Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by indypinhead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SANY2817.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Saw a listing on craigslist for a "working" data east simpsons that has a broken flipper for 900. I am assuming the worst here and that it will need lots of work. I havent contacted the seller or anything so i have no pics or any more info than what i just said.

Read some past threads on this title and it seems that TSPP blows this out of the water. I get that. Also see that this game usually has playfield wear and broken plastics, and could have board/connector damage.

So assuming the worst, i have a few questions

If truly the only thing wrong is a flipper needs rebuilt, is 900 a good price for this (ballpark)?

I dont want to step into the world of unobtanium parts... So
What is the general availability of parts for this title (game specific things)?
What is the general availability of data east common parts, flipper parts, boards, displays, etc?

What is a cleaned up, fixed plastics, fixed board/connector issues, data east simpsons worth?

My two pins are newer sterns and havent needed much repair work (thankfully), and i thought a project game might help me hone my repairing skills a bit and be fun.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

and i though a project game might help me hone my repairing skills a bit and be fun.

Given this goal, go for it. The value of your honed skills can counterbalance any disappointment you feel if you end up "upside-down" on the project fiscally.

-Rob
-Visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#3 6 years ago

900 is a decent price. you will be lucky to sell it for over 1,400. if it's in super shape, 1,600.

the pro's: it's very easy to work on, has no opts and no subways.
the multi ball is brutal and one of the hardest to get which keeps the game fun.

the boards are all replaceable from rotten dog.

i had one on location and it made by far more then any other pin i put in that bar.
non pin people know the title and like it.

TSPP is a totally different ballpark of game.

m.

#4 6 years ago

Contacted seller. Game sold yesterday. Thanks for the helpful feedback!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Contacted seller. Game sold yesterday. Thanks for the helpful feedback!

Yeah I was gonna say....., the longer the you sit here thinking about it the more chances are that its already gone. $900 was a steal and I would have pulled the trigger on that price the second I seen the ad. Snooze you lose, but there's always next time... Good luck.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#6 6 years ago

I was first in line on that machine and owner was willing to hold it for me but I just had too much going on this week to pick it up. $900 would have been a decent deal just not good enough for me to rearrange my schedule for so I decided to pass. If it was a better title at a similar deal I would have been all over it.

In my eyes someone got a decent deal but not a great deal on an OK pin.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I was first in line on that machine and owner was willing to hold it for me but I just had too much going on this week to pick it up. $900 would have been a decent deal just not good enough for me to rearrange my schedule for so I decided to pass. If it was a better title at a similar deal I would have been all over it.
In my eyes someone got a decent deal but not a great deal on an OK pin.

Yes that would have been a long haul for you. I was factoring in that the location was within 20 miles for me based on the map on cl. Ive seen a few pins for sale in this area, but they are few and far between.

#8 6 years ago

I ended up with this Simpsons pin. It's in decent shape, a little beat up. Spent three hours today repairing corrosion damage on the MPU. It's gonna need some parts and a lot of cleaning. In the end, after a lot of work it will be a nice pin.

#9 6 years ago

Glad to hear someone from Pinside grabbed it. A good deal by the sounds of things but I just didn't have a day I could spare this week and I already have "too many pins". But somehow I keep making room for just one more! This weeks addition was a Cheetah that was delivered to me by a local flipper so even though I passed on one pin this week I still ended up buying a pin this week anyway.

#10 6 years ago

I'm in the "too many pins" club myself. I've got at least 5 that need to go. I hate dealing with craigslist and won't ebay anymore.

#11 6 years ago

Awesome that a pinsider got it! I grew up in Barrackville, just over a couple hills from you. Congrats! Board repair is over my skill level, so i would have passed if i saw that. Hope she goes easy on ya!

4 months later
#12 5 years ago

SANY2817.JPG
Finally got this CL "working" Simpsons running. For all those that wondered what this CL ad needed. MPU, flipper board and PPB rebuilt and power board repaired. Playfield torn down cleaned, waxed, new rubber, new drops and new cooling towers. All new bulbs mostly replaced with led. Intense cabinet cleaning, someone spilled coke onto the PF and inside cab many years ago. Cabinet also full of glass shards where BG and PF glass shattered at some point in time. I wish I had taken some before pictures. Overall this DE Simpsons turned out to be a nice pin with some PF wear and a few broken plastics. I originally purchased it for considerably less than the asking price and ended up with a nice players pin. Now to figure out what to do with it or where to put it.

#13 5 years ago

Awesome work!

#14 5 years ago

Wish I had never sold mine...held onto it for a while, hoping to get a TSPP to go w/ it. Sold the machine...picked up a TSPP a few months later....go figure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 197.00
Displays
PINBALLSP

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside