Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

De drop target wear spot.jpg
DE drop target washers.jpg
SAM_2961-634.JPG
SAM_2962-709.JPG
image-805.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I recently rebuilt the 5 bank drop target assembly on a Data East Simpsons. I cleaned up everything and installed new drop targets. After doing this the coil can no longer reset all the drop targets. The only way it can reset them is if only 2-3 drop targets are down. If all 5 are down it doesn't even get them half way up.

I was going to replace the coil in the machine, which is currently a 090-5022-00. I looked in the manual and it shows a 090-5008-00 coil being used. The 5008 coil is quite a bit bigger in size than the 5022. Does anyone know which is the correct coil to use? I would think the manual would have the correct one but I've seen one other picture of a Simpsons 5 bank target assembly and it was using a 5022 coil.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I would check the resistance of the coil to start. That coil should be plenty strong to raise those targets

The resistance on the coil was 3.1ohms, which is what the new one I got is. I couldn't get the coil sleeve out of the coil so I replaced the coil. Unfortunately that didn't help as it's doing the same thing.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexG:

I had this problem on my Sega Harley. Here's what I found:
The bar that holds the bottom of the targets in the assembly has washers between it and the assembly. It's really easy to loose these while disassembling without even noticing because they drop from between the bar and the assembly while removing the screws. If they are not there the drop target ends scrape against the bar when the coil fires to reset them and they will not make it all the way up. Check to see if the drops are rubbing on the bar, if they are add washers to make the gap wider.

I'm thinking this might be the problem as the unit worked fine before I took it all apart, cleaned it and installed new drop targets. I see that one of the screws has a washer but it's on the head side of the screw. I thought this is how it was when I took the unit apart but I could be wrong. I just looked thru my parts and I don't have any extra screws that size. I'll have to get some and see if that does the trick. Thanks for the suggestion!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Did you run a qtip with some simple green (or another cleaning agent) on it through the blue pawl where the rod runs through? And also clean the plunger. I've seen those so gunked up that it impedes the coils motion. Also, if you haven't, clean that long black rod too that spans the assembly. It gets gummed up.
In other words, reclean things. I think that's your issue here.

Yeah, I cleaned up the whole assembly, the rods, plunger, etc really good. The whole assembly moves up and down just fine by hand.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Also verify all switches work in test

Yes, all 5 work fine.

#18 9 years ago

I had another issue I had to fix on this machine tonight. The laser kick coil had a wire disconnected and I found out why quickly. The TIP36c that drives it was shorted and the diode on the coil was bad as well. The ohms on the coil were good but I replaced the whole coil as the coil sleeve was seized up in it, from being locked on I'm sure. I also replaced the TIP36c which was shorted and the TIP122/2N4401, tho both of those tested fine. Now that is working again.

Another odd thing was in adjustments mode I couldn't change any settings with the start button tho the start button worked fine to start a game. Pulled the microswitch and found out why. Someone had soldered the wire to the wrong side of the diode. Changed that and it was working again.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

OK, Here is the deal with Data East Drop Targets!!!
The mechanism wears on the hinge pin for the brackets that lift the drop targets. This causes the bracket to droop further and further until the coil plunger is so far out of the coil or sort of cam'ed over so that it doesn't move with a smooth motion enough to lift all 5 targets in the allotted amount of time that the coil is on.

The easiest way to detect for this wear is to actually look at the top of the drop targets from the top side of the playfield. Knock the targets down, now check to see if the tops of the targets are flush with the playfield. If they are too low, then the assembly has some wear and you need to make some adjustments to get the targets and lift bracket to sit at the correct height.

There is no wear on my drop target assembly. Everything looks good and has fluid motion. The drop targets are flush with the playfield. When then drop targets are down, the bar that lifts them is flush with them as well with no wiggle room.

It just seems like the coil isn't getting enough power to lift all 5. If there are only 2 of any of the drop targets down, it lifts them no problem. Sometimes it can lift three but for the most part, with 3 or more down it can't do it. I installed a brand new coil as well.

I'm just not sure what else to try at this point. Suggestions?

#23 9 years ago

I pulled out the power supply and discovered that CN2 had a burnt pin. I also checked the caps with my ESR meter and all but one had low ESR (C2 was open). I'll have to order up a connector for CN2 and some new caps. I was getting alot of feedback out of the speakers when the CPU lamps turn on and off. Looks like it could be due to these bad caps.

I don't think this is going to help with the 5 bank drop target but it all needs to be done regardless.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Dumb question, but does it lift all 5 in test mode?
I guess I'm wondering if there is a reason all 5 should stay down during a game....

No. I'm testing the drop target assembly in the coil test mode. Also, if all 5 are down when the pin is powered up, it will try 4-5 times to lift them up (they hardly move) and then it stops trying.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

ANother dumb question: does it matter which targets are down when it works? Or is it totally random?

Totally random. I've tried every combination of 2 targets and it works fine. Add any third target to the mix and it can't push them up.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Put the washers back in anyway and give it a try. I run into this issue monthly with DE games and it's always just an adjustment on the later games or adding washers on the earlier games.

I'll give that a go once I get the parts for the power supply and get that put back in the machine. Thanks.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Put the washers back in anyway and give it a try. I run into this issue monthly with DE games and it's always just an adjustment on the later games or adding washers on the earlier games.

Ok, so I got the power supply all fixed up. I tried putting 1 washer at each end per your picture. This caused the drop targets to be sticking up over the playfield. Even with the washers, the coil could still not lift all five targets. The most it can lift is two.

I even tried replacing the plunger/link and that didn't change anything either. At this point I'm at a loss. It's like the coil is just not strong enough to lift it. It's a brand new coil, new coil sleeve, new plunger/link, new drop targets, cleaned up assembly, no excessive wear, etc. Not sure what else to try at this point.

Any ideas?

2 weeks later
#32 9 years ago

I got busy with other projects and I finally got a chance to dig back into this problem tonight and I managed to fix it. In coil test, I noticed that three of the flasher lights would trigger whenever I fired the 5 bank drop target coil, which I thought was odd. All three of these flashers and 5 bank drop target coil share the same red power cable. So, I looked at the red cables for those flashers and they were fine. So then I checked the red cable for the other coils that daisy chain on that line as well. Sure enough, one of the two red wires going to a pop bumper had a wire that was just barely hanging on. When I tugged on the wire, it broke right off. Bingo!

So I resoldered the wire and sure enough, that fixed it. Kinda mad at myself I didn't figure this out sooner. I had visually inspected all the red wires previously but it wasn't until I actually tugged on each one was I able to find the culprit.

Time to play some Simpsons...

"Lock the ball man! Shoot it!"

5 years later
#37 3 years ago
Quoted from blairan213:

Raising the dead as this is apparently a common thing, went down same path until reading this thread, and then viola, there was the red wire hanging from pop bumper! Thank you!

Glad it helped fix your problem!

3 months later
#39 3 years ago
Quoted from evslow:

Debaser, and others, thanks so much for all the advice. i just bought my Simpsons yesterday with non working target bank. I cleaned everything and added washers where they were missing. The coil had been replaced and the person who installed it just twisted the wires, no solder. I soldered them, but no luck. followed the red wire back to the bumpers...low and behold, it was detached. Soldered it on and everything is good. Thanks again!!!!

Glad it helped. Nice work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider debaser.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-simpsons-5-bank-drop-target-issue?tu=debaser and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.