(Topic ID: 219663)

Data East Power Supply Xpin or Rottendog

By Jenniebear

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

What is the better option to replace my power supply? Will either get rid of the hum?

#2 5 years ago

Xpin should be your first choice for any aftermarket board set like displays or power supplies. Newest tech and great customer support.

#3 5 years ago

Or the best option by far is to rebuild your factory power supply. Replace everything on the board. Some aftermarket boards do not work well with some games.
    Original is always best.

#4 5 years ago

There has been some awful repairs done over the years. Some of the traces burnt and jumped. I wasn't even sure if it was worth rebuilding. It lost 12 volts and the sound board is going wonky.

#5 5 years ago

Well it probably can be fixed but if you are not skilled at doing so you may be better off to buy the xpin and be done with it. Keep the original though so when you find someone who can fix it or your skills improve , you can tackle it then. Data east games do not really 'like' aftermarket power supplies.

How are your desoldering and soldering skills? This needs the headers, caps and fuse clips redone and a new bridge rectifier replaced at a minimum.
    Then reinstall and test voltages CAREFULLY with only PS board powered up.
    I would repair the original unless I had no other choice.

#6 5 years ago

IMO, this should be the priority for DE PSUs.

1. Repair your current DE PSU if it's in good condition (especially if you can do the work yourself).
    2. XPIN board. Although, I've seen issues with XPIN board, I've seen fewer issue than RD.
    3. RD board.

I don't have anything against RD, but I prefer XPIN's product in there are comparable versions available.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from comment23:

IMO, this should be the priority for DE PSUs.
    1. Repair your current DE PSU if it's in good condition (especially if you can do the work yourself).
    2. XPIN board. Although, I've seen issues with XPIN board, I've seen fewer issue than RD.
    3. RD board.
    I don't have anything against RD, but I prefer XPIN's product in there are comparable versions available.

yup. Agreed. just as I said above. I would repair the original unless I had no other choice. Then aftermarket stuff xpin first due to less compatability issues.

#8 5 years ago

Xpin gets my vote

#10 5 years ago

Does anyone sell a rebuild kit for the stock ps?

10 months later
    #11 4 years ago

As of May 2019 is Xpin still around ? I have a XPin DE power supply that all 6 fuse clips are bad . Their web site seams to end in 2015 ? Please post any Info for XPin .

#13 4 years ago

My lethal weapon 3 ps went out last week. I just bought a power supply and installed it this morning from xpin and all seems fine! I'd vote for xpin if you aren't into soldering .

3 months later
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jenniebear:

Does anyone sell a rebuild kit for the stock ps?

This is a great question. Inquiring minds..... ; )

1 week later
    #15 4 years ago

Not that I am aware of. You can buy all the individual capacitors, bridge rectifier, and the High Voltage section of parts without a problem. I no issues finding the parts based on the power supply schematic.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-power-supply-xpin-or-rottendog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.