IMG_5804 (resized).jpeg
94AE701C-5518-43C4-B52F-8FC03767E098 (resized).jpeg
D56D8EA3-8EBB-449F-BA0A-BC3FD0272195 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230115_032422706 (resized).jpg
60E92D30-2687-480A-8242-068D65E0BECF (resized).jpeg
AC7026D1-8CF7-437D-9EA8-3AF740FF4B35 (resized).jpeg
5FCF262D-EAD5-4053-936A-F209742EF41B (resized).jpeg
AD2D171F-D9C6-4FF5-9B1B-D7974CEECC7A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#592 3 years ago

Just ordered a pair of buck boosters this morning for experimenting. I have one or two DE pins that have speaker hum but in all honesty not enough to bother me but worth trying this out for the cost.

3 weeks later
#594 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballGiant:

Just wanted to add my two cents on fixing the speaker hum. My strategy was based off of wpmcnamara's previous posts. Got rid of the majority of the hum for about $30. Here is a video explaining what I did and the before and after. In short, I just added a 12V buck boost converter on the +12V to the sound board and had great results. Cleaner and cheaper than an entirely separate power supply and plug and play after you build it. Here are some pics too.

Just did mine on a Playboy that was LOUD. You knew the machine was on when you were in the room loud, the loudest DE I have ever owned.

Now? The thing is so quiet is flipping eerie! Unless you have an ear within a foot or two of the speaker you can't tell its running.

Best. D.E. Mod. Ever.

I'll post a video shortly.

20201221_175541 (resized).jpg20201221_175541 (resized).jpg
#595 3 years ago

Video up!

4 weeks later
#600 3 years ago

If your interested in one drop me a note.

I have enough parts for 8 more, doubtful if I'm going to make more after that as this was just a little side project and I'm told by a vendor z-connectors are not being restocked as the manufacturer has gone out of business.

These are plug and play: Molex connectors with key pin in place, z-connector, Trifurcon heavy duty contacts (because overkill) set for 12 volts on the dot and tested in my noisiest pin Playboy for an hour.

This should work in just about every Data East except the first two pins (Laser War and Torpedo Alley) with very early sound boards. The voltages look a little different and I need to double check first.

Gary

20210120_190025 (resized).jpg20210120_190025 (resized).jpg

20210120_182132 (resized).jpg20210120_182132 (resized).jpg
#602 3 years ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

I also set up the mod, but it didn't work. If you look at the publications I put pictures and everything. Yesterday I rewired it and it didn't work.

If you have other issues like questionable caps on the sound board, this may not be a fix for you. All the Data East pins here I have tried it on have had reduction in speaker noise. Some have been slight as they were pretty quiet to begin with and some have been dramatic like Playboy which was loud enough to be irritating while on in a workshop. Now you cant hear it at all.

#604 3 years ago

Listed a few pages back.

#606 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

This should work in just about every Data East except the first two pins (Laser War and Torpedo Alley) with very early sound boards.

Yes this works with the first revision boards with the addition of an extra wire. The reduction in hum on my Lazer War is notable, it's almost as bad as Playboy but still second place.

20210121_185904 (resized).jpg20210121_185904 (resized).jpg
#608 3 years ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

I think I have the typical DMD attraction mode noise and above this noise I have a coupling sound, a lot of interference.
At times I only hear the noise of the speakers and at times interference. Loud noises. I don't know what to play anymore.
How can it be that one can't solve this....

Have you recapped the sound board? They are all far past their rated lifespan.

#613 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Holy crap that's loud. I think something else may be wrong with the sound board.

Yup, that is EXTREMELY abnormal. Is it just the cabinet speaker or all three? If its just the cabinet should be fairly easy to isolate that amp on the sound board.

Most of this discussion is in regards to the humm or buzzing noise you hear in this video. What your machine is doing is NOT normal or common.

#616 3 years ago

I decided to check temps with Laser War running for an hour with a game running the temps were only 2 degrees over ambient.

20210122_185748 (resized).jpg20210122_185748 (resized).jpg

#619 3 years ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

There I show the file and I see that this way is with problems .. is this? My problem? -12V?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dont see anything that would impact all three channels. Down by the amp should only impact the speaker that amp feeds. Look upstream of the amps.

You may wish to start a repair thread since the problem you are having is different than what is being discussed here.

#620 3 years ago

I like simple but robust solutions to potential problems.

Someone suggested wrapping tape around the board to prevent a short in case of contact with a metal object.
I dont care for that myself as it traps in heat around the components and if routed proper should be a negligible risk.

This seems to work well on my Playboy and still allows airflow around the board and everyone has one about sooner or later

20210124_090613 (resized).jpg20210124_090613 (resized).jpg
#624 3 years ago

Last Action Hero gets one as well.

Some slight hum left but cut by a notable amount, same for my Star Trek.

I'm thinking of ordering some more and doing another run, only one left at the moment. I'll have to get some more connectors too.

Whoever came up with this idea was just a genius.

So far tested in Laser War, Playboy, Star Wars (2), Star Trek, Last Action Hero. Improvements in all cases, some rather dramatic.

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Last Action Hero gets one as well.
Some slight hum left but cut by a notable amount, same for my Star Trek.
I'm thinking of ordering some more and doing another run, only one left at the moment. I'll have to get some more connectors too.
Whoever came up with this idea was just a genius.
So far tested in Laser War, Playboy, Star Wars (2), Star Trek, Last Action Hero. Improvements in all cases, some rather dramatic.

All are sold, I should be able to do a second batch in 2 weeks (parts are already on order) and they will be a little less each than the first batch as I have some z-connectors left over.

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Id like to get on your 2nd batch list if possible.

Starting on second batch.

While waiting for connectors to arrive, setting voltages on the bench to speed things up.

20210130_202323 (resized).jpg20210130_202323 (resized).jpg
#631 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

Im sorry, what does this do?

Reduces or eliminates hum noise in speakers, common issue on DE pins and subject of this forum posting.

20210120_190025 (resized).jpg20210120_190025 (resized).jpg
#634 3 years ago
Quoted from jimgravina:

How can I get one?

I'll put up a post when the next batch has been run off, drop me a PM then. Hopefully the package from Great Plains Electronics is in this week and I'll start assembling next weekend. I'm going to start this week so next weekend I'll just be slapping connectors into housings and doing final checks in pins.

Edit: just a quick note. People have been picking at this for a long time now, this thread is 8 years old!

I'm just a guy who tried one of the solutions presented and thought "I can run off a bunch plug and play for people who dont have the time nor tools" and subsidize the same fix for my own Data East pins.

#636 3 years ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

I have tried the buck booster arrangement on 2 Data East's both running X-Pin power supplies. Great result on the one that had a medium hum before and an ok result on the one that had a large hum. This simple mod works.
Few questions to any electrically savvy member;
Should the +12v buck adjustment be done done specific to each machine as there may be a +12v supply variance between units?

It should not matter as it is a voltage regular. Once you set the voltage it should maintain the output voltage setting regardless of the input voltage as long as the input is in the acceptable input range. The ones I use list 5V to 32V as acceptable input.

I'm just taking the existing 12v+ input and running it through the booster for 12v+ out to filter the output. Of note, on the machines I have been checking inputs on they are rarely at 12 volts and often down around 11.9 volts. I'm setting the boosters to 12.05 with a Fluke class III meter on final setting.

#639 3 years ago
Quoted from miracleman:

Got my 'Buzzkill' from gdonovan today, reduced my TFTC buzz by 95-ish percent, very happy.
Here's before and after vids...

That's awesome.

I have noticed that there is some machine noise hum when the sound card isn't even plugged in! I have not looked close to determine what it is but suspect a combination of transformer and display.

Unplug the sound board power and try it yourself to see. Not enough to get excited about but interesting to me.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#640 3 years ago

Going to try and bust these all out today. My bad luck there is another storm coming this weekend and I'll get nothing done sunday as I'll be onsite directing snow removal all day and keeping staff safe.

20210206_104734 (resized).jpg20210206_104734 (resized).jpgResized_20201217_101145 (resized).jpegResized_20201217_101145 (resized).jpeg
#642 3 years ago

Time to head out to shop for final voltage check and one hour run test.

20210206_150506 (resized).jpg20210206_150506 (resized).jpg
#645 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What does it run for one already to go?

$48 each shipped with US Priority shipping. For each additional unit deduct an $8.
Two is $88
Three is $128

I have a single unit setup for Laser War with the extra wire required, if ordering for that application let me know.

5 already spoken for, 11 left.

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

$48 each shipped with US Priority shipping. For each additional unit deduct an $8.
Two is $88
Three is $128
I have a single unit setup for Laser War with the extra wire required, if ordering for that application let me know.
5 already spoken for, 11 left.

Orders going out Wednesday, if you want to get in on this shipment drop me a PM before 9AM tomorrow morning.

Gary

1 week later
#650 3 years ago
Quoted from Liftserv:

I contacted gdonovan Wednesday and bought his board, received it today and installed it tonight. It reduced the noise like miracleman stated above by at least 95%. It takes more time to open up the back box then it takes to install it. Top notch plug and play board!
Forgot to mention, I installed it in my Maverick.

Outstanding! Amazing how much a difference they can make on some titles.

1 week later
#653 3 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Installed gdonovans buck booster last night and...wow! Cleaned up a fiercely loud hum on my star trek 25th. Thanks for a great, easily installable fix.

Thank you for the kind words, I'm already noodling the next version.

Need to get some work done on a few projects first though.

#655 3 years ago
Quoted from ChanceKJ:

Other then Laser War, what other games used the extra wire?

Maybe Secret Service and Torpedo alley. Anyone who has ordered one from me with those games I have included the extra wire.

1 week later
#661 3 years ago
Quoted from Santis:

gdonovan hi. How much cost that piece per pin ( the humming eliminator). I have some data east pins. Ps. You have a nice collection of data east games.

Two is $88
Three is $128

Thank you, hoping to add Batman next month. I'm fixing to do another batch at that time so send me a pm if interested. Overseas shipping is more.

#665 3 years ago
Quoted from Santis:

gdonovan is 1 per game? Thank you.

Yes.

#667 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

These converters also run a bit too hot even with heat sinks.

I don't agree with that, 2 degrees over ambient is nothing.

20210122_185748 (resized).jpg20210122_185748 (resized).jpg
#669 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The ones I have run really hot. I think I got some bad boards.

Possible. I had one go bad after an hour of play on my own machine. China quality tends to be uneven at times which is beyond our control.

Temp wise did not note anything unusual and was checking them after they had been in a machine for an hour under load.

2 weeks later
#671 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Two is $88
Three is $128
Thank you, hoping to add Batman next month. I'm fixing to do another batch at that time so send me a pm if interested. Overseas shipping is more.

Half the parts just arrived from Great Plains Electronics, rest should be here shortly.

Gary

2 weeks later
#672 3 years ago

Parts are in guys! When I start assembling I'll return your PM's

Gary

#674 3 years ago
Quoted from ChanceKJ:

First prototypes are assembled and working on local machines. But I think we can make it better.
More to come....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Good looking piece, I like it! A more elegant solution.

Heads up to everyone waiting on me to do another batch, I'm doubtful about doing this next batch even though I have the parts. The quality of the available boosters seem uneven with two failures in the past 48 hours and the vendor seems fairly disinterested in making this right.

Since I'm making only a nominal amount of money on this I'm actually losing money at this point with the 2 failures.

For the current batch of boosters I have on hand I'm going to return them to Amazon and just eat the cost of the other components. For the two people with dead units I'll just give them the ones from my machines.

Gary

#676 3 years ago

I had to make a few of these for a friend who is local. Found that one of the power modules was a bit flaky. Ended up being a poor quality 10K adjustment pot. Replaced that with another that I had here and fixed it. Would be interesting to see if that is all that is wrong with the ones you have or if something else happened.

I was toying with a new design and still might proto it out but ChanceKJ board looks pretty well thought out.

7 months later
#775 2 years ago
Quoted from ChanceKJ:

No sorry. Haha. They haven’t even arrived at the vendor yet.
…plus, I’m Canadian, We have Boxing Day.

I'm not picky, I can work with a Boxing day discount!

2 months later
#836 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCollector:

Try recapping your power supply board or replacing it with a more modern board.

Bad advice; some new boards generate even more noise than the originals.

#842 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCollector:

Bad advice, lol
If you don’t check the specs of distortion on a power supply board before installing it then you have no business doing so.
Again I would recommend recapping it.
My opinion, didn’t mean to upset you. I use quality boards that surpass the originals.

X-Pin is notorious for making noise, I know I purchased one "as the best" for an LW3

I'm not upset at all, I'm just pointing out what people and myself have experienced.

#844 2 years ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

Man, I am such a noob when it comes to voltage and stuff. I have a TFTC with speaker hum and am so desperate to try something to get rid of it, but am trying to find the best approach to resolve it. This is my one and only DE pin.

I had superb results with buckboosters but they were so hit or miss on reliability I stopped making them. The filter board sold by the Canadian guys is a good place to start if all your connections are good and you have no obvious cap issues.

8 months later
#907 1 year ago

If you look further back to around post 520 both boards get their roots from that inline power adapter. They just have different implementations of it.

Yup, I stopped making them as the buck boosters that were available had dubious reliability. When they worked, they were great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.