise.
If any caps are bad then for sure re capping will help and in some cases may fix it. I just think there are other factors involved that hasn’t been isolated yet.

I think the one that annoys most is the loud constant hum , which often seems louder from the right speaker.

1 month later
#540 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Not to sound like a broken record because this was said before (but lost in the abyss of 500+ previous posts) but the easiest solution seems to be a standalone power supply for the soundboard. Inexpensive and pretty easy to install and cuts out the hum entirely. It did for me anyways.

Tried that and made no difference on mine.
Dang this is such an annoying issue

#549 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

This is probably unrelated but I had horrible hum on a Space Shuttle I picked up last year. Everything worked for the most part except for a faulty wire harness to the display logic. I attributed the hum to worn out caps. I had to remove the MPU/Driver board to replace a bad header pin connector. This required removing every wire harness from the MPU/Driver board. I cleaned all the male header pins with electronics cleaner before plugging the wire harnesses back in. After this the speaker hum vanished. So whatever was causing the hum was apparently from poor wire connectivity, probably from the PF lamps, since the humming would strobe and oscillate in lockstep with the playfield lighting sequence. Lesson here is you may want to check quality of the header pins and wire harnesses elsewhere on the MPU board, displays, etc, in places that would be seemingly unrelated to sound/speakers.

Oddly enough I had a Space Shuttle last year with horrendous hum/speaker noises. *Really* tightening down the boards in the backbox removed 95% of the noise !

1 week later
#551 3 years ago

Quoted from freddy:

Ok found this data sheet
[quoted image]

Success !!!! I fitted one of these bad boys to a Tommy and the loud constant hum from the right speaker has gone ! Thanks NYP for posting about it

I still get the lights buzz noise , rising and falling with the controlled lamps that is noticeable in attract mode. But I can live with that.

A couple of years ago I tried an aux supply, different make, and it didn't make a difference. Strange. Maybe the spec wasn't quite right or something.

#553 3 years ago
Quoted from crassmage:

Have and wiring pics? Is any current wiring used or is it all new? Where does the power source tap into? Thanks, I ordered the one from previous link(thanks for that)

I tapped into the mains power in the switch box. Added connectors to the black and white after the switch. Run this to the the aux power unit. Then make up a new length of cable with molex connector to run to the sound board. If I get a chance later I'll take couple pics.

At the moment I have the aux power supply in the backbox. Now thinking I'd prefer to have it down in the main cab and run a longer length of cable up to the board.

The only thing I don't like about the Mean Well unit is that the terminals are uncovered - meaning you have a bare touch point with live mains power when the machine is switched on - 230v here in the UK . I will make up a cover for safety and peace of mind.

#555 3 years ago
Quoted from crassmage:

Pics would be great? So is it just the 2 wires?

Someone uploaded this - its on a DE Robocop but its exactly the same principle.

#556 3 years ago

OK - I got rid of the loud speaker hum by installing an aux power supply.

I still though have a constant static hiss / 'shhhhhhhh' through the speakers - not noticeable in gameplay of course but I can hear it with the game sat in attract mode.

Any thoughts on that ?? before I wade through this entire thread again

#559 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Dumb question - how did you wire up the Meanwell? I have a LAH that's getting unbearable. I'll clean up and reflow connectors/header pins, but am really interested in a fix especially if it's cheap.

See the video link I posted above (not my video)....its on a Robocop and different power supply unit but exactly the same principle. post #555

3 months later
#567 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballGiant:

Just wanted to add my two cents on fixing the speaker hum. My strategy was based off of wpmcnamara's previous posts. Got rid of the majority of the hum for about $30. Here is a video explaining what I did and the before and after. In short, I just added a 12V buck boost converter on the +12V to the sound board and had great results. Cleaner and cheaper than an entirely separate power supply and plug and play after you build it. Here are some pics too.

[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting that !

I have used a seperate power supply with success but will certainly give this a go - a much cleaner solution.

1 month later
#588 3 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Has any one tried replacing the whole sound board with a pinsound? Was going to try it to see if it worked!

I believe it does sort it out. I have a friend with Pinsounds in his Star Wars, Guns and Tommy

1 year later
#766 2 years ago
Quoted from ChanceKJ:

Yep, in fact we’ve been using my R&B to test them all.
I’ll be posting a link here soon for you to buy them. Keep an eye here.

Great stuff. Hoping you will have a UK or EU distributor

3 months later
#859 2 years ago
Quoted from ChanceKJ:

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-east-noisehum-filter.html
However the link is down as PL seems to have deactivated it after selling out their stock last time. So I can’t guarantee it will be the same one.
Production of them starts this weekend, plus time to ship, plus however long it will take PL to list them to the site.
Here’s the video as a refresher.

Apologies if I missed it …..will there be a UK or EU vendor for these ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ive.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure?tu=ive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.