Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6664.JPG
IMG_6663.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I plugged up my Checkpoint this morning (had gone out of town for the week and it's thunderstorm season in the south, ya' know) and booted up. Everything came up fine and after a minute or so the display blanked out. I smelled that tell-tale smell that something had burned.
So, checked the fuses (took them out and toned them) and they are all good.
Tested the voltages on CN5 and they are good except for pin-4. It's supposed to be 68vdc and I'm getting 32.2vdc. So, it looks like I'm going to need to do a high-voltage rebuild somewhat.
My question is what components to replace? D9 I would think for sure (68v zener diode).
I connected the dmd to the resistors to test and they appear to be good (r11, r12, r15, r8). Now, r15 gets hot enough to cook on. It's a ceramic and I understand they get hot, but this is really hot and has turned the board around it a little brown. Could c10 be bad and causing this?
TR3 looked a little brown, too, but it's hard to tell.
I'm not sure how to test TR3.

IMG_6663.JPGIMG_6663.JPG

IMG_6664.JPGIMG_6664.JPG

So, how would you all recommend that I go about this? Right now I'm thinking about replacing C10, TR3 and D9. I'm open to suggestions since this is my first attempt at a data east power supply. Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!!!

#2 8 years ago

Would love to see how this turns out. I almost went this route with my Tommy, but just ended up getting an XPin switching PS board. I kept the old one though, although my traces are a bit worse than yours. Best of luck.

10 months later
#3 8 years ago

I have same issue. Game is working 100% but R15 is cooking to the point of melting the solder on it. Any input on where the problem is?

#4 8 years ago

I picked up C10, TR3 and D9 but haven't done the repair yet. A Rottendog board came up from a friend for $20 so I just grabbed that and was back in business. I'm still going to try this board repair so that I can have a backup. The game for this board is on route so it's going to be a while before I'll be able to test the repair.

#5 8 years ago

I did the HV kit and same result. Ordered the rest of the caps, the bridge rectifier and so forth. I'll be sure to report back.

Also checked the famous R95 on the DMD board but it was fine.

#6 8 years ago

Above TR3 heatsink there is a (brown?) 330uF capacitor. Especially the dark brown ones are prone for leaking, spitting out its guts to TR3's legs and killing that part of the high voltage section. If not done already....replace the 330uF, 47uF and 100uF capacitors (to avoid 5V problems in the future).

Marco

#7 8 years ago

ok thanks. I'll change that along with the other caps and report back.

#8 8 years ago

Replaced all caps and the BR etc. No change. Gave in and ordered a new replacement board. I will deal with fixing this one later. Thanks guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-power-supply-cn5-pin-4-low-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.