You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00827.JPG
CN11 Damage.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first post on pin side so thank you for your patience.

I picked up a DE Secret Service that was not working.
Replaced the power supply and got it to boot up but it won't kick out a ball for play and the flippers don't work.

I checked all the fuses and they are solid. Diagnostics didn't turn up anything. So I'm not sure of the next step. Any pros have advice?

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

First rule of fixing pinball--> ALWAYS remove fuses from holders to test them.
Second rule of fixing pinball--> It's probably a connection issue.

Really need some more info to help further... Does the game take a credit and play the start up music for the game? If so, you likely have an issue with the flipper wiring and/or coil voltages.

If not, can you put the game in free play and start a game that way?

If not, you have switch or battery problems.

(a good fuse should read 0-1 ohms, unless it's a very low AMP fuse)

1 week later
#3 10 years ago

I checked all the fuses out of the holders but for fun I went back and checked them again. They are all ok.

I'm using the power supply out of my DE Playboy. It boots up the game and lets it take a credit. Then it starts the game but doesn't kick out the ball or let the flippers work.

I haven't had time to work on it more but will add updates as I do.

Thanks for the help.

#4 10 years ago

the ppb board (popcorn popper board, cause they run ''hot'' ) sounds like it could be the issue.
check for cold soder, and check the fuses (as said above, out of the holder, because sometimes they will test good in)

#5 10 years ago

edit* I just remembered there is no PPB board on Secret Service. There is however, a separate small board for the flippers next to the cpu, under the power supply ( like there is in F14) There is a fuse there, check that and report back

#6 10 years ago

There is/are also a playfield fuse(s) for coils mounted on the underside of MOST DE pinball machines. If it pops, no coils will work.

#7 10 years ago

There was a fuse holder cracked on the smaller flipper board. I think the manual calls this the 50 VDC Coil Power Supply Bd. Yes? I think this is what is the issue. I will repair it and report back. Is this what you were talking about shacklersrevenge?

Incidentally the fuse in it is ok but I can't read what value it should be - 3A SB? I can't make it out. Anyone know? The manual doesn't list it - or if it does I can't find it.

I checked every other fuse out of the holders again for the third time. No other cracked holders or bad fuses, including under the playfield.

Thanks for all your help.

I will fix the cracked holder and let you know.

#8 10 years ago

Yeah, a cracked holder is all it takes. I will check my fuse now and report back, but yes, that board is for the flippers

#9 10 years ago

It's a 5a slow blo,
report back if you get it worked out

#10 10 years ago

Ok - fixed the fuse holder. Put in a fuse.

Now when I fire it up the flippers work, but the game still won't kick the ball out to start play. The top 3rd flipper has issues and is not moving very far - I will rebuild it.

Also the Player 3 and Player 4 score displays don't light up - which makes diagnostics hard - plus it's in French. I'm kinda stuck there.

The ball saver that pops up is constantly up too so the ball won't drain when it is in play.

I can swap over parts from my Playboy machine - like I did the power supply - in order to figure out which systems are not functioning but as of right now I figure it's not the MPU or other boards.

#11 10 years ago

Be careful swapping boards around, it's easy to mess something up on those finicky Data East pins..

The ball saver popper always pops up with the spinners-everytime

player 3 and 4 displays are likely gassed, best to buy a low voltage rottendog display for $150

Not sure, but taking the batteries out should restore the pin to U.S factory settings (unless you have some weird foreign roms)

and lastly, did you check all the switches in the ball trough? if they all work, double check the fuses. If they are all good, you most likely have a blown transistor on the CPU- Do you have a manual? If not, go to ipdb.org and download your game manual, trace back the solenoid that runs the ball kickout, then test that transistor on the cpu, it could be blown

GL!

#12 10 years ago

OK - I replaced the displays with the ones from my Playboy. And lo and behold the diagnostics are now in English. WTF? But the fwd/rev switch is broken so I can only do diagnostics. Lucky? Maybe.

I have a few dead switches but the main issue is the coils. None of them are firing. That is causing the balls to just sit in the trough and not get kicked forward. As well as the ball not getting kicked out into the shooter so you can start playing.

I ran out of time but I will go back and check the fuses again tomorrow. This is just sort of an update.

There are no batteries in the holder. I get the nice Adjusts Reset every time I fire it up.

I also found that the pop up ball saver has broken free from the coil. Not sure if I can buy a new one... I am missing the right spinner. Need a repair/rebuild kit for the top right flipper. Need to repair all 5 drop targets. And get a new fwd/rev switch installed in the diagnostics buttons.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I have learned to never listen to a seller when buying a dead pin. And to offer a serious low ball when buying a pin if it isn't working. Lol

#13 10 years ago

When you say ''none of the coils are firing'' does this include the pop bumpers, and other kickouts, such as the eject saucer at the top of the playfield? or just the trough? Keep in mind that if your switches were not working at the trough, it would not let you start a game (would say ball/s mising on the displays) so I'm curious to know if it's dead switches or just crappy/flakey switches?

Not sure about the pop up ball saver. For the time being, if it's covering the hole, just leave that be for now until the other issues get ironed out.

My second machine was a Data East Torpedo Alley. I learned a lot from that experience, it was a terrible nightmare. As a reminder, I still have the playfield hanging on my wall, as I parted out the machine, and I rob it for goods from time to time. Data East pins can be finicky, but they also can be ironed out and enjoyed.

#14 10 years ago

Yes - none of the coils fire (bumpers, kickouts, target resets, etc.) and that has me stumped for now. Again all the fuses on the playfield underside are good as are the ones in the back-box. I ran the coil diagnostics and none of them fire. I can't go much further with the fwd/reverse switch not operational. Any ideas there?

I fixed the ball saver and I think it will work correctly.

I like fixing them. Like a giant puzzle. And it's forcing me to learn about electronic issues that I didn't know about.
I want to repair them rather than just throw boards at them. I just know nothing about tracing or testing the board circuits...
But I can learn, which I love to do.

And I like the artwork of the older pins from the late 70's - early 80's. I like the playfield on the wall idea.

#15 10 years ago

Also most of the switches work (all but 2 target) - I checked them in diagnostics mode. All of the switches in the trough work - its just that the coil won't kick the ball forward...

It doesn't say ball missing when all three balls are sitting in the trough.

#16 10 years ago

And last but not least -

When the upper right flipper is at rest should the EOS be open or closed? I'm thinking closed (down) at rest like the bottom flippers and mine is open, which is why it won't work correctly.

Again that's the upper playfield flipper.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

When you say ''none of the coils are firing'' does this include the pop bumpers, and other kickouts, such as the eject saucer at the top of the playfield? or just the trough? Keep in mind that if your switches were not working at the trough, it would not let you start a game (would say ball/s mising on the displays) so I'm curious to know if it's dead switches or just crappy/flakey switches?
Not sure about the pop up ball saver. For the time being, if it's covering the hole, just leave that be for now until the other issues get ironed out.
My second machine was a Data East Torpedo Alley. I learned a lot from that experience, it was a terrible nightmare. As a reminder, I still have the playfield hanging on my wall, as I parted out the machine, and I rob it for goods from time to time. Data East pins can be finicky, but they also can be ironed out and enjoyed.

That's sad. TA is a very hard to find pin these days, as they only made 1000 of them. It is one of my favorite games. I've brought two TA's back to life but they were challenging to get working properly.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from GoodManners:

And last but not least -
When the upper right flipper is at rest should the EOS be open or closed? I'm thinking closed (down) at rest like the bottom flippers and mine is open, which is why it won't work correctly.
Again that's the upper playfield flipper.

Yes, should be closed.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from GoodManners:

Also most of the switches work (all but 2 target) - I checked them in diagnostics mode. All of the switches in the trough work - its just that the coil won't kick the ball forward...
It doesn't say ball missing when all three balls are sitting in the trough.

Do you have coil voltage to all the coils in the game once you start a game? You should. If voltage is missing, it could be a connector, the power supply itself, the bridge mounted to the backbox(fuses), or even the transformer plug/connection in the bottom of the cabinet; they are notoriously flaky on early DE pins.

#20 10 years ago

I don't see any power to any of the coils. With game running the DMM should show a reading of 25 to 80 volts DC if I ground out one DMM lead and put the other lead on the coil lug - correct? In either event I get nothing. On any coil.

It's not the power supply - that came from my working Playboy 35th.

From here I am stumped. I'm not all that good at electronics but will try and muddle through it.

Thanks for all the help so far. And for your patience. I'm slowly learning as I go.

#21 10 years ago

Do you hear a little "click" of the relay on the main MPU of the game click on just after you press start? You should. Hold you hand on it to confirm as you (or a helper) pushes start.

It provides power to the flipper coils in the game and switches the game from an "attract" state to a "ready to play" state...

You symptoms also seem to point to this relay. It is a fairly simple circuit. A diode, small transistor, and couple other parts...

Make sure you check the plugs in the bottom of the cabinet like I suggested as well.

Did you also test all the bridges? It is just as important to test them as it is to test the fuses.

Remember, this era DE is essentially a Williams system 11 and 99% of troubleshooting it will be the exact same procedure on a Williams system 9 or 11 pinball.

#22 10 years ago

Thanks sniper. I do hear the relay click very faintly when you press start. I put my finger on it and felt it click also.

I'm not sure how to check the plugs at the cabinet bottom. I wiggled them all and they are all seated. None are burned. Can you please elaborate a bit on taking that further...

And I don't know how to check the bridges either - can you elaborate on that?

Thanks.

#23 10 years ago

So I finally pulled the MPU board off to look at it in the light because where I am working is fairly dark and my trouble light casts shadows.

First thing I notice is that CN11 is burnt - not the plug but above it the transistors and the board itself. The remaining transistor was bent over the gap so it wasn't obvious...
It looks horrible in the picture but wasn't immediately noticeable in the machine when viewed head on.

So sorry for not noting that earlier. Could have saved some time.

I'm guessing it's by a new MPU time? This area on mine is quite charred. Not sure its repairable (definitely not repairable by me).

My question now is if this area shorted out and burned could that have been what killed the power supply? Or did the power supply cause this?

CN11 Damage.jpgCN11 Damage.jpg

#24 10 years ago

Wait, why do you think the power supply is bad?

The Q40 transistor is toast/gone... That transistor fires the knocker coil in your cabinet. Make sure it is disconnected as you troubleshoot further (cut the knocker wires), as it is probably toast.

The MPU doesn't actually look that bad. I've repaired MUCH worse. From that picture, it appears that the knocker has locked on your machine, causing the Q40 transistor to fry and heat up the board a bit. I would remove the fuses and check that each one is NOT an overfused value in your game. The board should really never overheat that badly unless fuses are either bypassed or, a way higher value is installed than the circuit is designed to handle.

You can fix the board. Believe it or not, that burned area is probably not causing your problem.

Never throw new parts at a problem before you know the cause. You'd just be wasting money.

#25 10 years ago

Thanks.

From the beginning this game never worked. When I replaced the original power supply with the one from my Playboy the game fired up but none of the solenoids fired.

So I assumed that the original power supply is bad and was wondering what direction to go to fix it. I figured maybe the burned MPU would point in which direction to look for issues.

All of the fuses are correct. The only fuse issue was on the 50 VDC Coil Power Supply Bd - I repaired the fuse holder and set a new fuse in it.

There is no knocker coil in this machine - I know the manual says there is one but there isn't. Not one that I can find with a flashlight. I looked in the back-box and inside the cabinet. There are no cut wires that would suggest there is one either...

So I'm thinking that the previous owner cut the coil out and kept on playing. Because there would be no issue with Q40 gone - would there?

So still not sure about next step.

#26 10 years ago

No issue if you don't mind that there isn't a knocker coil present. One thing however. If the board burned through a trace, it may need to be stitched so that those transistors all work to fire coils properly throughout the MPU board.

True, your original power supply could certainly not be working properly but it is probably because it is missing a voltage. It certainly didn't cause that MPU board burning. That burning was caused by a locked on knocker coil. Those issues are not related at all.

I agree with your observation regarding the knocker. The original owner probably removed it. You "should" see two bare wires somewhere in the game not connected to anything if that's the case.

Next step is still trying to figure out why the coils aren't firing... You need to find out where the coil voltage originates in the game and follow it through the back box and determine why none your play field coils have voltage.

A broken L/R relay can cause power to not get to MANY coils. This will always affect more than one coil. Cold solder joints on the L/R relay to PPB board solder pads can impede power too. I will have to look in my SS when I get home. As someone stated earlier, there isn't a PPB board in a SS. I know for a fact that there IS a L/R relay and THAT is the most likely cause of your problem. It has nothing to do with the MPU board.

#27 10 years ago

And for reference,,, here is what the kicker looks like in a Secret Service.. Located on bottom of cab, left side near transformer.

DSC00827.JPGDSC00827.JPG

#28 10 years ago

So I'm assuming this is where I'm headed then, testing the L/R relay.....

Found this on KLOV

On most DataEast/Sega games, the "L" (or "A") bank was for coils, and the "R" (or "B") bank is for flashlamps. But on games from Time Machine to the Simpsons, this logic was reversed. In these games the "L" bank was used for flashlamps (instead of coils), and the "R" bank was used for coils (instead of flashlamps). Keep this in mind when diagnosing problems.

The first thing to do is to test the solenoid L/R select relay. Turn the game on, and enter diagnostics (entering diagnostics should de-energize the L/R relay; on some games the L/R relay will stay energized after finishing a game because of an after-game flasher light show). Take an alligator test wire and connect it to the metal tab on transistor Q29. Then with the game on and in attract or diagnostic mode, touch the other end of the alligator clip to the ground strap in the backbox (WWF Royal Rumble and later, make sure the coin door is closed). The L/R select relay on the PPB board should click "on and off"; it will click on when the transistor is grounded, and off when not.

Another way to test the L/R relay is find the 1N4004 diode next to the L/R relay. This is the blocking diode for the relay. If the Non-Banded side of this diode is grounded using an alligator test lead, this will also energize the relay. On games with PPB boards, remember the L/R relay is mounted on this board (and its diode is right next to the relay). On the first two DE games that don't have a PPB board (Laser Wars and Secret Service), the L/R relay (if the games have one, I'm not sure!) would be mounted under the playfield.

If the relay "click" is not heard, do a quick test of transistor Q29 using a DMM:

* Turn the game off.
* Put the DMM on ohms (buzz tone).
* Put one lead on the ground strap in the backbox.
* Touch the other lead to the metal tab on transistor Q29.
* If the DMM shows zero ohms (buzz), the transistor is bad! (shorted on). This bad transistor will cause the L/R relay to stay energized.

The Q29 transistor can stay grounded for a period of time. This will not ruin the transistor or the relay. Do not leave Q29 grounded for more than a few minutes. That should be plenty of time to test any coils.

Low Coil Voltage.
Another problem is that the L/R relay can have pitted contacts on its switches. This can cause some resistance, and lower the coil voltage. If testing the coil voltage at the coils shows less than 50 volts or 25 volts DC (depending which voltage the coil uses), the L/R relay should be checked. Often the plastic cover that goes over the relay can be removed, and the switch contacts gently files. Also check for cold solder joints on the relay solder points. Also keep in mind that the 50 volt coil voltage will usually test at 70 volts (because there is no load, and the voltage is unregulated). The 25 volt system will often test as high was 38 volts.

Is the Solenoid L/R Select Relay Bad?
Be aware that relays can go bad too. This can especially happen if transistor Q29 locks on for an extended time, and leaves power to the relay turned on. The relay can actually get so hot, it burns the relay contacts together. Sometimes the solder joints on the L/R select relay can go "cold" or fatique. This often will make an L/R select relay not work (but reflowing the relay solder joints can generally fix this).

#29 10 years ago

Also my kicker is in fact gone. I found the 2 wires taped up inside the cabinet.

Thank you for the photo and location information. Helped me out.

5 months later
#30 9 years ago

Hi guys,

I also have an SS machine with very similar issues to yours; the L/R relay is not firing and the solenoids/lights are not working despite an apparently good +34V line.

Was this issue ever resolved.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 month later
#31 9 years ago

Run the solenoid tests. That's what was wrong with mine.

#32 9 years ago

You can just follow the charred traces and run jumper wire from component to component then test continuity, regardless of how badly the pads/board looks. Don't junk it. Just replace those TIPs and run jumpers and test continuity on both sides of the board when you are done. Make sure the board is wiped clean before installing too obviously to prevent further corrosion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-secret-service-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.