Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hawk007
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I've got a Data East Simpsons where the 5v recently quit working. Awhile back I replaced the caps at C2 (it was tested bad) and C3 and the power supply has been working fine for quite some time after alot of hours on it (it's a location machine). The traces for C2 are good and have continuity.

I tested those two caps again with my ESR meter and they look good. I checked diodes D2 and D3 and they are good as well. I thought the LM723 was bad so I replaced that and still no 5v.

What else should I be looking at?

#2 5 years ago

I forgot to add that I tested the 2N6057 with my DMM and it looks good. I guess it's possible it's failing under load but I don't have another one readily available to swap out.

#3 5 years ago

check your molex connectors as they are prone to failure and fuses[fuse clips] they are known bad points. Also the 5 volts originates from one of the backbox bridge rectifiers that generates 12 volts and if its bad low or no 5 volts will be seen. Good call on the c2 and c3. Every data east power supply I have ever seen needs these replaced along with all connector headers and fuse clips reflowed at the very minimum.
As mentioned before doing anything check fuses and try to press the fuse in extra hard and if the holder splits it needs replacing.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

check your molex connectors as they are prone to failure and fuses[fuse clips] they are known bad points. Also the 5 volts originates from one of the backbox bridge rectifiers that generates 12 volts and if its bad low or no 5 volts will be seen. Good call on the c2 and c3. Every data east power supply I have ever seen needs these replaced along with all connector headers and fuse clips reflowed at the very minimum.
As mentioned before doing anything check fuses and try to press the fuse in extra hard and if the holder splits it needs replacing.

Yeah I've already looked at all that. The molex connectors are good. 12v and -12v are good as tested at the power supply. I'm thinking perhaps the 2N6057 might be failing under load as I'm not really sure what else it could be.

#5 5 years ago

I would check all the rest of the caps and traces. Failure there is very common when caps spill their guts and its easy to miss a bad trace. The 2N6057 transistor (replace with a 2N6059) could be bad and there is another chip [mc1723cp]in that circuit but barely ever goes that could be the problem.
But as mentioned any bad cap will drag the power down , I have had the little tantalum/ceramic ones go bad too and drag components down.. So double check traces and caps and good luck!

#6 5 years ago

I got it working. One of the fuse clips coming off the BR was corroded a bit causing the fuse to not make a good connection. Thanks for the info!

#7 5 years ago

Anytime. Glad you got er fixed up! Always nice when a plan comes together...lol. Have a great week.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maple Street Sign Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside