By songofsixpence

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190831_220550 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider songofsixpence.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

This one strikes me as strange...

So I'm working on this for a customer. The sound is pretty awful -- low and distorted. Also some of the sounds seem to be missing. The call outs work, but the music is missing in test.

Never worked specifically on a DE sound board, but I look up that it requires +5, +12 and -12. The board also needs -5 to work properly, but that's produced on the board itself.

I check the input voltages, and the -12 is missing. -12 comes from the power supply board by a black wire with a white stripe. Sure enough, the black-white wire on the Power supply board has no reading. Funny thing, the adjoining pin does read -14V. Hmmmm....

I pull the PSB and examine the connector. Notice anything strange?
20190831_220550 (resized).jpg20190831_220550 (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago

the thing is... it looks to be untouched. I mean, there is previous work on the PSB, but that connector looks to be factory. Yet, the -12 wire is on the key!

I was under the assumption the sound would not work at all without the -12

#6 4 years ago

This machine has some strange previous work.

The Flipper coils were replaced. They were oriented correctly, but the sleeves were installed backwards. Maybe this is because the high-voltage fuse was blown, and the previous tech didn't know how these solid state flippers worked.

In the manual, I found the HV fuse value listed as both 3A and 5A. The blown one was 3, so I replaced with a 5.

I don't have an IDC punch tool, so I used a screwdriver to move the -12 wire to pin 2.

Sound is working good now. I guess the lessons are: always check voltages first, and don't be afraid to second guess previous work

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider songofsixpence.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-poto-audio-issue?tu=songofsixpence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.