Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

002 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hello friends. I have a 35th Anniversary Data East pinball machine. I just installed a new CPU board from Rotten Dog and had the PPB and power boards rebuilt by Coin Op Cauldron. The game seems to work fine however there are 3 issues that I need to tend to. First off the Player 4 display is completely dead. All the others work fine. Is there something on the board that can cause this other than the display itself?
Second problem is on the PPB board. Resistors R12 and R13 are extremely hot to the touch. They are new replacements and I was told these are part of the flash lamp circuits for the Right ramp and the Mansion lighting. Would defective or improper bulbs cause this problem?
Lastly when you first turn on the game it is saying bad switch and bad coil. The testing procedure on this game is a little strange so I'm trying to figure out which switch and coil is bad. All of the coils move freely when I manually move them so I know none are stuck..
Any help with any of thee problems would be greatly appreciated. I just purchased it and am trying to get it to 100% again. Physically it's in fantastic shape. Many thanks for any help.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from StotzBotz:

.... First off the Player 4 display is completely dead. All the others work fine...

The way the displays are driven, this really has to be the display itself if it's only this display not working

...Second problem is on the PPB board. Resistors R12 and R13 are extremely hot to the touch...

Is pretty normal for these resistors to get hot, that's their purpose.

...Lastly when you first turn on the game it is saying bad switch and bad coil...

You're likely seeing the start up message letting you know if there's switch and coil errors the CPU knows about. It's standard messages for each and is followed by "NONE" after each. This indicates there are no bad switches and no bad coils.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for helping me. There is no "None" being displayed after it says "Bad Switch" then "Bad Coil". Not sure if the new cpu board is not programmed to say that or if the original cpu would have just said that. Also I'm noticing that there are 3 very bright large bulbs that are burning. 2 at the top left and one at the top right. Very hot to the touch and being that they are number 89 bulbs I thought they might not be right for the place they are installed. I thought that these were used for flash apps only but maybe I'm wrong. They just seem very hot to be behind the translite.

#4 7 years ago

Your bad #4 display would show the "NONE" if it worked.

If you've got flashers (#89 bulbs) locking on, that's likely why your resistors are so hot. Remove the bulbs until you can figure out why they're locked on.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#5 7 years ago

Thanks. That's what I did but if I have a new cpu and rebuilt power and ppb boards I don't see how there is anything left to check. The 3 flasher bulbs staying on are the 2 at the top left corner and the one at the top right. Is there anything else I should look for or was there maybe something over looked on one of the repaired boards? After taking those bulbs out and running the game the resistors are staying nice and cool. That's definitely the problem area. By the way I would like to send you $20.00 through Paypal for being so kind to help me with my problems. Appreciate it very much. Just let me know what paypal email you use. Many thanks.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from StotzBotz:

... By the way I would like to send you $20.00 through Paypal for being so kind to help me with my problems. Appreciate it very much. Just let me know what paypal email you use. Many thanks.

Greatly appreciate the offer, but most certainly not necessary.

PinSide, like RGP before it, is all about pinball folks helping pinball folks. I'm more than happy to help when I can.

Now if your game still has batteries in it, you can help yourself, your game, and me, all at the same time by grabbing one of my anyPin DMD+ NVRAM Battery Eliminators for it...

www.LockWhenLit.com/anyPin.htm

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#7 7 years ago

I purchased a new rottendog cpu which has the battery eliminator circuit built it. Anything else you sell? Wouldn't the fact that these flash bulbs are staying on indicate that there is an obvious transistor on either the cpu or ppb board that's defective? The ppb board was rebuilt and of course the cpu is new. There are no diodes across the sockets of the flash lamps in question. For now I just leave them out but it would nice to have everything at 100%. Data East made terrible schematics so it's hard for me to tell which transistor is at fault. I will try and trace back to the boards with my meter. I have a new display board on the way so hope to have it figured out by then.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from StotzBotz:

... Wouldn't the fact that these flash bulbs are staying on indicate that there is an obvious transistor on either the cpu or ppb board that's defective? The ppb board was rebuilt and of course the cpu is new. There are no diodes across the sockets of the flash lamps in question. For now I just leave them out but it would nice to have everything at 100%. Data East made terrible schematics so it's hard for me to tell which transistor is at fault. I will try and trace back to the boards with my meter. I have a new display board on the way so hope to have it figured out by then.

We need to figure out which lamps exactly these are. Can you post a photo off them very clearly showing the bulbs in question?

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#9 7 years ago

Here is an image of the back board with the flashers circled that are steadily burning.

002 (resized).jpg002 (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

OK, so those are all driven by one transistor, Q25 on the CPU. Remove CN12 from the bottom left of the CPU and see if they still lock on.

If they do, then you're not dealing with a CPU issue. Though whatever has them locked on could have possibly taken out the driver too at this point.

If they don't, then the driver on the CPU is likely shorted.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

3 years later
#11 3 years ago

thanks rob, just saved me a headache!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-playboy-35th-ann-3-issues-after-new-cpu-ppb-power-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.