Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by r6emperor
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Data East Star Wars. Has a rottendog power supply, DMD would randomly display garbage or work perfectly fine. I repinned the 5v connectorand replaced the header on the display driver, it was very easy to pull off so I figured it couldn't hurt. Tried 3 other displays and none of them worked.

Checked all of the voltages,
-100v was -91
-110v was -94
68v was 76v
12v was 13.32v
5v was 5.01v

Replaced the rottendog with an original power supply and the voltages are back to where they should be and the display works fine again .

Anyone ever have problems like that with the rottendog? Is there any adjustments? I had to leave for work so I didn't really get to look at it yet.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2 9 years ago

Possibly bad negative regulator.

Do a search for posts containing phrase "Absolute Maximum"

#3 9 years ago

Thanks Ed. I did do a search at lunchtime and found out what was going on. I also read your article regarding the HV power design. Doesn't make much sense to overload them like that.... Is there any substitutes that could be retrofitted into place?

So I guess now I'll have to find an original and rebuild it. We got the game with the RD board in it already so I've got nothing to work with.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-power-supply-problems-with-dmd-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.