Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinballManiac40
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Simpsons_wire_gate_in_apron.png

#1 5 years ago

working on a Simpsons... Game has new MPU from rottendog. Game plays "The Simpsons" intro chime when powered on. No other sounds or music play at all. Game settings have sounds on.

Voltages check ok to the sound board per the repair guide, I've re-seated the eproms.

What should I check next? What would allow the theme to play but prevent all other sounds from playing? Do I understand correctly that the theme is on one EPROM and the other sounds on the other two? Could those sockets have randomly gone bad from my MPU replacement? Seems unlikely to me but obviously something happened...

Looking for any suggestions on what to do next... I've tried 2 sets of eproms so I can say the data on the eprom should be good...

#2 5 years ago

Cables. Specifically the data cable from MPU to sound card. Did you try replacing that? make certain it is installed correctly (not off a pin, backwards)

The only question I would like to throw out: Did all the sounds work before replacing the MPU?

#3 5 years ago

Good questions, wayout440.

Also brainmegaphone, why did you replace the MPU?

#4 5 years ago

I triple checked the cable but I can replace and try.

All sounds worked before replacing MPU.

There was a severe amount of battery corrosion. Person didn't know batteries were there and game operated for years until many features stopped working... Before I did anything the Sounds ALL worked. In the end the person I'm helping didn't want to deal with repairing the old board and it was out of my skill level anyway so we got a new MPU.

After seeing the sounds were not working (except opening theme) I removed sound board and checked it. Not one drop of acid or corrosion. Also tried other things in my original post.

#5 5 years ago

When you look at the sound board ribbon cable, pin 1 is on the right. So both side of the ribbon cable should have the red wire (indicating pin 1) facing to the right at the sound board and at the MPU board.

Is it in correctly?

#6 5 years ago

Game is at friends house... I'll have him check and I'll let you know.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate everyone's time.

#7 5 years ago

Good Morning,

This was it! Wow - I feel pretty dumb but I'm happy it's fixed! You always look at the more complicated things first!

Thanks so much for your time and help. Now the only remaining issue is that the kicker in the ball trough sometimes has to fire multiple times to line the balls up into position...

#8 5 years ago

Ribbon cable oriented wrong?

Glad to hear the sounds are back.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Now the only remaining issue is that the kicker in the ball trough sometimes has to fire multiple times to line the balls up into position...

This sounds like the balls are being rejected back to the outhole.
if so, remove your apron and see if there a wire gate is there.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5307-02 (I think this is the right one for the trough, but check the manual anyway)
If it is there, make sure it is flipped over to the right. It acts like a one way valve and keeps the balls from bouncing back to the outhole. The apron keeps the wire gate from going 340 degrees.

#10 5 years ago

Yes it was the ribbon cable being backwards.

I'll have to remove the apron and check what you refer to. Thanks for my next starting point!

#11 5 years ago

Ok. Since I am starting to shop out my game, I took a picture of the wire gate. If you flip the apron upside down, and push the gate to the far right, it should pretty much be standing up. That is far as it should go if it is the correct one. It should be able to go to left, which in the game will allow the balls to load into the trough. Hopefully, yours is installed backwards or is missing.Simpsons wire gate in apron.png

1 week later
#12 5 years ago

Any luck checking the trough for this gate?

#13 5 years ago

Thank you so much for that information. I'll be working on it this weekend and will follow up!

#14 5 years ago

The part was bent - but I was able to bend it back. It appears it isn't available from Steve or Marco so I'm glad I could make the existing one work! Thanks so much for the help!

#15 5 years ago

No problem. Enjoy your game!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 50.00
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside