• Yes, I have one. 567 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 974 votes by 932 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2282 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sbmania.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2281 3 years ago

I have a question on a Data East Star Wars I just picked up. The sound works fine, except during game over it continually plays the Star Wars theme music. It never really stops, except possibly for a second or two when a DMD animation takes place. Then back to the constant repeating music. Anybody have any thoughts? Are the sounds triggered by a transistor, in which case maybe I have a transistor shorted on?

#2292 3 years ago

I did that with no effect. Solder pins look good. It turns out my Rottendog power supply shows 12 v at game start but once the game gets going, particularly during multiball, the 12v drops down to 6v and the sound goes wacky! A second power supply from my Star Wars works correctly and does not show the sound problem.

So new question: What would cause the 12v on the Rottendog to drop to 6v under load? The caps appear to test ok. The 7812 voltage regulator bad? Can I substitute an LM 317 in its place?

1 month later
#2336 2 years ago

I am about ready to give up on my Star Trek 25th! I have been experiencing the SAME sound problem ever since I got the game and have exhausted every solution that I could think of! The problem usually occurs on multiball but not always. The sound suddenly goes out and is replaced by static pops, cracks, and heavily distorted sounds. After the ball drains, the sounds come back as normal.

I have had in the game 2 different MPU boards, 2 different sound boards, 2 different power supplies, I have repinned the power board for the 12v wire, and have even replaced all sound roms and main game rom with new chips. It still doesn't freakin' work! I even subbed in a different ribbon cable from a Star Wars to see if that made a difference. It didn't.

There are no obviously broken coil diodes or burned coils. Everything on the game appears to work perfectly except for this intermittent sound problem.

Anybody have any thoughts on where to go from here? This game is INCHES from being stripped and sold for parts.

6 months later
#2478 2 years ago

I absolutely HATE DE pins and Rottendog boards!!! It seems to me that every time I have that combination, there's gonna be trouble. Latest episode:

Finished up a DE Star War. Really nice, full LED's, excellent condition. I noticed that the original DMD took about 10 seconds to come on when the game was first turned on, but it was rock solid after the initial 10 seconds. Had the game for at least 6 months and played it regularly throughout that time with no problems.

Delivered it to a guy's house and the display would not come on at all. WTF?? Checked for loose connections, checked voltages, etc. Only thing I saw was the Rottendog power supply was putting out -150v for both the -100 and -110v test points. Reseated ribbon connectors as well as all ps connectors. At one point got a partial display with lots of background garbage, but that went out and then nothing again.

Took it back home, put a new DMD in it and still nothing. Borrowed a DMD av board and Rottendog ps from a friend and started out by putting in the new Rottendog ps. Game gave out an instant loud hum, several solenoids pulled in, and I turned off the game quickly. I did measure the voltages though before turning it off and the -100 and -110 were right on.

Put in the original Rottendog ps that was in the game and now no hum but the MPU isn't powering up. No controlled lighting or game music. Tried the new DMD av board and it displayed the garbage screen for a second and then nothing. At this point, I have no idea what happened, but I know one thing - I HATE DE games with Rottendog boards in them!! Anyone with any idea what happened?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sbmania.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=sbmania and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.