• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 977 votes by 935 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#764 6 years ago

Speaking of harnesses, I found this interesting. Just picked up a Secret Service, which is the second game after Laser War. All the sub-harnesses, such as the ones that go to the speaker panel and topper, have stamped tags for Secret Service, the main harness stamp tag read Laser War. Of course, that can be expected when harnesses are passed from one game to the next when the existing harness meets the current design requirements.

3 weeks later
#785 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Can anyone share a pic of what the sticker on the backbox, from early DE games would have looked like? The one on my Torpedo Alley is quite faded.

This help?

IMG_20170726_182510 (resized).jpgIMG_20170726_182510 (resized).jpg

4 months later
#854 6 years ago

A little less drinking the next time you take a pic, lol I was trying to see the art on the wall.

1 month later
#886 6 years ago

maverick-pinball (resized).jpgmaverick-pinball (resized).jpg

#889 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Last pinball produced by Data East...Production of this game was continued under Sega Pinball, Inc.

From what I heard, this is why you won't find the brand name anywhere on the cabinet or translite. Mine has the Sega credit displayed on the DMD, while having the DE on the poker chip stack plunger handle

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#898 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Here is my list of data east games. Blue crosses are games I have, red are games that I don't want. The open spaces are games I'd consider if a nice example showed up around here. What does everyone think, do i have the good portion of games already or should I give some of the red x games another chance?

Did you just forget to include Maverick on your chart? Thick with drop targets, plenty to shoot for, lots of great flow and a challenging rule set - the best of any DE games.

I also see you red x'd Secret Service. Why? It's probably thinner on rules than most - but is a great game from that time period with a 2 and 2 ball multiball and almost identical layout to High Speed. Set up right it's a super fast game that leaves me exhausted after a good game. You just have to like 80s cheezyness and spy movies like I do.

7 months later
#1098 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Sound board question:
I took out my board on my Star Wars after I bought a Pinsound board. Now my Batman is giving me trouble (sound cutting in and out, crackling, etc). Can I put old board from my Star Wars in my Batman?

No, the sound boards are not upwards or downwards compatable.

1 month later
#1115 5 years ago
Quoted from DocFinlay:

Did you ever resolve this? I have a DE Playboy, replaced the sound rom chips, but I only get barely audible distorted voice and no music and lots of loud humming. Anyone have some help for a newbie? thx

Check and verify clean power....both DC levels and AC ripple. Any questionable out of spec power should be investigated.
Try reseating, checking continuity, or better yet - replacement - of the ribbon cable between the MPU and sound board.
Check all sockets, make sure no damage, contamination...replace any questionable sockets. Should be clean and shiny sockets as well as the pins on the ICs.
If none of the above, you'll probably need an oscilloscope and advanced audio troubleshooting techniques or enlist the help of a professional.

1 week later
#1117 5 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Hey gang. New pin owner. Didn't read all 23 pages but many. Having a Star Wars Power issue. Replaced the power board and have now discovered it's and issue at the fuse down in the volume control box. It's finicky and had to be twisted in just right for the machine to power on. It has since gotten extremely worse. The bottom of the fuse holder will literally catch on fire if turned on. Holy he'll. What do I do?

Repair it immediately! That game is unsafe. Nobody needs a fire. At minimum you are going to need a new fuse holder and mains power cable, probably replace the power switch and line filter as well. If you can't or don't want to, please enlist professional assistance.

1 month later
#1130 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Guys: working on a jp.
Pinwiki and manual has the PPB board fuse F6 as a 5A. But clays guide lists it as a 3A.
Also fuse for F9 as well as pinwiki and clay says 5A but but manual says 4A.
Can anyone confirm correct fuses?
Also a source for the correct fuse clips
Thanks!

Note that Clays guides say fuses specified are for *most* games, and to refer to your manual for exact fuse recommendations. There are many faces in this series, some have different board revisions and. game features.

#1136 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I hear ya. So you think just follow manual over pinwiki or clay?
Just concerned bc I picked up this gorgeous jp that worked fine at sellers location. All I did was fold head and load into truck. Got home and fuses started blowing.

Make certain the fuses are actually s!ow blow (time delay) fuses. Make sure that no instantaneous coils are struck on. This could be a simple case of things getting jostled in transportation.

4 weeks later
#1151 5 years ago

Without looking for a manual, since I only have a second.... If you look at your switch matrix table in the manual and find a switch labeled as lane change, then yes.

1 month later
#1174 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

But this guide doesnt apply to the Data East. It seems that each speaker has its own amplifier. So my questions:
1. Do I need a crossover on the woofer?
2. Do i need an LPAD, if so how should i hook it up? (This is my main Question)

The design of the game doesn't split frequencies like you are thinking. This is why the cabinet speaker is a midrange speaker and not a woofer. The cabinet just enhances the low frequencies. There is no reason to put a crossover on the cabinet speaker because there is nothing to crossover to, unless you add another higher frequency mid or tweeter to the cab. You don't need an LPAD, unless you want that kind of control - but that would only allow you to lower the volume of the cab speaker. If you wanted to make the cab speaker louder than the backbox speakers, you could use a stereo LPAD for the backbox speakers. If I was just replacing the cab speaker with a woofer, I wouldn't use an LPAD or a crossover, I'd use a low pass filter so that only the low frequencies are passed to the woofer.

lpass12db (resized).pnglpass12db (resized).png
#1180 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

I guess i dont understand this as much as i thought i did. I purchased a 80 mhz crossover:
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-80-hz-low-pass-8-ohm-crossover--266-442
I thought this would filter everything over 80 mhz out and send it to the woofer, how is this different than a low pass filter?
My thought was the LPAD would be used to control the volume on the mid and tweeters so that you could turn the general volume all the way to drive the woofer but use the lpad to decrease the volume to mids and tweets.
What am i missing?
Thank you very much for replying, no one else has really chimed in on this!

80*hz* not mhz - just for clarity. The part you linked to is just a low pass filter, the description is misconstrued. The picture shows a part with just a coil and capacitor....that is a low pass filter, just like the schematic diagram in my last post. A true crossover will have additional components for additional tailoring of frequencies to different speakers that reproduce specific ranges of frequencies.

The game speakers (at least the common and earlier solid state games) get the same full range of frequencies fed to full range speakers. No fancy high fidelity, no fancy distinctions between frequency reproduction. A small pair of full range speakers in the backbox, and a slightly larger full range speaker in the cabinet - to give it a little backbone. This doesn't mean you can't attempt to improve on it by dividing up the source into different frequency reproduction and feed to tweeters, woofers etc... I just wanted to let you know what you are working with.

Quoted from cabuford:

I responded on the other thread you created about this specific topic.
....but I created an awesome sound package for it from high quality source material.

All good points.

2 months later
#1202 4 years ago
Quoted from Brett-L:

but the coil operating the laser kick starts smoking. I decide to test it again for resistance and get a normal reading of 4-6 ohms. ?? The diode has a black burn mark on it. I don’t know if this is positive progress or not but at least the fuses didn’t blow with the flipper board disconnected. [quoted image]

The resistance of the coil is normal because it hasn't fried - yet. If it is smoking it is probably because the current is continuous instead of momentary. You might have a bad sleeve due to the heat, so replace that and check for free movement. Suspect a shorted driver transistor or something upstream is probably holding it on. Replace the diode if it is at all questionable (inexpensive) making sure the orientation is correct.

Quoted from MarAlb:

The wiring is reversed…..the violet/yellow wire should be where the banded sided of the diode is. Replace the diode....the TIP36 transistor might have died too...

Wondering how that got reversed? A backwards diode directly shorts the solenoid power. That should kill the fuse and none of your solenoids using the power from that branch would not work

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.50
3,900 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 259.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.