• 2 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jordan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi all,
After few years of trying to solve an Open the Door problem , i managed after Changing Pia at 9B to get game on play. Display is fine ,but i miss all sounds(Even the boot sound . The weird thing is that when i remove ribbon cable that goes to sound board i get the I'll be back sound .

The first time i started the game i got boot sound on a loop.I understand that this was not ok an i closed power. I did a check and i saw that sound ribbon cable was reversed (Pin one from MPU to pin 20 to Sound Board ) . I reseted and then i got no sound . Game and display plays fine.

I have checked voltages at Sound Board. -Fine
Have test all PIA in MPU with Leon's Test Eprom and all Pins 3 to 17 give pulses as should .
Reset is high as should be -right?
Also i have checked both ribbon cables and have continuity.

When checked with Test Eprom....
Pia at 9B that was fixed is somehow related with sound board as pins 18 & 40 go to CN 21 Sound driver ribbon Cable.These two Pin have both +5 Volts (Measure with Osciloscope-no activity )
Also at 7B Pia all outputs are pulsing except for 40,18 (measured at 5 Volts) 39 & 19 (Grounded )

As i have sound only when i remove the ribbon cable i assume that the sound board must be working fine. I have changed recently all 3 Sound Eproms and just for checking i installed the older one with no success.
Any idea of what to start searching will be a headache relief. This game has been inrestoration process for years with no success.

2 weeks later
#2 3 years ago
Quoted from jordan:

Hi all,
After few years of trying to solve an Open the Door problem , i managed after Changing Pia at 9B to get game on play. Display is fine ,but i miss all sounds(Even the boot sound . The weird thing is that when i remove ribbon cable that goes to sound board i get the I'll be back sound .
The first time i started the game i got boot sound on a loop.I understand that this was not ok an i closed power. I did a check and i saw that sound ribbon cable was reversed (Pin one from MPU to pin 20 to Sound Board ) . I reseted and then i got no sound . Game and display plays fine.
I have checked voltages at Sound Board. -Fine
Have test all PIA in MPU with Leon's Test Eprom and all Pins 3 to 17 give pulses as should .
Reset is high as should be -right?
Also i have checked both ribbon cables and have continuity.
When checked with Test Eprom....
Pia at 9B that was fixed is somehow related with sound board as pins 18 & 40 go to CN 21 Sound driver ribbon Cable.These two Pin have both +5 Volts (Measure with Osciloscope-no activity )
Also at 7B Pia all outputs are pulsing except for 40,18 (measured at 5 Volts) 39 & 19 (Grounded )
As i have sound only when i remove the ribbon cable i assume that the sound board must be working fine. I have changed recently all 3 Sound Eproms and just for checking i installed the older one with no success.
Any idea of what to start searching will be a headache relief. This game has been inrestoration process for years with no success.

For future reference to anybody that has been searching for a solution(Something that i did for almost 3 years ) to a similar problem :
The game finally plays with sound after changing 7B PIA. Pin 39 should have been pulsing when using a Leon's Test Epprom but there was no action and also Network resistance 4K7 Pin 7 was out of specs again showing problem with pin 39 of the Sound PIA.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-plays-game-but-not-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.