• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 977 votes by 935 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schusler.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#323 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Doing what I can.

Chad, do you have any other Data East pins in your future queue? Ahem, Batman or Phantom?

3 years later
#1217 4 years ago

I'm curious...did Data East ever have a parts guide ala Bally, Gottlieb and Williams?

Helping a buddy on a pin trying to decipher where some hardware goes (posts,screws) and replacing some completely missing. Manual is rendered useless for the pedantic items.

#1219 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Not really... They did give new parts information to the current pinball they were putting out...
Butt, you would have to have the current game manual to get the new part #s etc, etc, etc.
They were getting better at parts listing towards the end of the line before Sega bought them out.
Sega would do a complete overhaul of the parts listing in much better detail.
As for Data East games...
I would take a copy of the playfield layout and start marking where the post go, the size, the color, etc.

Ugh, I was 'fraid of that, thanks Vector.

I'm helping a buddy on his Star Wars, trying to decipher what went here and there. Problem is missing screws,wrong screw sizes and the probably one of the harder to find items - missing standup posts for plastics.

Guess the only action is to contact owners for info and work from the beginning.

4 months later
#1416 4 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Just picked up a sweet complete Batman playfield.
This was described as having bad art and only good for parts. Expected it to be completely blown out but it has factory mylar!
DATA BEAST!
[quoted image]

I've been on the lookout for a restorable candidate for my Batman for a while. How did this slip through my grubby paws?

#1431 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I have a Data East Batman , does anyone
Make anything for this game ?
Nos parts ? I need help with this Thanks

Plastic sets are out there. I *believe* Mad Amusements did the ramps at one time - there was an issue of people not getting their items.

Decent playfields are next to impossible. CPR is looking for a good donor - not sure if anyone stepped up to the plate on that one.

#1432 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Batman Owner’s ???
Did this game come with a Shaker ?
On the left side of cabinet there’s 4 holes
About the size of a shaker, three plugs going to nothing ?
Never seen a Shaker mounted on the side ?
Thanks

No shaker...

#1433 4 years ago

Having a snafu issue with my D.E. Batman.

In the backbox, Any GI that is lower than Batman's cowl on the backglass is out. Do I have a broken ground trace somewhere there?

#1435 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Check the pins/connectors on the PPS board, DE notorious for GI problems there.

Will do...

Any owners have a Pinscore power supply installed their machine? Specifically the early dmd era of pins... Need a certain pic of a questionable area.

#1445 4 years ago

Can someone take a picture of their PPB board around the J5 area with the connector?

Think I might have found the culprit...

#1448 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Check the pins/connectors on the PPS board, DE notorious for GI problems there.

The IDC connector going to J5 on the PPB board is toast. It actually melted part of the connector that goes to pin 1 on J5. Someone hacked the wire to pin 1 and tried to use the otherside of the IDC connector. So I have two wires (upper and lower) on the same pins of the connector Never seen that before...

Pretty sure that's my culprit.

#1460 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: IDC connectors max current is 2.5 amps. It was a bad idea on Data Easts side to use them...
I experimented with other brands that had a higher current rating.
Technically, the PCB should have had "doubled-up" connectors for
the G.I. lighting; like what Williams did on their WPC system.
Even then, it was not a fail safe system.

So switching that J5 connector to molex would help? What's weird is the connector for CN8 still looks good.

I'm not really a fan of leds; I did switch all the GIs on the playfield and backbox to 47s when I first got the pin.

5 months later
#1753 4 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

I really like TFTC and Tommy as well. Nice games! Thanks for the comments on my TMNT. It was my first game, given to my wife and I from her aunt when we didn't really care one way or another about pinball. It was in storage for years and had a lot of problems to be dealt with. After a friend of mine did some serious work to fix and improve a ton of stuff on that game, I was totally hooked and got into improving it some more. Then went on to several other games (for myself and other friends). TMNT is the only Data East game I have so far, but I've sometimes wondered what would be my next pick if I had the funds and if it were available. Tommy and Star Wars would be high on the list. I've never seen or played a Checkpoint yet, but based on theme alone, I'd want one.
I'm sure I'm biased since my TMNT was my first, it was a family given game, and it's had a number of things done to it to make it play to my liking, but I still really like this game. It does seem to get hated on a bit too much, IMO. Rule set isn't real deep but it's just a fun game to play. It's definitely one to go play to mix things up after playing other games.

I have a soft spot for these early Data East pins and their earlier movie-licensed ones as well. I would love to eventually doll my Batman to pristine status.

Turtles to you is what Batman is too me and to agree Star Wars too. I played a ton of these when they were new on route especially Batman, Star Wars and Hook, throw Turtles in their too. Definitely nudging that Gottlieb 80A as my favorite pinball era.

#1754 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

So I picked up a project Batman yesterday I am trying to get going again. It is missing the solid state flipper board. Before I go and order a new one, does anyone have a used flipper board they would be willing to sell?
Also, why on earth are there so many Batman machines with blown out playfields? I swear mine looks like someone took a sander to it. Lucky for me, mine came with a re-printed playfield, but I need to clear coat it. It will be a summer project for me.

As weird as this sounds Data East Batman is my grail pin. I just have a lot of personal history and nostalgia for that title.

It was quote their "stealth" coat, probably a marketing ploy, but nonetheless absolute garbage. Someone told me at one time, that NOS playfields were next to impossible (more on that later) to obtain since operators were demanding new replacement playfields when the incumbent were wearing out. Not sure if true but makes sense. I've been looking for a decent Batman for years (finally got one in the mid 2ks), but have been looking for NOS playfield just as long. Honestly, I'm still looking for a restorable candidate for mine!

GAP had one on Ebay recently... didn't know till it was too late. I know CPR has been on the hunt for one of these for a very long time. Let's face it - demand is there. Hope the new owner, if he's on here, hopefully reaches out to them.

3 weeks later
#1804 3 years ago
Quoted from Link_Standard:

Has there ever been any research into why the stealth coat was so bad (unless by stealth they mean they forgot to put it on wahh ohh). From my extremely limited chemistry expertise and all the pictures I've seen of TMNT and Batman playfields. The hard coat doesn't seem to wear evenly at all but just chip and crack. And when it chips and cracks it takes all the paint underneath with it. It almost seems like maybe a humidity thing combined with the inherent vibration of a pinball machine. Trying to clean and wax the things might have even made it worse. Hard coat cracks, it's then shaken lose by at the vibrations and then you come along and clean it with a rag and end up breaking up the clear coat even more.
That's the only explanation I can see fitting with the completely random and unexplainable wear patterns on so many playfields. Wear spots under the ramps on TMNT. Wear spots in the outlines and above the apron on Batman. They're are so many playfields with bare wood exposed in places where either the ball never even touches, or the ball is moving extremely slow and the player has no real control over it. I'm exaggerating a little of course but thank god they fixed it relatively quickly and only these two games seem to really have a problem(bad batch, improper application, QC issues in general who knows). This is a perfect example of why Williams spent like 4 years testing diamond plate before they finally put it on everything.

All said and done... I think it just was a sales gimmick to lures operators to a sale.

I'm not knowledgeable on Turtles playfield woes, Batman is a different story. Most of the Batmans I've encountered has the common wear spots around the pops and rollover lanes and usually around the area of the Batcave return - mine is definitely hurting in this area. Some I've seen also have playfield wear at the entrance of the Batcave ramp - mine is a slight victim as well.

I still say this has got to be one of the most requested playfields that need to be redone. I really wish I would've nabbed that NOS one on Ebay a while back. Grrrrr!!

1 week later
#1882 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Boy, you should have gotten in contact with TNT amusements.
They might, still have the playfield... I do not know.

Don't think it was TNT but GAP - if you we're talking 'bout the same one.

1 year later
#2370 2 years ago

I reached out to a few pinsiders and awaiting on Ed's response... I have a Data East MPU from a Checkpoint I got awhile back. Never seen one like it, but their are several broken header pins on the CN1 location of the MPU. This is where the ribbon connector goes to the soundboard. I'm not really sure what the previous owner was trying to do here.

Anybody know the style these header pins are? Or do they have the 18 pin housing?

6 months later
#2513 2 years ago

Data East Batman owners... When you first power cycle your game on, He says the line "I'm Batman". Does your game finish the phrase or does it cut out mid sentence like mine is currently doing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.00
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schusler.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=schusler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.