Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by pinballplusMN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MPU (resized).JPG

#1 7 months ago

I have a single lamp out on the LAH. It is the E in CRANE. I replaced the bulb, reflowed the solder on the lamp pad and pins on the lamp board. I switched the lamp socket around to other positions. No change.

The Row and Column Transistors test good. But if one of those was out, I assume an entire row or column wouldn't work.

I checked the pins on the MPU board and they all look good. Wiggling the connectors doesn't do anything.

There are two ICs and a Zener just above the big white resistors which is browned. Could a bad IC cause one lamp to be out? Are there good substitutes for 7406s and LS08s as I don't have any of those but I do have some others which are close?

#2 7 months ago

I would check diode near bulb. If its a board issue you would have 8 lights acting up

#3 7 months ago

I forgot to add that diode tests good. But I will replace it anyway.

#4 7 months ago

Socket, lamp, diode, or wire connection issue.
Can't be a board issue.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 7 months ago

Here is a pic of the IC after I cleaned it.

MPU (resized).JPG
#6 7 months ago

OK. Good to know I don't need to mess with the board.
Thank you both.

#7 7 months ago

Look for a broken wire in the same row and column. Make sure you lightly tug on the wires to be sure they are connected as at times they break right at the solder lug looking like it is still connected.

#8 7 months ago

Get an ohmmeter out, and check that the row wire and column wire are both connected to other working switches in the same row and column as the problem switch. Should be an easy fix. Could be a broken wire at any switch in the same column or row.

#9 7 months ago

It was the diode. Weird. It tests fine even after I removed it. Thank you.

#10 7 months ago

Rare, but a good find. Enjoy.

#11 7 months ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It was the diode. Weird. It tests fine even after I removed it. Thank you.

Was going to say you can’t test a diode while still connected but strange it tested fine pulled out.

#12 7 months ago

Ive seen diodes and bridges test good with meter but when under load fail and go open.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Trade
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball
Machine - For Sale
La Verne, CA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside