Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Onebean
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The left flipper on my machine is sticking up, but not all the time, and not for the same amount of time. Sometimes pushing the flipper button a couple times releases it, sometimes it's a waiting game, or till the ball drains. I have ruled out the coil and sleeve (sleeve seems to fit in the coil nicely, and the plunger doesn't drag) I think. Mechanically it moves nice and easy with the power off, and doesn't stick. It doesn't have an end of stroke switch, I think the coil is controlled by a board. It was stuck up yesterday, and I shut off the power to the machine. It instantly snapped down, that leads me to believe it's electrical. Any ideas how to fix this? I assume it's a board problem. Are there new or refurbished boards available? What is my next step to diagnosing / fixing this?

Onebean

#2 6 years ago

Flipper button leaf blade switch have a short ?

Flipper button sticking in ?

LTG : )™

#3 6 years ago

I checked the leaf blade switch with my continuity meter, and it seems to be turning on and off just fine. I had my son push the flipper button about 100 times while I held the meter probes on it, and and no sticking. The flipper button isn't sticky either.

Onebean

#4 6 years ago

Bad diode on coil ? Transistor driving it leaking ?

LTG : )™

#5 6 years ago

I could swap the diode, but i have no idea how to find or check the transistor driving it.

#6 6 years ago

I measured the diodes on both flipper coils, and they measure the same on both flipper sides, so I'm guessing it's good. I can watch the light on the flipper board flash every time I push the flipper button, even when the flipper is stuck up. I've reseated the plugs on the board multiple times. I'm stuck. Is the board bad? watching the light flash on th eboard every time I push the flipper button, leads me to think the circuit is working up to the point it should switch to low power mode, or release.

Onebean

#7 6 years ago

I ordered and installed a new flipper board. The left flipper still sticks up, and now the right flipper is weak. Any ideas what to look at next?

Onebean

#8 6 years ago

I had the same issue with my phantom of the opera... just like yours the flipper look to be mechanically fine so I replaced the diode and that help a little but it still did it. So I end up buying the flipper rebuilt kit and now it's not sticking. I don't know if yours need to be rebuilt or if it just needs the connections on the coil resolder but after taking it apart and putting the new kit the issue was gone.

#9 6 years ago

I'll replace the coil and see if it helps. It ohms out the same as the working coil, but it's worth a try (way cheaper than the board I bought). I'm sure it's electrical, because when it's stuck up, and I kill the power, it snaps down.

Onebean

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Onebean:

I measured the diodes on both flipper coils, and they measure the same on both flipper sides, so I'm guessing it's good. I can watch the light on the flipper board flash every time I push the flipper button, even when the flipper is stuck up. I've reseated the plugs on the board multiple times. I'm stuck. Is the board bad? watching the light flash on th eboard every time I push the flipper button, leads me to think the circuit is working up to the point it should switch to low power mode, or release.
Onebean

When you checked the diodes, did you remove one end from the circuit, or test without removing a leg?

#11 6 years ago

I tested them in place.

#12 6 years ago

Soldered in place is a better way to say it.

#13 6 years ago

You need to remove one leg from the coil, and re-test.

1 week later
#14 6 years ago

Replace the coil and diode tonight and it works great. Time to play now!

Onebean

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 8,999.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside