Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm diagnosing a Data East version 2 power supply for a friend from a 1990 Phantom of the Opera. He is shipping me the board. To troubleshoot the 5v supply on this board can I connect it to the transformer or board set of a Data East version 3 or Sega version 3b game? Both being DMD machines, the Sega being a jumbo 192x64 DMD game.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm diagnosing a Data East version 2 power supply for a friend from a 1990 Phantom of the Opera. He is shipping me the board. To troubleshoot the 5v supply on this board can I connect it to the transformer or board set of a Data East version 3 or Sega version 3b game? Both being DMD machines, the Sega being a jumbo 192x64 DMD game.

I’m fairly certain they are only compatible within their generation. If they’re both DMD then they should work for the Data East at least

3 weeks later
#3 3 years ago

I found this from Pinwiki. The only difference between 520-5000-00 and 520-5047-00 seems to be the high voltage display circuit. So supposedly, I can swap these out and leave the high voltage display power unplugged. I'm asking to test for a friend's Data East Version 2 game using a Version 3 power supply, as I don't have any Version 2 games with the 100% correct power supply.

Part Number 520-5000-00
This power supply was used on games with alphanumeric displays such as "The Simpsons". It creates both +100 and -100 volts to operate the plasma score displays. Typical problems with this board include:

Burned general illumination connections and connectors.
Pins on CN1, called a "wafer" connector, burn. You can safely exchange the unused pins at positions 5 and 8 for burned pins in a pinch.
The fuse clips are brittle, and fracture easily or lose their tension, a common theme across all Data East power supplies.
This power supply is compatible with the D-8345-XXX power supply from Williams and vice versa.

Data East 520-5047-00 Power Supply

Part Number 520-5047-00
This power supply was used on the five games (Checkpoint, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman, Star Trek, and Hook) which used the smaller 128 x 16 DMD. One thing which makes this power supply stand out at a glance are the two large 10W power resistors installed on the unit. Other things which make it different from the power supply used with a "standard" 128 x 32 DMD are:

The use of MJE340 and MJE350 high voltage transistors versus MJE15030 and MJE15031 transistors.
While compatible, the -00 should not be used as a replacement for the -01 power supply. The -01 is capable of delivering higher currents and is more robust.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-sega-psu-compatibility and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.