(Topic ID: 269368)

Data East Power Supply: Low 5V

By radial_head

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200526_162000 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hi there, (calling all you EE types)

I've got a Rocky and Bullwinkle that is having some issues, and I'm almost certain I've traced the issues back to a bad power supply. I'm getting a low 5V output from it.

TP1: +0.571Vdc
    TP2: Ground
    TP3: +12.1 Vdc
    TP4: -12.2 Vdc

So from my understanding of the board, 9vac comes in from CN1, and then goes to C2 (100uf 25v) D3 (14001N) and then onto IC1 (MC1723CP) TR5 2n6057, and then finally R6 DIRECTLY to output the 5vdc (just saying that I'm not going to go through and list all the components. If I were to start poking around, where do you think I should guess to point to as the culprit.

I would love to not have to replace the whole board with a new board for cost reasons, but I'm also not sure I want to go buy $50 in parts kits, spend hours desoldering and resoldering and then a few years off my life for breathing in the fumes and pulling every last hair out of my head trying to rebuild it properly.

#5 3 years ago

Capacitors replaced and it boots and plays! Thanks for the help.

What causes these two in particular to go bar so normally?

Now to figure out the DMD and sound issues!!

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Exactly what he said.
    If you look at the wrapper of the old and new caps; they say 85, 95, or 105 degrees on them.
    Most cheap common commodity caps are rated for say 85C for 1000hours. At that point they can be garbage.
    So 1000hours assuming 24/7/365 only gives you 3 years.
    These games are what; 30 years old? Time to replace those electrolytic caps.
    Usually when I recap a game or monitor; I pay for the 105C / >>1000hour caps. Just nice to know I don't have to worry about them for another lifetime.

Thanks for the info! This is super helpful information. Replacing C2 solidified 5v, it sent the 12v out of wack. I just happened to have one lying around. I'm going to go ahead and order a full cap kit for both the PSU and the Sound Board since they're both giving me issues.

Thanks for all the help everybody. This is a learning experience for me in a lot of ways. Appreciate it.

#10 3 years ago

With the pot unplugged I still get deafeningly loud sounds. I've seen a few threads started about this deafeningly loud sound issue but none with any resolve. Will do some more digging.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-power-supply-low-5v?tu=radial_head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.