(Topic ID: 173870)

Data East Pop bumpers

By transprtr4u

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    #1 7 years ago

Of late my pop bumpers just don't have that hearty kick... Before I tear them down should I clean the contacts . Should I use the business card trick to clean the contact points?

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Of late my pop bumpers just don't have that hearty kick... Before I tear them down should I clean the contacts . Should I use the business card trick to clean the contact points?

Yep. That's just Data East pop bumpers. They're the worst.
    You can re-gap the spoon or file with a flex stone, but don't expect the snappy action of Stern pops.

#3 7 years ago

So here is the trick I did on my DE games and capcom games. Besides cleaning contacts and adjusting them, replace the spoons with Williams spoons. Williams spoons are a bit shallower, and therefore provide more action.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

So here is the trick

Good thinking , already have a lot of Williams Ballys parts swapped out from the Data East !
    Will try the filing and then order the spoons
    Regards
    And thanks for the help!

#5 7 years ago

Isn't there a pretty good how to online?

#6 7 years ago

Aren't data east pop bumpers controlled by the driver board? (not sure which generation we're talking) Sanding non-high voltage contacts will just damage them, and it's not going to effect it anyway, as it'd just be a binary on/off signal.

#7 7 years ago

The game is A Tales From the Crypt

#8 7 years ago

Yeah, those are SS switches. They don't carry any current. As long as the bumper is firing at all, then the switch is clean. Make sure the spoon is pressing against the skirt, and the skirt is in the center of the spoon, and that the contacts are as close together as possible. If you can see a gap, they're too far apart

#9 7 years ago

I second dsuperbee's method! When I first got my Tommy machine the pops were very weak, (the bottom one would hardly even go off). After adjusting the leaf switches to be closer and getting new spoons from Pinball Life (with a more conical shape that centers the pin better), the pop bumpers have been excellent. Here's video proof!

#10 7 years ago

The spoon 'handles' on DE designs are much stiffer and are "U" shaped compared to the flatter and more flexible B/W design. This makes the B/W design more sensitive. Grind off the sides of the "U" on the DE spoons or use B/W parts. DE pops can be really good!

Don C.

#11 7 years ago

Thanks so much for everybody's time and effort in this matter ...
    Issue resolved

1 week later
    #12 7 years ago

so HOW was it resolved op?

#13 7 years ago

Cleaned contacts great improvement, ordered the shallower spoons ! When the parts arrive complete redo of the 3 turbo bumpers!
    The difference with the cleaning is amazing but and overhaul is due!
    Again thanks too all!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pop-bumpers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.