4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Nick_C
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 4 years ago

I am fixing a Rocky and Bullwinkle for a friend, on startup, all coils fire in a sequence and dmd is not on. It may do that a few times or only once. Once the game boots up, start a game, the launch button does not work and niether do the flippers. As far as the flippers go, it is not the flipper board, switched it out with a known working board, same problem.

A few weeks ago it would just keep firing the balls out and all coils would fire in sequence. I found the solder on the pins for the relay that is on the playfield power board cracked. Once solder was removed and reflowed the game worked fine for a couple of weeks until this happened.

He has a lethal weapon 3 which has the same boards, can I switch them out one at a time for troubleshooting? What could be the likely problem? CPU or playfield power board?

#2 4 years ago

The flippers not working points to the flipper board but you have stated that you replaced with a known working one.Did you check the transistors that run the flippers? There is also pre driver transistors on the MPU but test the main transistors first

#3 4 years ago

Sounds like 5v is too low. Can you measure the 12v, -12v and 5v at the top of the power supply?

Usually when 5v is low, C2 starts leaking out and damages the trades under the capacitor. Many times the board looks wet around C2.

#4 4 years ago

Next time I see the machine, I will try these suggestions. I'll report back.

Nick

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick_C:

He has a lethal weapon 3 which has the same boards, can I switch them out one at a time for troubleshooting?

Yes. You can see the part numbers on the boards are the same. You need to swap the game ROM if swapping the CPU board.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Yes. You can see the part numbers on the boards are the same. You need to swap the game ROM if swapping the CPU board.

Thanks, that is what I thought. I will try this next week when I go back.

#7 4 years ago

Also look at the auto-launch coil, I accidently set the PF down on the front and pushed the pins together, then it would auto-launch.

#8 4 years ago

This^^^^^^^
And check targets for loose or cold joints

2 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

I like to see threads where the fix is posted, it can help someone out.

I found the F5 fuse kept blowing, checked the bridge rectifier on the PPB, 1 leg was open. After digging online I found a replacement, original is obsolete, abit on the pricey side though.

Replace the rectifier, game now fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

3,900 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
$ 18.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-rocky-and-bullwinkle-all-coils-fire-dmd-out-on-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.