You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PSSchematic2.JPG
PSSchematic1.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hi,
I have a beat up TFTC whose backlight never lit up. I'm ready to look into it - I checked continuity from the backbox lights to the boards and everything looks good (it goes straight to the Power Supply).
I checked the Test Points on there. +5V is +5V sharp, +12 is about +11 and -12 is about -14.

When I look at the pins that should power the backglass, I get somewhere between 0 and 1V AC, where I should get 6.3V AC.

I looked at the schematics but I don't understand what's going on (included pics) - it does look like it goes through a relay. Maybe I should try to short that relay and see what happens? I don't understand how that 6.3V gets generated, not from looking at the schematics anyway - I haven't removed the PS yet, I wanted to see if I can narrow it down further before I have to do that.

Thanks
Phil

PSSchematic1.JPGPSSchematic1.JPG PSSchematic2.JPGPSSchematic2.JPG
#2 10 years ago

the PPB board (popcorn popper board) under the power supply, did you check that? There is a connector near the relay at the top of the board (left side) that I believe powers those GI backbox lights. They tend to get toasty..

#3 10 years ago

Oh,
that would make sense. So that's why the schematic shows pretty much straight wiring - the PPB feeds that 6.3V then?

I'll look into that after supper, thanks for the tip.

#4 10 years ago

The 9 pin IDC for gi is almost always burnt in the tftc and de's I've seen
Check the pins and the traces on the power board
If this is your issue I'm almost positive it is
cut the wires back to good wire and put a new connector on
IDC will work
Molex and Crimp-on Trifurcon .156" Connectors is better
I had to do this to mine

#5 10 years ago

Yep,
you guys are probably right.

The circuit is simply that the PS sends power to the PCB just to go through fuses, then back to the PS and on to the GI.
The connector pins that receive power for the backbox are pretty much toasted. Although continuity checks out, I get full voltage on the PS, but it goes down to below 1V on the connector.

I had ordered a bunch of connectors exactly for this kind of thing, but I can't find them anymore...
I'll order some and let you guys know how it turns out, but it definitely looks like that's the problem.

Thanks for the help.
Phil

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Yep,
you guys are probably right.
The circuit is simply that the PS sends power to the PCB just to go through fuses, then back to the PS and on to the GI.
The connector pins that receive power for the backbox are pretty much toasted. Although continuity checks out, I get full voltage on the PS, but it goes down to below 1V on the connector.
I had ordered a bunch of connectors exactly for this kind of thing, but I can't find them anymore...
I'll order some and let you guys know how it turns out, but it definitely looks like that's the problem.
Thanks for the help.
Phil

I'd be willing to bet on it. I have seen this on 2 out of 5 machine restorations already.

#7 10 years ago

Yep,
that did the trick. The connector pins almost fell apart when I took off the connector.
Thanks a lot guys.

I was looking at the light bulb circuit behind the backboard panel and I was wondering how come it looked like somebody had soldered the two independent circuits together.
I guess the first pin went out, shutting down half the backglass, and the wise but lazy guy figured he'd just hook the two together, which would have put double the stress on the second pin until it burnt out too.

Phil

#8 10 years ago

Glad it helped

#9 10 years ago

Since you are working on it......replace the fuse clips.
DE is notorious for bad clips that either break or the fuse is held loose and cause problems.

Bussmann clips from GPE ( about .20 cents each)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-power-supply-question-no-backbox-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.