• Latest reply 6 years ago by trueno92
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.20.54 AM (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a Secret Service that randomly resets during gamepkay. I read that it might be a bad diode so I've changed a number (not all) but problem seems to be happening more frequently. Used to happen only during a really long ball but now much more frequent. No bad switches or coils on startup diagnostics.

I'm not the best at troubleshooting but have been successful changing transistors and replacing coils. Could use some help on how to locate/check components.

Thankful for any help. Hosting Christmas and trying to get games working...
Secret Service

#2 6 years ago

Get a DMM/Voltemeter to measure power supply logic +5VDC rail. You'll need to measure DC, and likely AC ripple voltage. Computers (including the computer that runs your pin) need stable and precise power supplies. Verifying correct power is step #1. Have the power filtering caps ever been changed while in your possession?

Power supply connectors CN1 and CN2 should also be checked or repinned. Sometimes, but not always, you can verify a cracked or oxidized connector pin by gently wiggling the connectors during gameplay. If it resets then, you've identified your problem.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#reset

#3 6 years ago

wayout44,

Thank you for your help. I hope it is this easy - I checked all the connectors especially CN1/CN2 and was trying to get it to reset - 5 games later - no more issues.

Hopefully it was that simple.

Thank you.
wayout440

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from stlmo:

wayout44,
Thank you for your help. I hope it is this easy - I checked all the connectors especially CN1/CN2 and was trying to get it to reset - 5 games later - no more issues.
Hopefully it was that simple.
Thank you.
wayout440

Well, sometimes it is. Provided the connectors are in good shape without damage, cracked solder on the pins or breaking crimps for example - there's not much surface area and a possibility of oxidation. Read on http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

#5 6 years ago

I had this same thing happen (I've owned 3 Secret Service machines) and it turned out to be the mains transformer (CN1) plug that plugs directly in to the power supply. Replacing the burnt/corroded pins on the wired harness side resolved the reset/non boot issue for me. Pictured here:

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.20.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-12-13 at 9.20.54 AM (resized).png

A very common Williams/Data East problem.

#6 6 years ago

Good Tip here... very good to know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-secret-service-random-reset?hl=trueno92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.