You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00881_(resized).JPG
2016-02-28_19.54.20_(resized).jpg
2016-02-28_19.54.23_(resized).jpg
2016-02-28_19.54.27_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhantomP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Dear Pinside,

I recently viewed a prospective purchase (Data East Playboy 35th Anniversary).

I was interested in this pin until seeing the terrible condition of the mylar (bubbling and swirl marks). I have seen fine examples of this pin without mylar.

I have read many recommendations against removing mylar. However, since the mylar is in such poor condition it is either necessary or I will have to pass on this pin.

I walked from the deal but since I was interested in getting second opinions.

Lower Center PlayfieldLower Center Playfield

Right Middle Playfield Photo ShootRight Middle Playfield Photo Shoot

Left Middle Playfield P L A Y B O Y TargetsLeft Middle Playfield P L A Y B O Y Targets

I have heard of the freeze method, the heat method and the chemical method for removing mylar. I am aware that this is not an easy process and that adhesive residue can be left over and playfield paint can be lifted when removing mylar.

Now, if I was able to get the game for the right price (I consider the as is condition as well as the risk associated with mylar removal to severely devalue this specific pin) I might consider this as an experiment.

Walk away or attempt mylar removal?

Thank you for your input.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks all for the quick responses.

maddog14, MarAlb, Patofnaud any of you have any playfield photos post-mylar to put my mind at ease?

Patofnaud mentioned "ZERO paint/insert lift". maddog14 and MarAlb were there any particular trouble spots where paint lift or inserts were damaged that you could draw my attention to?

Take care all.

#9 8 years ago

Thanks Patofnaud for the follow-up. I do appreciate the feedback and the pre-removal photo.

Quoted from Patofnaud:

Sorry, I only have Pre pics. I traded the machine to PWA and did the removal in the backroom prior to Sarah taking possession.

With the Mylar off it was a NICE machine.

Thanks Luzur for your comments on success with mylar removal on another pin.

Quoted from Luzur:

Well i lifted the mylar on my GL with heat, worked like a charm and like very, very minimal paint lift.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhantomP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-playboy-35th-bubbled-swirl-marked-mylar-removal?tu=PhantomP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.