New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 251411)

Data East Simpsons club, ay caramba

By bowtech

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by LuchaBoyPIN
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200412_170724 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
20200321_204750 (resized).jpg
20200321_204739 (resized).jpg
20200321_204734 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200306-123646 (resized).png
0D0DEA48-DBD3-45E9-B6FA-73830536F084 (resized).jpeg
4E77A750-BDB1-4335-A405-6B3168EE6BA6 (resized).jpeg
5F1089F1-E1AB-47E1-8A9D-8A80AD4D309F (resized).jpeg
4128A04E-9511-4DF4-AD8D-78AF52B5337A (resized).png
C5B048A4-2700-441D-9146-CCB36088E78A (resized).jpeg
15C70781-4664-4A22-85E1-C83F11970A97 (resized).jpeg
2019-09-21 21.24.46 (resized).jpg
2019-09-21 21.26.01 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_070603_620 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I am picking up a Simpsons tomorrow and did not see a club so I thought I would start one. Tell me the good and the bad.

#2 1 year ago

Hey lambertville! Just put mine on location in Toledo.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Hey lambertville! Just put mine on location in Toledo.

where at?

#4 1 year ago

Can anyone tell me how many buttons the service switches should have? Mine has 2 and I cannot get it into free play

#5 1 year ago

Also in need of replacement cooling towers if anyone has any or a line on some.

#6 1 year ago

Machine cleaned and missing topper replaced. Really liking this game.

IMG_20190920_070603_620 (resized).jpg
#7 1 year ago

I have one and my family really enjoys it. The code on it really needs a rework. Some of the bad that could be changed.

The nuclear power value is a great combo shot but just not worth enough to go after it. I would double the starting value.

In multiball there is nothing to do after you claim the jackpot. I would like to see the ability to relight the jackpot by knocking down the bowling pins again.

In multiball the jackpot builds slowly when you are not holding the flippers. I would like to see the jackpot build in increments of 500,000 by hitting any of the 3 lock shots. This would bring much more skill and strategy to multiball.

Currently the special can only be changed to award credit or an extra ball. Hitting down the 5 bank drop targets 3 times and then hitting the spinner to the lock shot collects the special. I would change the special to points and have it award 2 million. It has to be worth more than the millions ramp.

Chad has done some code rewrites to many data east games, I’d love to see him do this to the simpsons. It’s such an immersive theme that struggles because of super unbalanced scoring.

A lot of people knock the repetitive looping on the main ramp for the millions mode, but I don’t mind looping ramps and going for the loop back champ is fun. It’s just that currently with other shots being worth so much less it doesn’t make much sense to shoot for other things if you are strictly going for a high score. Bringing the other shots up to par would balance it better. In the past I thought using the ice cream targets to build the millions would be a good idea and that could still work but I prefer the loops.

#8 1 year ago

Accidentally double posted instead of editing...

1 month later
#9 1 year ago

Looking to replace the cooling towers on my Simpsons but would have a easier time finding Atlantis. Anyone know if tspp towers will work as replacements?

1 week later
#10 1 year ago

3d printing is also an option,

here's a test run from mine (opened the top because im still trying out some lighting mods)

2019-09-21 21.24.46 (resized).jpg2019-09-21 21.26.01 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#11 9 months ago

Does anyone know about a spring that might go where this screw is not supposed to be?
Maybe to keep the ball from getting stuck between the pop and drops...
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

15C70781-4664-4A22-85E1-C83F11970A97 (resized).jpeg4128A04E-9511-4DF4-AD8D-78AF52B5337A (resized).pngC5B048A4-2700-441D-9146-CCB36088E78A (resized).jpeg5F1089F1-E1AB-47E1-8A9D-8A80AD4D309F (resized).jpeg
#12 9 months ago

not sure about the spring but i have the same problem of the ball getting caught in that spot sometimes. i had to put a small post there to prevent it from happening

#13 9 months ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

not sure about the spring but i have the same problem of the ball getting caught in that spot sometimes. i had to put a small post there to prevent it from happening

I think that is what the spring is supposed to prevent. Can’t find any pictures for that area.

EDIT:: found another thread about it, for future reference. It is what I thought.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-simpsons-ball-catch-spring-wire
Must be what this random-looking screw is for.

4E77A750-BDB1-4335-A405-6B3168EE6BA6 (resized).jpeg
#14 9 months ago

oh perfect. my machine never had the spring and i was tired of the ball getting caught up there so i added a small post to prevent it

#15 9 months ago

Restored playfield! Not perfect, but 100 times better than it was.

0D0DEA48-DBD3-45E9-B6FA-73830536F084 (resized).jpeg
#16 9 months ago

Nice, I need to get back to mine.

Here's what was left of my spring, assumed to be original with the hook end under the screw.

Screenshot_20200306-123646 (resized).png
3 weeks later
#17 8 months ago

I've had mine since 1997 and have a few issues

1. Since we got it,when the ball is hit with the Left Flipper and hits the 3 Bank, it bounces up and hits the Playfield Glass (I'd say 25-50% of the time). A while back, someone on PinSide replied that Data East built their Flippers "too strong" on the games they put out in their final years and there's no true fix for it, is that still the consensus?

2. Recenltly & Sporadically, at the start of a Ball (when it comes out of the Trough),the music for Level 2 Multiball starts playing (when no Balls are Locked and the Game is supposed to be at Level 1). This lasts for the Duration of the Ball. PinSide suggested troubleshooting the Circuit Boards and in all the Repairs I've done it's the 1 thing I haven't messed with

3 (Pictured). - Cracked Top Lane Plastic

4 (Pictured). - Cracked Cooling Tower Plastic

5 (Pictured). - Just recently noticed Duct Tape on the front of the Main Ramp Assembly (and more underneath the Playfield)

6. Artwork Wear in a few places (Where Moe is before the VUK and in Picture #3 above Homer). I've been told it can be Restored but that Printing and Stenciling the Artwork back in is a very arduous undertaking if you don't know what your doing

I am very much a Novice when it comes to Repair and Restoration (for Complex Issues) but am 100% eager to learn more (and eventually become a Technician myself) so if this could be dumbed down as much as possible I'd appreciate it

Thanks guys!

20200321_204734 (resized).jpg20200321_204739 (resized).jpg20200321_204750 (resized).jpg
#18 8 months ago

I can help with number 1. Cut out some clear plastic and install it over the bowling pins. I’ve never had an air ball with mine because of the protector. The rest good luck. I have play field wear on mine and I’m no artist so I just play it as it is. As far as the plastics go this game is apparently notorious for the plastics being hard to find. Hopefully someone else can help with the rest

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#19 7 months ago

If i wanted to switch that Bulb out,do i need to take out the entire 5 Bank Assembly or is there another way?

20200412_170724 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#20 7 months ago
Quoted from LuchaBoyPIN:

If i wanted to switch that Bulb out,do i need to take out the entire 5 Bank Assembly or is there another way?[quoted image]

From underneath? Or can you just not remove the plastic above it?

4 weeks later
#21 6 months ago

I can remove the Plastic if that will allow me to replace the Bulb easier. If i wanted to do it from Underneath,would i just have to remove the Rubber?

#22 6 months ago

That's the worst bulb to change on the whole machine. You have to remove the ramp to be able to remove the plastic to remove the bulb. Under the playfield, the bayonet holder is stapled in and its screw has solder across it from the ground wire. I've left mine burned out for four years because it's just too much of a pain in the ass to change.

Quoted from LuchaBoyPIN:

1. Since we got it,when the ball is hit with the Left Flipper and hits the 3 Bank, it bounces up and hits the Playfield Glass (I'd say 25-50% of the time). A while back, someone on PinSide replied that Data East built their Flippers "too strong" on the games they put out in their final years and there's no true fix for it, is that still the consensus?

Under the bowling plastic is a metal plate that's almost the same shape as the plastic. If you rotate is 180' it will hang out over the drop targets like an awning and prevent all ball hop from there.

Quoted from LuchaBoyPIN:

6. Artwork Wear in a few places (Where Moe is before the VUK and in Picture #3 above Homer). I've been told it can be Restored but that Printing and Stenciling the Artwork back in is a very arduous undertaking if you don't know what your doing.

Luckily, Simpsons is a game with hand-drawn playfield artwork, so if you decide to re-paint the worn areas, even if you don't do a perfect job it won't be as noticeable as on playfields with straight lines and perfect circles.

4 weeks later
#23 5 months ago

If i wanted to make the Awning over the 3 Bank (either using Clear Plastic or the Trapezoidal Metal Plate underneath the 3 Bank Plastic),what type of Screws would I need to install it?

#24 5 months ago
Quoted from LuchaBoyPIN:

If i wanted to make the Awning over the 3 Bank (either using Clear Plastic or the Trapezoidal Metal Plate underneath the 3 Bank Plastic),what type of Screws would I need to install it?

The same screws that are already there. All you're doing is rotating the plate.

1 month later
#25 4 months ago

Anybody know what the Risque Sounds Adjustment is used for in the In Game Diagnostics? I don't notice a difference in the In Game Audio whether it's set to On or Off,and the show was pretty tame when the machine was released so i don't know what it could be in reference to

1 month later
#26 82 days ago

Hey folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has or knows of a playfield in good condition? Mine has the typical wear and would love to upgrade it.

#27 77 days ago

I am going to be picking up one of these soon. Anyone know where to get a lockdown bar?

2 months later
#28 4 days ago

My Machine is displaying "1 Ball Missing" when i press Start and all 3 Balls are accounted for and not stuck anywhere on the Playfield

- At first, the Trough Switch would "sputter" and not release the next Ball during a Game

- I took all 3 Balls out of the Machine manually and Drained them one at a time. The Machine still displays "3 Balls Missing" after the first one is Drained, meaning the Machine is not "counting" that first Ball, but it counts the other 2 just fine

- I hypothesized that during the Diagnostics we had to take a Ball out Manually, touch any Switch with it so it registered than Drain it. However, the issue persisted

- This last part is hard to describe, but the Shoot Again Switch had a Pin/Connector that looked bent and after some minor adjustments (without the Switch Adjustment Tool),the Issue was resolved but reoccurred after the end of Ball 1 on a Game we were able to start Successfully

- The Machine successfully completes the All Coil Test 3 times in a row (releasing the 3 Balls) when the Playfield is Raised

I'm lost as far as what the Issue could be and was wondering if (and how) i need to use my Switch Adjustment Tool to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 21.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Chichester, NH
$ 50.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside