View topic image gallery

IMG_0111 (resized).JPG
file-2 (resized).jpeg
file-1 (resized).jpeg
file1 (resized).jpeg
file1 - Copy (2) (resized).jpeg
file (resized).jpeg
Sight_2017_03_16_222300_543 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalkatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I've got about 6 issues I need to iron out to get my machine running 100%. Hoping the Pinside community can give me some additional insight into resolving my problems so I can actually begin playing the darn thing.

Issue #1. Upon machine start up, the Champagne Kicker blows the F5 5amp sloblow fuse on the PPB. I repinned the connector that is associated with the black wire going to it(according to schematics). Still no luck. The 50v yellow wire has not been touched at all, yet. If I leave both wires disconnected from the coil, no blown fuse. The coil is new. PPB is new, aftermarket. Running a Rottendog MPU, XPIN Power board.

Issue #2. My flippers machine gun and don't hold when you keep flipper buttons held in, neither of them. So I'm guessing the 50v sent to flippes are fine... Maybe 9v to hold them in place not fine? They both have been completely rebuilt, and EOS are making contact appropriately.

Issue 3. Laser kick, when activated, kicks ball back into play field, but then, seconds later, Hef yells I'm off the grass and the game "tilts".

Issue 4. Spinner lights 1 and 3 not lighting up.

Issue 5. Scoreboard displays 1 and 2, upper two don't display properly..... Pretty much zeros all the time.

Issue 6. Sound board woes. A whole lot of buzzing, many sounds work, others that should be there are low, almost non- existant, and music is non-existant, too. You can hear it faintly but it's all scratchy.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I've got about 6 issues I need to iron out to get my machine running 100%. Hoping the Pinside community can give me some additional insight into resolving my problems so I can actually begin playing the darn thing.
Issue #1. Upon machine start up, the Champagne Kicker blows the F5 5amp sloblow fuse on the PPB. I repinned the connector that is associated with the black wire going to it(according to schematics). Still no luck. The 50v yellow wire has not been touched at all, yet. If I leave both wires disconnected from the coil, no blown fuse. The coil is new. PPB is new, aftermarket. Running a Rottendog MPU, XPIN Power board.
Issue #2. My flippers machine gun and don't hold when you keep flipper buttons held in, neither of them. So I'm guessing the 50v sent to flippes are fine... Maybe 9v to hold them in place not fine? They both have been completely rebuilt, and EOS are making contact appropriately.
Issue 3. Laser kick, when activated, kicks ball back into play field, but then, seconds later, Hef yells I'm off the grass and the game "tilts".
Issue 5. Scoreboard displays 1 and 2, upper two don't display properly..... Pretty much zeros all the time.
Issue 6. Sound board woes. A whole lot of buzzing, many sounds work, others that should be there are low, almost non- existant, and music is non-existant, too. You can hear it faintly but it's all scratchy.

Issues 3 and 5 are solved.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Issue 1: I presume the champagne kicker is immediately firing upon power up. If that is the case check Q4 on the ppb for a short.
Issue 2: You are correct, sounds like you're not getting the low power voltage. There should be a schematic of the solenoid power in the manual.
Issue 4: Go into switch test and see if the switches are working. Check for bad bulbs.
Issue 6: Clean and reseat all connectors to the board (both ends). Reseat any socketed chips on the board. Make sure the board is properly grounded (all of the mounting screws installed and tightened).

So, starting with the sound board first - I actually bought all new sound roms, and all new roms for the removable ones on the board, replaced them all and still got the nasty loud hum. So, after making this post for help, and listening to your reply, I went and grabbed another sound board that I have as a backup(that one was just as bad, if not worse), and moved all the new roms, including the sound and music roms over to it. Fired it up, and there is little, to no hum, sounds are loud and clear, but still no music at all. I even tried another music rom(2 are for the sounds, 1 is for the music...I have two sets of each, both new) and still no luck on the music end....so it's getting better, I just have to hum the tunes while I play!! lol

Do you think that the board needs more power to actually play the music, but not as much to make the sounds? Also, the arcade sounds seem to be missing when the ball hits the pop bumpers...I have yet to hear those on either sound board.

The 9 volts for the flippers are attached to a grey/green wire that goes directly to the power board. I don't know the easiest way to check it, but I do have a DMM, and used it to check the voltages on the check points that are on the power board itself and they seem to be in check. Maybe I need to rebuild that entire plug that the 9 volt wire is built into?

How do I check the Q4 for a short with the DMM? Still new to using it and not sure what reading I'm looking for. I know it acts as a switch and I think the outer legs need to be the same reading, otherwise if one is different, that means one side is closed??

And last but not least, Doing the switch test I have found that some of the flashers on that one plug, J9, don't work so I will work on the bulbs to see if it is indeed a bulb issue....thats the good news.....the bad news is that I have found out, while doing that test that my Right return switch - the ball runs over it on its way to the flipper - is reading as the Right coin, instead(ugh), and the Right outlane switch - right ball drain - is reading as the credit button!! ....so, now I understand why everytime it was draining out that lane the game would end abruptly. Now what?!? On the handy dandy switch matrix, each pair seem to be in the same row so that makes things interesting....

I might lose what hair I have left by the time I actually get this running 100%....time to go crack a beer and look at schematics. And that is where I am at so far.

1 month later
#7 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

What were the fixes?
Any other issues fixed so far?

First off, thank you for the help, PinballManiac40. I know posting in the Data East club wasn't the best thing to do, but I was getting desperate. With that said, on to update to where I am.

Music issue: After taking close to a month off - I decided to take the advice to check my voltages on the sound board, first. They check out fine, 12 volts at the 12 volt spot and 5 volts at the 5 volt spot...but still no sound...? I checked the voltages on the Xpin power board and they all check out fine, as well. So, I'm still stuck with no music and no sound effects when the ball hits the pop bumpers, but all other sound effects seem to play fine. No music at the end of a game, either.

Faulty Switches: There is good news, however. After doing another switch test, I found out that my left coin door switch was the culprit in 3 of rollover switches having issues, so that is solved!!

Flipper Voltage: I tried testing the voltage at the grey/green wire before it goes to the flippers and it jumps all over the place with no accurate reading, at all. I thought maybe do voltage test at the PPB and see what that is showing - this might be the issue...maybe? Readings are as follows: 50 volt checks out at 73 volts and the 28 volt checks out at 41 volts. Good or bad? I don't know. The PPB is new, as are all the boards, sans the sound board.

Spinner Lights 1 and 3: To be continued......

Champagne Kicker: No luck here, still clueless. Replaced the transistor at Q4 with a new one, wired up the kicker, still blows the F5 fuse. Missing something, not sure what but as long as I don't hook up that kicker the rest of the game plays fine....and yes, it blows upon power up of the game, sorry for not clarifying that.

So there it is.....I'm getting a little closer....baby steps.

#8 7 years ago

So, after I played a few games I can faintly hear the music but it is super low, so it is there...just not at the level of the sounds. ?????

#9 7 years ago

...played a few more, now no more music. Can someone send me a detailed pic of the sound board, more importantly the wires on connector CN3(the one next to the lower amplifier). My wiring doesn't look like the one in the schematic...have extra black cord going through two sections on it. Thank you.

#10 7 years ago

What were the fixes?
Any other issues fixed so far?

Issue 3 had to do with the switch saying it was the tilt instead of the left outlane

Issue 5 ....I had the ribbon cable on backwards.

#12 7 years ago

Yeah, going to do some more voltage checks on the wires going to the champagne launcher and compare it to the other coils in the group. I'm not sure whether the power line goes to the banded side of the coil. My coil is new as I rebuilt that too.

Still clueless on the sound board....beginning to wonder if the volume control down in the box has a play in it? That's why I need to see someone else's cn3 plug to compare wires. That might be my issue.

Have to do more tests on the 9 volt line going to the flips too.

3 major issues.....ugh.

#13 7 years ago

Bump

#16 7 years ago

Why all these new boards? Who made the PPB board?

I purchased this machine with no boards, cheap, so I had to start from ground zero, so I figured I would get newer boards instead of older boards.

#17 7 years ago

Why all these new boards? Who made the PPB board?

Gulf Pinball

Sight_2017_03_16_222300_543 (resized).jpgSight_2017_03_16_222300_543 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#20 6 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

SOLVED - - So, after a long hiatus from the basement arcade(and my wife leaving town for a few days), I decided I would tackle the champagne kicker once again - replaced the transistor at Q4, after testing it and getting no vitals. Checked the diode on the coil and that was shot, as well - which was causing the problem all along. Once, I figured out I was installing the black and yellow wires backwards, I replaced that diode, as well. Fired the machine up and BAM!! That is working and no blown fuse at F5.

This is STILL haunting me. I checked my 9 volts thinking it was that, or a lack of, and it just isn't the case. I think someone with this machine is going to have to inspect my pics attached and see if they can find the problem...I'm just clueless at this point. Both flippers do the same thing -it's got to be something stupid I am missing. Help?!?

Replaced this whole unit with another thinking it might be the little green board(3 lights on it), but still no lights at 1 and 3.

And this is still a nightmare...I can hear the missing music and sounds but very faintly in the background, so they are there....just not coming through.

Thoughts or comments as to which direction I go next?

file (resized).jpegfile (resized).jpeg

file1 - Copy (2) (resized).jpegfile1 - Copy (2) (resized).jpeg

file1 (resized).jpegfile1 (resized).jpeg

file-1 (resized).jpegfile-1 (resized).jpeg

file-2 (resized).jpegfile-2 (resized).jpeg

#21 6 years ago

So, quick update on my flipper dilemma...after deep thought some more on the paths of 9volts to my flippers, I decided to pull the fuse that lies just before the line splits to both flippers. After examining I found a crack in the glass casing and decided to go get a 2.00 fuse and pop it in and what do you know... They now work perfect!! After over thinking the whole process and racking my brain over this I can now play the game....just with no music. Ugh. That is going to be the real challenge.

IMG_0111 (resized).JPGIMG_0111 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

Update...Solved all my issues, except for the music not playing....it's there(faintly), but not there there. But, now I have another situation that is acting up.

When I hold down the right flipper button and the ball hits the upper right pop bumper, it triggers the VUK to activate(no ball in the VUK), which causes the game to shoot out another ball into the launch ball area, thinking there was a ball launched from the VUK into the grotto holding area, so while the one ball is in play, there is another ball waiting to be shot into the playfield. It's back to the drawing board again...maybe someone might have had a issue similar?

1 month later
#24 6 years ago

So an update. I'm in the process of replacing speakers with pinball pro set to see if that solves my sound issue.

The other problem, pop bumper causing VUK to prematurely fire - not solved. I put piece of electrical tape between contacts on VUK and it still does this so I'm wondering if it is something with the logic board at this point?

I replaced the diode on the VUK coil... Still no fix.

Any ideas?

2 weeks later
#25 6 years ago

VUK issue still not resolved...ugh...

Music issue - still have ringing in the left speaker that gets louder and softer depending volume turned louder or softer. I installed an external Power supply to try that and still no luck. Installed new PinballPro speakers....still no luck. Something simple that I am missing and just cannot come up with a solution. The only thing I have not replaced that is left is the connector coming from the black power box down in the cabinet and the speaker connector. Anyone have any clue why I have ringing in the left speaker and faintly sounding music in the background?

1 year later
#27 4 years ago

Just checking on your progress.

Thank you for checking in. I resolved all the issues I was having and the game plays great now. Not much love for the machine in the pinhead community but I enjoy it. Thanks again!!

#29 4 years ago

Can you report the last repaired issues so it can help others?

Sound issue -solved- Found another sound board for sale, switched it out and sounds work great. Obviously that sound board wasn't working like it was supposed to be.

VUK issue- solved- after looking at another flipper wiring diagram, I pulled the hood on my Gorgar and looked at how the flippers were wired.... it dawned on me that I had a wire from each flipper on the incorrect lug. I resoldered those wires, and it fixed the issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalkatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-playboy-35th-issues?tu=metalkatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.