• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skippy2904.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2698 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Again, are there burnt pins on CN1 (3x4) wired connector? Easy to tell with the housing having been discolored.
Pictures of your borads are helpful too.
Measuring the 5v and +12v on the power supply are needed at this time too.

Pin 12 on CN1 is a candidate for being burnt. Clean all the pins and if you cannot get a replacement socket, tighten the female pins in the socket so they grip the pins better to reduce heat build up.

Just had the same thing on a Jurassic Park

Skippy2904

1 week later
#2703 1 year ago

Bit of a long shot. I have been posting on the DE JP thread asking for some help with a video problem and am wondering if this might be a more general Data East problem.

I have 2 scenarios that lead to the same symptom. The symptom is that the video in the top 3/4 of the screen gets frozen.

The first scenario is after playing a ball or two, the trex in the skill shot stops moving across the screen and the video clips for modes or going into the control room stop showing as the display may be stuck on the current score or whatever.

To narrow things down, the second scenario is to turn the game on from cold (ie left for several hours), start a game which plays through the game start video and then the skill shot comes up. To start with, the trex moves backwards and forwards across the screen. After a random period of time, the trex just stops.

What has been done:
- rebuilt the power supply board with new caps (c1, c2, c3, c4 x 4, c7), bridge rectifier, VR1 and the 2 caps near it,
- cleaned up CN1 as pin 12 was a little burnt
- reflowed all the pins on the power board
- had the power board, mpu, dmd board and dmd screen checked by a board repair chap who had them running on a test rig. All he found was the mpu rom was corrupt, so burnt a new one
- replaced the dmd board power supply molex and reflowed the pins on the board
- ribbon cables were checked as being ok
- removed CN4 on the mpu (18v supply to the control lamps) to see if reducing the power demand stopped the symptom. It did not, even after replacing VR1 on the power board, the video freezes with this CN4 connector removed
- visually checked all the diodes on the playfield. All are connected, none look damaged.

Latest thoughts are that there is a loose wire or a dry solder joint on a pin connector. Where to start.

With the game video frozen, I have tried removing the dmd power supply and refitting. This did nothing. Removing the small ribbon cable and replacing, you can sometimes see that the video has refreshed, but is still frozen at a different place, ie the trex has moved.

Has anybody experienced a similar issue on a Data East game? Does not have to be JP. My thought is that with the same board sets being used, this issue is probably not game specific. Just a hunch.

Thanks in advance
Skippy2904

4 months later
#2753 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Thanks,
So to you it appears to be a glitchy 5V circuit?
CN1 looks good.
And since you've put the fear in me........
I'm off to my local electronics store for new caps (yes, those stores still exist some places). The existing caps don't appear to have leaks, but they are almost 30 years old.

You often do not see the leak until you remove the original cap. Had the same thing with a JP recently. In addition to changing the 4 caps mentioned previously, check the fuse holders as they can break / crack. May be check the bridge rectifier too.

Have a look thru the DE JP thread as there has been lots of discussion on there.

Good luck

Skippy2904

Edit see you already did post on the other thread!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skippy2904.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=skippy2904 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.