3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Resistor (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I'm fixing a friends Phantom, as a special solenoid locked on(left sling.) So while I am replacing Q4 and upgrading Q10 to a Tip102, I decided to check upstream resistors values. In particular R20-R30even, all are supposed to be 2.7k (1/4w?) per schematic but all measure about 2.2k with the repair circuit related R24 coming in at 1.9k, so I'd like to replace it too.

Question is, " do I replace with a legit 2.7k (1/4w?) or something more along the 2.2k the others are measuring? I assume that all tested components are originals.

Thanks for the direction!

#2 3 years ago

Are you removing one leg of the resistor to measure it ? If not the readings will be skewed by the other components connected to it.

#3 3 years ago

I did not know that about resistors, I thought it was diodes. Anyway, all the comparable resistors (R20-R30) were measured on board at the leads on opposite sides of the actual resistor. So the values should all be w/in the same tolerances(purportedly 5% on schematic notes), regardless of them being closer to 2.7K. or 2.2K like I measured. Either way the R24 was another 10% lower at 1.9k which I think warrants a replacement.

I placed my 2.7k replacement next to a similar resistor to R24(pic) and the colors are close tho not exact but they're 30 years old!?

Since I'm replacing R24 regardless, I cut a leg and measured. It was 2.665k! So I think it was still good and like you said, being greater affected by the adjacent Q4 and bad Q10.

I appreciate the resistor lesson, and now I know, and hopefully will remember!

Thanks again for you timely response and lil pearl of wisdom!

Resistor (resized).jpgResistor (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

You are welcome, I'm glad to help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-resistor-values-discrepancy-need-clarification- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.