View topic image gallery

IMG_7690 (resized).JPG
Cut (resized).jpg
trace (resized).jpg
20201102_092607 (resized).jpg
20201102_091332 (resized).jpg
20201101_215729 (resized).jpg
20201101_215729~2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 3 years ago

I've seen this exact issue nearly a dozen times. You have to dremel out all of the arced fiberglass and may have to run a jumper on the backside or use a razor blade and cut through the board to separate the two lines. That's a via just under the "E" on the left trace so it runs though the board. Any burnt material left in place can continue to arc. Also don't forget to clean all the leaked electrolytic and replace the caps. Also replace the 330 uf and the other small caps in the 5V circuit on this board while you are at it. I am finding that 330 uf cap leaking in around 90%+ of the original DE power supplies.

1 week later
#16 3 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Great News! Arcing has stopped and Everything is in good working order except the Display. Looks like I am missing -100V. Im guessing TR4 is my problem on the power board.

Did you add a jumper on the backside of the board to fix the trace you cut with the dremel?
Its the non-banded side of diode D8 and it's the junction of 5 components according to the schematics. Just see where the via on the backside of the board went.

trace (resized).jpgtrace (resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago

The red area is what you wanted to cut out (or even cut through) to separate the shorting circuits.

Cut (resized).jpgCut (resized).jpg
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

I did not. Is this why I am missing the -100v? ( and have no display)? I just received the two transistors for the 100 and -100v. I was going to change the one that drives the -100v. But your saying that I need to add jumper in the pic you circled above. It didnt look like I went deep enough to cause a problem??

Yes, you cut through a trace and need to repair it. My first pic with the 2 red circles and red rectangle show where the trace was cut. The rectangle is the now missing trace.
On the back of the board run a jumper from the non banded side of D8 to the trace that connects the middle leg of TR4 to the far leg of R13.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-power-supply-arcing-shorting?tu=kbliznick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.