New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 24704)

Data East speaker noise - ideas for a cure

By roc-noc

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 576 posts
  • 151 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Asanteiro
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 61 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A385893E-7497-4FC2-BE4F-C4B56A06E9B8 (resized).jpeg
22 (resized).jpg
11 (resized).jpg
C6CF0614-EB50-4AA1-B175-C86AF62B9C0C (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 3.46.42 PM (resized).png
20130806_312509 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200215_213616573 (resized).jpg
14BEA662-93E0-4F27-A196-FFC501344C0D (resized).jpeg
72830EAE-6AC1-4C18-9233-E105D0DB486A (resized).jpeg
014337EE-420C-4448-8B33-959749FB3C80 (resized).jpeg
20190921_110322 (resized).jpg
20190921_110226 (resized).jpg
20190921_110738 (resized).jpg
20DF2860-BF50-4FB9-968E-6EC7C6CA306F (resized).jpeg
IMG_6984 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg

There are 576 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
#551 4 months ago

Quoted from freddy:

Ok found this data sheet
[quoted image]

Success !!!! I fitted one of these bad boys to a Tommy and the loud constant hum from the right speaker has gone ! Thanks nyp for posting about it

I still get the lights buzz noise , rising and falling with the controlled lamps that is noticeable in attract mode. But I can live with that.

A couple of years ago I tried an aux supply, different make, and it didn't make a difference. Strange. Maybe the spec wasn't quite right or something.

#552 4 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Success !!!! I fitted one of these bad boys and the loud constant hum from the right speaker has gone ! Thanks nyp for posting about it
I still get the lights buzz noise , rising and falling with the controlled lamps that is noticeable in attract mode. But I can live with that.
A couple of years ago I tried an aux supply, different make, and it didn't make a difference. Strange. Maybe the spec wasn't quite right or something.

Have and wiring pics? Is any current wiring used or is it all new? Where does the power source tap into? Thanks, I ordered the one from previous link(thanks for that)

#553 4 months ago
Quoted from crassmage:

Have and wiring pics? Is any current wiring used or is it all new? Where does the power source tap into? Thanks, I ordered the one from previous link(thanks for that)

I tapped into the mains power in the switch box. Added connectors to the black and white after the switch. Run this to the the aux power unit. Then make up a new length of cable with molex connector to run to the sound board. If I get a chance later I'll take couple pics.

At the moment I have the aux power supply in the backbox. Now thinking I'd prefer to have it down in the main cab and run a longer length of cable up to the board.

The only thing I don't like about the Mean Well unit is that the terminals are uncovered - meaning you have a bare touch point with live mains power when the machine is switched on - 230v here in the UK . I will make up a cover for safety and peace of mind.

#554 4 months ago

Pics would be great? So is it just the 2 wires?

#555 4 months ago
Quoted from crassmage:

Pics would be great? So is it just the 2 wires?

Someone uploaded this - its on a DE Robocop but its exactly the same principle.

#556 4 months ago

OK - I got rid of the loud speaker hum by installing an aux power supply.

I still though have a constant static hiss / 'shhhhhhhh' through the speakers - not noticeable in gameplay of course but I can hear it with the game sat in attract mode.

Any thoughts on that ?? before I wade through this entire thread again

#557 4 months ago

Thank you kind sir..

#558 4 months ago
Quoted from NYP:

Been about a year, got rid of the hum, holding up fine. Small enough to hide in the backbox, no complaints.

Dumb question - how did you wire up the Meanwell? I have a LAH that's getting unbearable. I'll clean up and reflow connectors/header pins, but am really interested in a fix especially if it's cheap.

#559 4 months ago
Quoted from pb456:

Dumb question - how did you wire up the Meanwell? I have a LAH that's getting unbearable. I'll clean up and reflow connectors/header pins, but am really interested in a fix especially if it's cheap.

See the video link I posted above (not my video)....its on a Robocop and different power supply unit but exactly the same principle. post #555

#560 4 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

I still though have a constant static hiss / 'shhhhhhhh' through the speakers - not noticeable in gameplay of course but I can hear it with the game sat in attract mode.
Any thoughts on that ??

I'm pretty sure that is just the general quality of the amplifiers on the sound board. I'm guessing that would be nearly impossible to get rid of. It's the same thing on my TFTC.

#561 4 months ago
Quoted from pb456:

I found a place in the backbox to mount the power supply. I disconnected the power plug to the sound board and tucked it away and made up a new harness with connectors to go from the power supply to the power in to the sound board. I like to do things like this reversible so things can be put back the way they were and not permanently cut alter or hack the existing wiring harness. It's best if you try to use color correct wires when making up the harness, black for ground, red for +5 etc. Then I took 2 longer wires for the 110 ( black & white ) and ran them down through into the bottom cabinet and tapped off the 110 from the transformer. I checked to make sure it was switched so it goes on and off with the power switch. All wires neatly zip tied or tucked into the cable clamps so it looks factory.

3 months later
#562 40 days ago

I used this thread a lot to trouble shoot all the noise my Data East Jurassic Park was making, so I figured I would let everyone know what worked. When I brought it home several months ago, the humming noise was loud. I tracked it down to the DMD (by unplugging the DMD, the noise would drop) and to the light show in attract mode. I got rid of the noise by buying a new DMD and by isolating the sound board from ground (used electrical tape around the screw holes). This got everything quiet.

However, months later I started to have some flaky power supply things happening so I bought a new Rotten Dog power supply board. When I installed it the humming and buzzing was horrible. You could hear it all over the house. All of it was coming out of the speakers all of the time. I recapped the sound board and that knocked it down to a more tolerable level, but it was still louder than I wanted.

So I bought the power supply mentioned in post 442 (Mean Well RT-50B) and a connector. Once installed this dropped the noise down to zero. It is now perfectly quiet. The power supply was easy to install as I just mounted it in the cabinet near the speaker and spliced into the 120V going to the coin door (which isn't even used unless you have a bill changer). I ran 4 wires up the the sound board, hooked the wires to the new connector (you need a special tool for this), and plugged it in. If someone wanted to remove it (although I have no idea why you would), you could plug the old connector back into the sound board and splice the 120V cable back together.

#563 37 days ago

Just wanted to add my two cents on fixing the speaker hum. My strategy was based off of wpmcnamara's previous posts. Got rid of the majority of the hum for about $30. Here is a video explaining what I did and the before and after. In short, I just added a 12V buck boost converter on the +12V to the sound board and had great results. Cleaner and cheaper than an entirely separate power supply and plug and play after you build it. Here are some pics too.

11 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg
#564 36 days ago
Quoted from PinballGiant:

12V buck boost converter

Nice. That's the scale of mod with which I'd be happy on my rarely played JP (vs separate pwr supply). Where'd you buy that?

#565 36 days ago
Quoted from markp99:

Nice. That's the scale of mod with which I'd be happy on my rarely played JP (vs separate pwr supply). Where'd you buy that?

Made it myself:
6-pin z connector
2 female 6-pin 0.156 molex connectors with trifurcon pins from pinball life
Buck/boost converter from amazon (amazon.com link »)
ABS plastic project box off amazon
18 or 20 gauge wire

#566 36 days ago

If you make another, I'd buy one from you for sure.

#567 35 days ago

Just wanted to add my two cents on fixing the speaker hum. My strategy was based off of wpmcnamara's previous posts. Got rid of the majority of the hum for about $30. Here is a video explaining what I did and the before and after. In short, I just added a 12V buck boost converter on the +12V to the sound board and had great results. Cleaner and cheaper than an entirely separate power supply and plug and play after you build it. Here are some pics too.

[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting that !

I have used a seperate power supply with success but will certainly give this a go - a much cleaner solution.

#568 29 days ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

gave this a go on my LW3 but only lowered the hum by about 20% I did notice my machine appears to have the rottendog board which people says this hum far worse so might be why I did not have much luck. Also tried the floating audio board which did nothing as well.

I have ordered parts for the psu fix now as this will give the audio board 100% clean voltage not just the +12v line so hopefully have better results

#569 28 days ago

If any one wants this give me a shout will post out if you can cover the £5 shipping

It does work just not very well in my situation (due to new power board I suspect)

A385893E-7497-4FC2-BE4F-C4B56A06E9B8 (resized).jpeg
#570 28 days ago
Quoted from russdx:

If any one wants this give me a shout will post out if you can cover the £5 shipping

Which country are you from? I could be interested. I am from Denmark myself.

#571 28 days ago
Quoted from russdx:

gave this a go on my LW3 but only lowered the hum by about 20% I did notice my machine appears to have the rottendog board which people says this hum far worse so might be why I did not have much luck. Also tried the floating audio board which did nothing as well.
I have ordered parts for the psu fix now as this will give the audio board 100% clean voltage not just the +12v line so hopefully have better results

I’m sorry it didn’t work for you. Definitely not my intention to share something that doesn’t work. It’s weird because I have a rottendog board too. I still have some hum but this got it down to a very tolerable level. Will be interested to see if the separate power supply totally fixes it or if there’s something on the sound board contributing too.

#572 27 days ago

I’m sorry it didn’t work for you. Definitely not my intention to share something that doesn’t work. It’s weird because I have a rottendog board too. I still have some hum but this got it down to a very tolerable level. Will be interested to see if the separate power supply totally fixes it or if there’s something on the sound board contributing too.

No worries at all buddy every machine is different the floating did absolutely nothing for me either (and did fix others) I must just have a very fussy machine

I will report back with results of the PSU fix

#573 27 days ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Which country are you from? I could be interested. I am from Denmark myself.

UK, pm me your address and I’ll pop it in the post

#574 25 days ago

Stuck one of these in https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/RPT-60B?qs=V9a8iPeg90y32GHaWpmkvA%3D%3D and the hum has dropped about 90% far far better I think in my situation I just needed total isolation of the power supply to get rid of all the Nasty interference.

#575 19 days ago

My Last Action Hero has some serious speaker hum, so going to attempt this same fix of installing a dedicated PSU. Just ordered a Mean Well RT-50B (from Mouser), and the 6 pin molex connector below. Hoping it's a workable shortcut to creating my own connector.

ebay.com link » 6 Pin Rgb Monitor Video Cable Only Arcade Game Part B62

About $40 total in parts (already having cable to run power to the PSU). Will report back with results in after it's been installed.

1 week later
#576 6 days ago

boys as they are.
I tell them that I HOOK makes a disgusting noise ...
now if I disconnect the 3 speakers the noise goes away automatically.
I tried to put plastic washers on the sound board and it didn't work.
I just put them inside.
I do not change anything ...
I am sure it is a mass problem.
But I don't know what to touch anymore.

HELP.
GREETINGS FROM ARGENTINA.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 576 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside