EAA577F9-9142-4BB9-90CF-B45801F3A6B1 (resized).jpeg
E0038F57-DF8F-45C4-BA14-2A1FF4D9C100 (resized).jpeg
7E5C160D-5630-4196-A5ED-C2C3DE320B64 (resized).jpeg
F53FFE28-BB17-46A4-9F88-A3F6D9998219 (resized).jpeg
20210130_150054 (resized).jpg
20210130_150130 (resized).jpg
0d995aef967944b6cfc848df136ed7a012a7a8a3 (resized).jpg
right side (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 4 years ago

I'm in need of a new lock down bar for my Playboy 35th. Anyone have one for sale or know where I can order one? So far I've only found the black Data East lock down bars, like the one I have on my Monday Night Football.

Are there any other bars that are compatible with this machine that I could use instead?

Thanks in advance!

#39 4 years ago

After having a Playboy 35th project sitting in the shop for about 6 years now, I'm finally getting around to doing it. It's mostly a "find that part" game to get it all put back together. I've gone through the game pretty good this evening and have a few things I'd like to have confirmed and a couple questions if anyone's willing to help out with that. I just picked up an MPU today with no acid damage and have a new ppb, power supply, and display on the way as well, since all those are missing. Awesome! So, here we go:

I couldn't find either of these answers in the manual/schematics that I downloaded from ipdb:

2 fuses by the bridge rectifiers in the back box, what are their values? mine are missing
5 fuses on the right inside of the back box, what are their values? are these GI fuses? mine are missing

There were also no lights in the back box. I see 89's in the schematic so I assume those are the correct flashers for the back box panel.

906 flashers are under the playfield and 555's elsewhere.

I couldn't find a part number for the playfield glass trim at the back (top). This should work correct? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8091
The one in the game has the top part broken off.

The mounts for the display are missing and I don't see any part numbers or reference to them in the manual. Any information on what should be there? Bolts? Plastic stand offs?

I think that's it for now, I had most of the little parts on hand already.

#41 4 years ago

Thanks for the info on the display standoffs. I see them listed on Marco and come in sizes ranging from 1/4" long to 7/8" long. Any chance you can measure these so I can get the correct ones? According to Marco, they should be secured with a #6 self tapping screw from the back side as well.

I've also been told the correct fuses for the 2 fuse holders by the bridge rectifiers are 8 amp slow blow, and the 5 bank of fuse holders mounted on the right inside of the back box is a retrofit kit that was used to fuse the pop bumper and slingshot coils. Those 5 should all be 2.5 amp slow blow fuses. There is also a service bulletin that I didn't have in the downloaded manual that shows these added to the game. Good to know!

What's with the speaker panels? Did they come from the factory with both gold and black versions? I see lots of photos online with gold and lots with black. Mine happens to be black.

#42 4 years ago

Here's a little update on the Playboy 35th:

So, it looks like the display is mounted on blind hole standoffs. I checked out my Monday Night Football and they look to be the same. Found them on Marco to order as well.

For everyone's reference, I've also attached a photo of the 2 fuse holders that should be 8 amp slow blow by the bridge rectifiers (photo 1), and the 5 fuse block retrofit kit on the right inside of the back box that should all be 2.5 amp slow blow (photo 2).

There is a Europe tag on one of the wire harnesses, and it looks like there are some plug ins for a 220 power cord in here as well (photo 3), so I'll have to check and make sure the transformer is wired correct. That information is on page 28 of the manual. Currently, there is nothing in the cabinet that would go into those large round white plugs, and the power cord that would normally go out the back of the cabinet has been cut off inside the cabinet just before it would exit. New power cord is on hand.

This game has a pair of wires coming off of the speaker in the lower cabinet and one of them has a 3.9uf/50v capacitor soldered on to it (photo 4). Does anyone have any idea what that is about? First time I've seen anything like that. I'm going to remove them and hook up the speaker wires there as they should be though.

The playfield glass back trim piece that I mentioned from Marco should work as well after measuring and confirming shaping.

Getting down to it...... thanks for everyone's help thus far!

BR fuses (resized).JPGBR fuses (resized).JPGSide Wall Fuses (resized).JPGSide Wall Fuses (resized).JPG220 power (resized).JPG220 power (resized).JPGSpeaker Cap (resized).JPGSpeaker Cap (resized).JPG
#43 4 years ago

Also, someone requested Playboy 35th slingshot photos. The first 3 photos are of my left slingshot, which is complete EXCEPT for the diode that is shown in the 4th photo. Keep in mind though that the 4th photo is of my right slighshot, which is NOT complete, but only there to show the positioning of the switch diode that is missing from the left slingshot. Hope that's not too confusing, but all the connection points are there. Both sides should be connected in the same manner.

IMG_1420 (resized).JPGIMG_1420 (resized).JPGIMG_1421 (resized).JPGIMG_1421 (resized).JPGIMG_1422 (resized).JPGIMG_1422 (resized).JPGIMG_1423 (resized).JPGIMG_1423 (resized).JPG
8 months later
#45 3 years ago

Looking for some confirmation on what goes behind the "pinball" lights that light up between the back box speakers. I think it's just a light board like the others with the twist in sockets, but some photos of how that is all set up would be great.

If anyone has those parts as well, I'd be interested!

Also looking for a nonbroken speaker panel.

Thanks!

#46 3 years ago

Hey guys!

Chris at pinballreplacement parts is willing to take on the project of creating a new board for the lamps that go behind the "pinball" plastic between the speakers in the back box on Playboy 35th and I need some good photos and more information for him to get started on this.

I just heard back from Chris today and he's willing to give this project a go.

If anyone here is willing to take photos of the board showing how it is mounted, and a good photo of each side of the board that would be AWESOME! Let's get this project rolling for all

It would also be super helpful to have dimensions between any mounting holes/brackets and the exact spacing between the lights and location of them on the board itself.

I don't think this board would have diodes on it, but that is another question that will need to be answered as well.

If you can help out with information please PM me and we can get this thing rolling!

Thanks!

1 week later
#51 3 years ago

Almost done with this Playboy 35th project game. So much work has been done finding missing parts, rebuilt flippers, cleaned and adjusted switches and connectors, new lights, new rubbers, new balls, new power supply, new ppb board, new display, new game roms, reflowed solder on all old board connectors and lamp boards under playfield, converted from Europe to US power, added nvram, and more.... down to a couple things left.

-missing lamp board for "pinball" lights between back box speakers (board being made for this to be tested in a few weeks)

-8 amp fuse blows for solonoid bridge rectifier in back box after about 10 games are played (probablby time for the upgrade inkognito board on that one)

-terrible sounds: the game plays "playboy" voice at power up correctly but nothing else is correct after that. Everything else is static noises after that in game and in sound test when sounds/voice should be played. I swapped board with my Monday Night Football and issue follows playboy roms, so new sound roms are on the way

The only issue I don't think I have figured out already is the 3 stand up target bank in the middle of the play field. With a hard direct hit, those 3 targets will almost never register a hit. If it's a soft hit with the ball, or just pushing it with my fingers it will register every time. I've gone through switch test mode and they all test good with a hand touch or light ball hit, but they still almost never register a hard hit.

All the switches have been cleaned with rubbing alcohol/q-tip, adjusted for proper spacing and make great wiping motion contact, all diodes are present and I'm pretty sure there isn't supposed to be a capacitor or resistor on those stand ups since there aren't on any of the other stand ups in the game. I know in older games the caps can go bad on stand up switches for the "delay" for a hard fast hit so the game still recognizes the hit, but I don't think this one should have those.

Any suggestions on getting those 3 stand up targets to register ALL hits soft AND hard? I would think if one of those diodes was bad there would be a row/column issue going on, but all other switches work great in game and test mode.

#52 3 years ago

Almost have this Playboy 35th completed. Progress today:

- the sound issue turned out to be that the ribbon cable from the cpu to the sound board had one end connected backwards. Whops! Good thing there is no voltage going through that cable Now the sounds are working perfect. Just gotta double check those ribbon cable connectors with no key.

-fuse blowing issue fixed. I'm pretty sure that the 8 Amp fuse by the bridge rectifier for the solenoid power is supposed to be 8 amp 250volt. I just had a look at the first one that was in there that blew (8 amp 32 v), and the 2nd one that was in there (8 amp 125 volt). Installed an 8 amp 250 volt and there hasn't been a problem since.

Down to 2 remaining issues:

- missing lamp board (in the works already)

- replacing 3 bank of stand up target switches to see if new ones resolve the issue of no hit registering for a direct hit

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-playboy-35th-anniversary-pop-the-cork%e2%98%85%c2%b7%c2%b7%c2%b4%c2%af%c2%b7%c2%b7%e2%98%85?tu=pin-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.