8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Hawk007
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I've got a Data East Simpsons where the 5v recently quit working. Awhile back I replaced the caps at C2 (it was tested bad) and C3 and the power supply has been working fine for quite some time after alot of hours on it (it's a location machine). The traces for C2 are good and have continuity.

I tested those two caps again with my ESR meter and they look good. I checked diodes D2 and D3 and they are good as well. I thought the LM723 was bad so I replaced that and still no 5v.

What else should I be looking at?

#2 8 years ago

I forgot to add that I tested the 2N6057 with my DMM and it looks good. I guess it's possible it's failing under load but I don't have another one readily available to swap out.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

check your molex connectors as they are prone to failure and fuses[fuse clips] they are known bad points. Also the 5 volts originates from one of the backbox bridge rectifiers that generates 12 volts and if its bad low or no 5 volts will be seen. Good call on the c2 and c3. Every data east power supply I have ever seen needs these replaced along with all connector headers and fuse clips reflowed at the very minimum.
As mentioned before doing anything check fuses and try to press the fuse in extra hard and if the holder splits it needs replacing.

Yeah I've already looked at all that. The molex connectors are good. 12v and -12v are good as tested at the power supply. I'm thinking perhaps the 2N6057 might be failing under load as I'm not really sure what else it could be.

#6 8 years ago

I got it working. One of the fuse clips coming off the BR was corroded a bit causing the fuse to not make a good connection. Thanks for the info!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-simpsons-no-5v?tu=debaser and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.