• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

266 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinballmaniac40. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Welcome to the the Data East club. This is a more generic DE club, not game specific. Share your thoughts about your favorite Data East games. Post questions if you need help with your game, or if you are just looking for parts.

I think many of the DE are just as fun as the Williams System 11 games.
I currently have 5 DE games

The Simpsons. Very fun game.
Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle - A blast to play. It is something different to play.
Jurassic Park (Working on-orignally bought just the cabinet, wiring, and playfield. Now the game boots up. Still hunting for lockdown bar, coin door, Translite.)
Last Action Hero (Folded up waiting to get worked on). Fun game, had one in the past.
Hook (Also another project game with cut playfield wiring. Hope this will be a working game by this summer.)

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

Do Sega games count?

No. Sega needs its own club.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

G n R ( with a original prototype translight ).

Would like to see a picture of this.

#21 9 years ago

Interesting

#23 9 years ago

I sure cannot wait until there is a good way to mount the ColorDMD into Rocky and Bullwinkle. That color ROM will be awesome.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

What color rom? I just got my R&B, love it, color DMD would be killer!

Not yet available. The first color ROM just came out for the first Stern game, LOTR. So I think we will be waiting a while on this one.

#28 9 years ago

Pictures...pictures neded. Post your pictures.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Question DE owners/ops. Are these pins notorious for failing coin door high power switches?
Both of my DE pins, LW3 & JP have bad switches. Or should I be looking elsewhere?
Thanks in advance,
Lee

What is the problem you are having?
I don't have a coin door on my project JP, and don't recall having the flipper power shut off.
I'll double check though.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Isn't the power to the PF coils & flashers cut off by opening the coin door during gameplay?

No. I just tested this out today on Rocky & Bullwinkle as well as on Jurassic Park. All the coils and flippers work normally with the coin door open.

I believe the switch is just to be able to go into the diagnostic/audit modes.

1 week later
#62 9 years ago

I like the original LAH translite just as the artist intended.
No alternative artwork for me.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Fine and dandy if yours is in good shape, mine had a zillion cracks in the ink it was so dry. Looked REALLY bad so I had to get an alt.

Original translites in decent to good shape are still out there and available now and then.

#69 9 years ago

Anyone have a very nice original Jurassic Park translite to sell?

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Guys,
Glad that i ran across this post. Have a few questions of those who are Data East aficionados; I had discovered a Star Trek made by Data East and was very interested in it as I think it might have been the original one with Kirk and Spock. When I did some checking on the machine I was told to stay away from it. I was told that the display, should it fail, cannot be replaced as there are no aftermarket parts available and further, that Data East was sort of the "third player" in the game and their quality was not nearly what a Williams or Gottlieb would be of the same era. Would love some input from those that are really familiar and can offer some unbiased as possible feedback here.
Thank you,
G

I enjoyed my DE Star Trek when I had it. Had it for about a year and was bored of the game play.
Play one and you find you like it, buy it. Everyone does not like the same games. It is a personal preference.

XPin is currently working on a replacement DMD for it and expects to have it out probably by the summer 2015. Occasionally, used working DMD's for this game (also used in DE Batman, and Hook) pop up on Ebay. Don't let the DMD decide this for you. I even repaired one for a friend.

1 week later
#89 9 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

PinLED makes new versions of those 128x16 displays, but they are very expensive:
http://www.pinled.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=7_54&products_id=30

Xpin is working on a replacement as well.

3 weeks later
#91 9 years ago

With the new Stern Wrestlemania release in 2 months, OOTOgd, will you be adding it next to your DE Royal Rumble?

2 months later
#173 9 years ago

Looking forward to the day I can install a ColorDMD Sigma display in either Jurassic Park or Rocky/Bullwinkle.

I fit one into Twister for TPF and it looked awesome as you would expectTwister Sigma 2.JPGTwister Sigma 2.JPG. It has the same speaker panel as the other 2 games, but does not have a lamp door.Twister Sigma 1.JPGTwister Sigma 1.JPG

1 month later
#187 8 years ago

PPB board in DE games

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I just picked up a Star Wars and Jurassic Park. Very Excited about them.
SW is missing the entire mechanism to raise and lower the target to the Death Star, so its always open. Does anyone know where I can get the parts to fix this, including brackets?
JP was DOA, I've ordered some parts for the PPB, along with lots of fuses - it looks like someone was tinkering with it, and managed to blow seven fuses. JP is also missing the shaker motor assembly, including the driver board for it. Does anyone know if the current shaker motor from Stern is a "Plug & Play" replacement?
I have never worked on DE machines, so this will be a learning curve. I hope everyone will be patient with a DE newbe.

Congrats on getting 2 DE projects.

Replace C2 on the power supply in both games. If 5 volts is low, it can cause all the coils to fire randomly and blow out fuses. Usually I see the C2 leaked and that eats up the trace/pad below C2.

By driver board, I think you mean the CPU/MPU. They come up on Ebay fairly often, working and non-working ones.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

SW is missing the entire mechanism to raise and lower the target to the Death Star, so its always open. Does anyone know where I can get the parts to fix this, including brackets?
JP is also missing the shaker motor assembly, including the driver board for it. Does anyone know if the current shaker motor from Stern is a "Plug & Play" replacement?.

Normally, you can just get the part number out of the manual of what you need and type it into an internet search engine such as Google and it should locate anyone who would stock the part(s). Occasionally, you may have to buy separate parts of an assembly from different sites to get the full assembly of what you need.

1 month later
#243 8 years ago

Pictures...pictures needed. Post your pictures.
Anyone pick up a DE game recently?

#246 8 years ago

Xpin makes solid replacement power supplies that I trust.
I also have a Simpsons that I would like to get it much better cosmetic condition. I'd just been enjoying playing it a bunch. Good fast playing game. I do like that it doesn't have a ball save. Makes it much more of a challenge to get on that high score table.

1 week later
#260 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Here's a question. If power has stopped to two coils, does that extra power go to the other coils?

No. The power will be in series to all the coils in the line. If power is broken due to a broken wire, you loose power to the remaining coils in the line.

#261 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Currently have VUK and Autoplunger problems, and the F8 fuse keeps blowing

You need to test out the big TIP36C transistors on the PPB board (bottom left board in the backbox). Likely you have one or two that are shorted blowing out the fuse.

3 weeks later
#274 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Guys, a quick tech question:
I"ve owned a GNR and now a Time Machine. On both pins, the laser kick is weak. I've inspected both, and can't seem to find anything mechanically wrong with the coil/assembly, sleeve, etc.
I'm wondering if anyone has a solution. I'm starting to think it's the timing of the kick that causes a sometimes-weak kick. Perhaps the switch wire is being activated too early when the ball hits it, causing the ball not to be stuck at the right time, etc.
Any thoughts? These laser kicks are annoying to fix.

Any drag from the plunger inside the coil sleeve can slow it down. On either game, did you ever change the coil sleeve?

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I've read a lot about how fast the ball comes down that lane. If it comes down fast, the kickback will zing it out... but if slow, it's bobble it a bit. All has to do with the alignment of the switch arm.

I had an issue with a WCS where someone put a regular playfield switch wireform on that kickback that allowed the kicker to activate too soon. The correct one was nothing like what was installed. So I can imagine the manual would show what the wireform should look like on the DE games you mentioned.

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I made a thread for this but figured I'll post it here as well, I got a Tilt Reset message today on my Secret Service the game just stops and that message is displayed, you have to turn off and on to start a game again, I can't find what that error means anywhere and just played a full game now and it didn't happen? I don't want to do damage to the boards or something, its not the tilt because that mechanism is missing in my game, just started today after 50 plus error free games? Anyway any advice is appreciated, and this game is highly, highly underrated.

No damage would be done to continue playing it. Best thing to do first is to test out all the switches in the switch test and make sure all the switches record. Helps to know if it will narrow down being one switch, a whole row, or whole column.

2 months later
#283 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

DE Fans:
My collection currently consists of: Tommy, Guns-N-Roses, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Playboy 35th.
I have new vector artwork completed for the following CPR Repro Playfields:
Tommy, Guns-N-Roses, Star Trek
I'm currently working on the Playfield artwork for: DE Star Wars
If anyone has an NOS Playfield for the following DE Titles please PM me directly and I'll be happy to add them to our line-up.....
1. DE Batman Playfield
2. DE Rocky & Bullwinkle Playfield
3. DE Phantom of the Opera Playfield
4. DE Jurassic Park Playfield
5. DE Checkpoint Playfield
Also looking for source material for the following DE Plastics Sets ( NOS or Near Perfect Only! )
1. DE Batman
2. DE Rocky & Bullwinkle
3. DE Tommy
4. DE Checkpoint
I already have Playfield source material for DE Simpsons & Tales from the Crypt.
We are also doing Tales from the Crypt Plastics.....
Stu
CPR Art Director / Partner

DE Playfields_CPR.jpg

STU, are you still looking for these items?

1 month later
#316 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwhoo:

Does anyone have a dmd/speaker panel for tftc or similar game?

I need one for a friend as well.

3 months later
#345 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwhoo:

Does anyone have a dmd/speaker panel for tftc or similar game?

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I need one for a friend as well.

We are still looking for a TFTC speaker panel.

#347 8 years ago

Some DE playfields made the like to be made.
http://classicplayfields.com/order.html

1 month later
#361 7 years ago

New product for Batman, Checkpoint, Hook, Star Trek 25th Anniversary, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Replaces Data East Display P/N 520-5042-00

128x16 LED DE displays are now available.
http://bostonpinballcompany.com/Data_East_Displays.htm

Xpin's 128x16 LED DE displays due out in the summer 2016
http://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-dmd2048/

#364 7 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

My latest project...

What is it you're doing?

#370 7 years ago

I repaired many DE games (with the original DE power supply) that did not boot up or randomly reset during gameplay/attract mode. I suggest replacing the C2 (100 uf use either 35v or 50 electrolytic capacitor) on the power supply. Due to age and heat from the large heat sink that is above it, it will fail at some point. Replace it now and you'll have less issues with your game later.

#372 7 years ago
Quoted from Shock-King:

Hey guys, my Data East simpsons has a slight problem with the left flipper. Every once and awhile the flipper will just stop working. I tried adjusting the switch itself but it still does it. Do you think this problem is the switch itself? Or possible something else. Thanks for any advice. Ron

Yeah, you may have a problem with your End of Stroke switch on the flipper coil assembly. Lightly sand the EOS switch with fine sandpaper and make sure the contacts are touching when the flippers are at rest.

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I have a problem with my R&B, the i witnessed the same problem on a Lethal Weapon at the VFW show. When i get a lot going on, multiball, etc, i lose the display. Sometimes i still get some animations, just no scores. Most of teh time, nothing. Until i lose the ball, then it shows Sherman doing the totals, then when the next ball starts, all is fine again. Ideas... I have recently installed an Xpin power supply, which seemed to make the problem less, but still there. I have to repin some connectors, and maybe that is it, just haven't done it yet. Thought i'd see if others have had the same issue and what fixed it.

One of 2 things I would suspect. Either it is one of the 2 ribbon cables or the DMD controller board is becoming an issue.

I would start with the ribbon cables. Reseat them, both sides, not just at the DMD controller, to the DMD and to the MPU boards as well. If that doesn't help, try wiggling the ribbon cables near the connectors while some is test playing the game or just hitting different playfield switches. This is the best way to pinpoint a ribbon cable issue. Most of the time I found the small ribbon cable from the DMD to the DMD controller is the issue.

On the DMD controller, you can wiggle the 2 pin power connector (with red/black wires). Sometimes the issue is one of the 2 wires become loose IDC connector. Other possible problem is broken solder joints on the male 2 pin power connector. Would not hurt to resolder these on the back side of the DMD controller board.

1 week later
#381 7 years ago

DE Simpsons is in my favorite top 10 (out of 36 I have) so it will stay for a long time. I had it a good 4 years already. I like playing it more than TSPP, which stands good reason I don't have that game.

2 weeks later
#417 7 years ago

I actually prefer playing my DE Simpsons over playing my TZ. I like the challenge of not having a ball save on Simpsons. The game keeps me coming back for more, just like all the system 11 games that I own.

1 week later
#428 7 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Recently got myself my first DE - Lethal Weapon 3. LOVE IT!

Uh...okay..okay..okay!!!

2 weeks later
#437 7 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Hi guys
Can anyone please tell me
On the x-pin power supply, the 0,5 amp fuse what is all conected to this?
my dmd went out, but even when disconect red/black power conector for dmd
the 0,5 fuse blows on start up.
rest of pin seems to work good.
also posted at jurassic park club
any help apreciated

If your DMD draws too much current, this 0.5 amp fuse will blow out.
There is a 8 pin connector on the DMD that you would need to remove to see if the 0.5 amp fuse blows out. The 2 pin red/black connector on the DMD controller board is only 5 volts going to that board.

Did you have an original DE power supply in the game? If so, what was it doing?

#443 7 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

anyone any idea why the 0.5 amp fuse blows, even when dmd not connected?
and why not on the rottendog board?

Quoted from jorro:

but even with all dmd cables unhooked, when i power up imedeatly the 0.5 fuse blows on xpin

Definitely different designs. If you have the power cable disconnected from the DMD, then the Xpin power supply needs to be sent back for warranty repair. You likely want to contact who you bought the board from or contact Xpin directly.

Can you report the voltages you see with the Rottendog power supply at the DMD?

Also, I am wondering what brand is the DMD?

Are the 2 fuses that are attached to the backbox not blown (ones above the big blue capacitor at the bottom of the backbox)?

2 weeks later
#451 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

NeedHelp....I'm getting a popping sound through my speakers that is synchronized to the rapid flashing of the LEDs.

What type of power supply do you have? Picture will help if you don't know.

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

NeedHelp....I'm getting a popping sound through my speakers that is synchronized to the rapid flashing of the LEDs. Not the flashing that makes you think your going to have a seizure from the GI lighting but instead the flashing of the skill shot lights or the flashing of the scoop target lighting. I have flipper fidelity speakers and a pinsound board. I used to have a similar problem related to the rope lights but I fixed a short and then the popping sound went away. I'm not talking about the data east hum either, this is a distinct pop with every flash.
Thanks

What type of power supply do you have? Picture will help if you don't know.

Rottendog with Pinsound. You should contact Pinsound for help.
Actually even best to start a repair thread as well with your specific setup.
This will be too much involved to help out on this thread.

Here is one such thread for a reference.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-pinsound-board-with-date-east-games

1 month later
#469 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

No checkpoint decals either...no worries though, in the Checkpoint club a decal run is currently underway

Yes there are.
ebay.com link: Checkpoint Data East Pinball Decals

1 week later
#473 7 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Data East love. Someone should start to do plastics.

CPR already ran some DE Star Wars, DE Star Trek 25th anniversary, and DE Playboy 35th anniversary plastic sets.

http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-plastics.html

#476 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

TFTC plastics have also been reproduced and turned out very nice.

Can be bought currently anywhere?

#477 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

TFTC plastics have also been reproduced and turned out very nice.

Can be bought currently anywhere?

Yep. http://starship-fantasy.com/plastics/Tales-From-the-Crypt

#478 7 years ago

POTA plastic sets also available.
http://starship-fantasy.com/plastics/paginate/36

2 weeks later
#483 7 years ago

There are no fuses on switches. If that millions ramp switch is not registering, it either needs adjusting or replacement. This is assuming all other switches in the game are working. Go into the switch test and verify all switches are working. If you have a full row or column of switches not working, then you'll looking at a shorted transistor or IC.

1 month later
#487 7 years ago
Quoted from Snwbrdrmidget15:

Thank you, I am fairly new at this troubleshooting repairs.....do you know where I can find a replacement switch if its just the one that has gone bad? I can't seem to find myself.

Did you find one? I normally do an internet search using the part number in the manual.

#488 7 years ago

Good news. Colorful LED ColorDMD's are now available for some DE games.
http://shop.colordmd.com/led-displays/

Currently, GNR, Star Wars and Tommy all have their color ROMs released now for the LED display. There would be no need to modify the speaker panel for these too fit either.

Also, you can even purchase a LED ColorDMD and enjoy a single color in Sigma mode which you can choose which color you want the display to be. Once a color ROM is available in the future for your title, then you'll be able to upgrade to full color.

Please note that this color LED display only replaces the 128x32 size DMD.

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

(cough, cough) Jurassic Park (cough)

Sounds like you need to see a doctor.

1 month later
#497 7 years ago

Torpedo Alley. Now that is one I hadn't played yet.

1 week later
#500 7 years ago
Quoted from PeoriaKid:

I just installed a new Pinsound board in my DE Star Trek. Followed the instructions to the letter, but when I turn in back on, the start button doesn't work. It's set up on free play.
All the lights and DMD are working fine. Any ideas?

test out all the switches in the game.

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

My good friend and neighbor has a The Simpsons. I haven't seen the pin in years but after I got a The Getaway HS2. I tried talking him into fixing his so I'd have another pin to play. He says it have ball switch error and won't kick a ball out to the plunger. Seems like a simple enough problem. Anyone here had this problem and could suggest how to fix it. I'll continue to try and get him to join Pinside but I'm not sure he has that much interest.

Awesome. Good that you want to help your neighbor.

Do you know if it will start a game?
If a game cannot start, then remove the apron and make sure 3 balls are in the trough area. If not, it will not allow a game to start. Sometimes the ball gets trapped in the playfield area if the game is too flat.

If it will start a game, then check all the fuses on the power supply and on the PPB board. Also check the two fuses mounted directly to the backbox just above the big capacitor sitting at the bottom on the backbox.

3 weeks later
#516 7 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I saw the pin tonight. When you press Start it says 2 balls are missing, does a system ball check, and then it won't kick a ball to the plunger. I see a ball ready to go to the plunger. So without me taking off the glass and checking for the other two balls, what do y'all think Is the issue? I did do a nudge in case the two missing balls were somehow stuck, but nothing happened.

Quoted from Charger500:

Thanks. Seems like a simple fix. I'm trying to get him to fix it. I offered to help again last night. I think they want to sell, though. Or fix it then sell. They are just not into it anymore, it seems. Shame. I want a second pin, but I don't think I want this one.

I would not rule out one ball is being trapped somewhere because of a broken rubber or plastic.

You need to run the switch tests and coils tests in order to narrow down the problem(s), otherwise we are just guessing where the problem(s) lie. If all the coils fire, likely can be a switch problem may only need to be adjusted. Then again, you can have multiple switches not working because of a single broken wire. Without knowing what all switches are not working, you can go nuts just looking the wiring over. Even a chance a coil is not firing just because of a broken wire.

I think if you can get him to let you look into it with him there, it may drive him to want to keep it longer knowing someone next door can likely help out. If you can get it working, challenge him on a few games. I really do like playing against someone more than I like playing a game by myself.

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Thanks. I only have limited knowledge of Williams games. I know how to perform a switch on my Getaway HS2 , but how do I perform a switch test on a Data East Simpsons? Maybe it's less intuitive since it doesn't have a DMD to show the tests. Excuse my ignorance here.

It is easy to figure out. Very similar to System 11 games. Game manual should take you through the test menu if all else fails.

#519 7 years ago

The alphanumeric displays will display the tests, just as the DMD shows the tests as HSGetaway does. Just a different looking display. Don't let that intimidate you. You can do this. Since you fixed problems on a Williams, use that knowledge to fix the DE game. Similar issues even though technology is a bit older.

#521 7 years ago

Charger500, has he played your Getaway? Time to challenge him to a few games after explaining some of the rules to him. This should get him hooked.

1 week later
#526 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Torpedo Alley started my love for "unlicensed" DE titles.

I have yet to play that one.

1 week later
#541 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm back in the club!
I had a tmnt and had to sell it a while back.
But now I have a Simpsons and it needs some love, I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions here about it.

Edit: ok, first question... what do I do about the red cooling towers ?
They're broken, do I need to buy the tspp cooling towers and try something there?

Welcome to the club. Simpsons is my favorite DE game. I have the new TSPP cooling towers and really love them. My game came with the original towers, but one was broken and I did not even like the looks of them. I sold them on Ebay. 20170212_085847 (resized).jpg20170212_085847 (resized).jpg

#543 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Wow those look great!
How did you attach them?

Just a small playfield rubber holds it in place at the top. Everything comes together as a kit.

#547 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Is it the kit from Marco ? Looks like they're sold out
Looks like pinballlife has the red towers

I wish I remembered where I bought my set about 4 years ago.

#549 7 years ago

I wish I remembered where I bought my set about 4 years ago.

The cooling tower kit includes a bracket that you can see behind the red plastic tower for support on top of the pop bumpers. So if you buy only the plastic towers, that will not be all that you need.

#550 7 years ago

You could purchase the parts separately since all the part numbers are listed. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5028-SET

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Turns out... Steve Young has the kit, and is cheaper to buy the kit vs put one together and he has the red towers, marco only has the gray towers... yea! I love to pay separate shipping charges between 3 companies!!!

I was not meaning to buy from multiple places. Seems odd Steve has DE parts. I am thinking my tower set may have come from Ebay for $45 those many years ago. Glad you found a set.

Turn on the tower action to yes in the settings. Cool feature.

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Are you saying I should change the pop bumper bodies to the williams?

I changed nothing on my game when I installed the tower kit. Has been working great for 4 years with no issues with the towers. The game even was in 2 Houston Arcade Expo's with them installed.

Sounds as if he was talking about the original towers, like what you have now.

2 weeks later
#573 7 years ago
Quoted from corey0827:

Got my secret service running works great wanna thank those of u that helped... Played for awile, now my left flipper is very slow any ideas on what to look at im considering the rebuild kits

Run a dollar bill through the EOS switch and the flipper button switch on the cabinet. Squeeze tightly on the contacts as you run the bill through them.

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from corey0827:

ok got the secret service game going thanks to yall ... love it had some flipper fade on left flipper checked and am going to do 3 rebuild kits with solenoids ..... my other question is does anybody know how to check the chip on the display i can handle the logic's but the buffer's are beside me i'm trying to check the udn7180a in positions u9,u10,and u14 looking to see if ya'll would know the ranges of output voltages for that also trying to figure out the udn6118a-1 chips in positions u11,u12,u13,u15 also the 4 cd4050bcn chips in positions u3,u4,u5,u6 looking for what should be coming in and leaving on these chips depending on the state of on or off any knowledge would be very helpful also is there a good way for checking the 7 digit alphanumeric displays and the 7 digit numeric displays off of the board , thanks trying to determine if i should just buy the new display if the displays are good i would like to replace chips and resistors as apposed to spending a lot of money unless i absolutely need to ........

Post a picture of the displays with the game on and another with them on. If the segments are dark, likely they are burnt out.

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

Didn't know I was missing out on a club....Thought it was just by machine

Most clubs are by machine, but I thought a DE club would be more exciting sharing games and experiences.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I made a new thread for this, but nobody responded. I thought maybe somebody in here could help.
I know this has been asked before, but I have yet to see a solution to the problem. TMNT has 3 settings for lighting the TURTLES letters:
Easy: Any lit letters from previous game stay lit for the next played game.
Factory: Any lit letter stays lit between each of the three ball until the game is over, but after the third ball and the game is over the letters reset for the next game.
Hard: Any letter lit on one played ball resets before the next ball.
The problem is the factory setting doesn't seem to work. The factory setting acts like the hard setting. I believe this feature worked correctly before I changed the batteries for the first time and did a factory reset (it was at least three years ago so I can't remember). I have gone through the adjustments and have found nothing. I pulled both the 5B and 5C PROM and reinstalled them. It is the most up to date code I know of 1.04. Does anyone know how to solve this issue as I have been looking for the solution on and off for years. Thank you for any input you wizards can come up with.
Monk

Link your thread. It will be nice if the thread is answered for anyone to find the solution in the future.

1 week later
#650 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Wondering if anyone ever had problems with their sound board playing the sounds but no music? I have a playboy 35th and can't seem to get any music out of it...i get most of the sounds, though. And the weird thing is, I have a second board and it does the same thing...sound but no game music. I thought it might be the flat cable that runs to MPU but no luck on that, either.

Check the voltages on the sound board. There is at least one voltage generated on the sound board.

#657 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Thank you for both responses to my issue. I installed Rottendog MPU, so I can't imagine it's that. I do think it must be a voltage thing.... What is the easiest way to check the voltage on the sound board? I know my voltage must not be high enough because my flippers are machine gunning, too, which leads me to believe I'm not getting the 9 volts required to hold them in place. It's driving me crazy because the power board is a new Xpin and when I check the voltage at the test points on that board they seem fine.......

Start a new thread on your game with your problems. There's going to be too much involved in getting your issues worked out in this general thread. It will also make it easier for other people to search and find your final fixes.

#659 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I tried that.... No one responded to it. But, now I have some ideas other than mine to go with.... It was either that or lose my mind!!

You need to keep bumping your thread. Also, post the link to your thread here too.

Edit. I see terryb gave you some information and you didn't report back.

Link to the thread so others can help there.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-playboy-35th-issues

3 weeks later
#685 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thoughts on Hook? Probably getting one this weekend.
I'm in the club with my LW3!

Congrats on LW3. Get Hook as it is a good game.

1 month later
#735 6 years ago
Quoted from OrangeSC:

Just had my POTO boards serviced. After putting everything back together some of the voice sounds are not working. It no longer says "I am the Phantom of the Opera" and a few other things. Could this be as simple as a bad eprom or does anyone have a different idea of what's wrong? Thanks.

Contact whomever repaired the boards.

#737 6 years ago

Does not hurt to send another message to him. My only suggestion would be to,reseat both ends of the sound board ribbon cable at the sound board and at the MPU .

#740 6 years ago
Quoted from OrangeSC:

Thanks. We are going to patiently wait for him to return from vacation. I am pretty sure it's the EPROMs but I've been wrong before.

Honestly, I cannot see that being sound ROMs if it worked before sending out the boards, it sounds more like a connection issue which is why I suggested reseating the sound board ribbon cable. Might as well reseat the other cables to the sound board too.

2 weeks later
#747 6 years ago
Quoted from OrangeSC:

Just had my POTO boards serviced. After putting everything back together some of the voice sounds are not working. It no longer says "I am the Phantom of the Opera" and a few other things. Could this be as simple as a bad eprom or does anyone have a different idea of what's wrong? Thanks.

Tried this yet?

reseat both ends of the sound board ribbon cable at the sound board and at the MPU .

2 months later
3 weeks later
#799 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Sorry the person purchased the pin new in 92. I did Google about the DMD becoming gas out. The pin was put up for auction because the owner was moving. I will post some photos of when I get it on its legs.

Also measure the voltages at the DMD. I suspect you have either -112v, -100v or 62v missing (comes from the power supply)..

#801 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Thanks for posting I was going to do voltage test before buying a new DMD. I'm going to install NVRAM.

Good. NVRAM is an easy install for DE games since the old RAM is already in a socket. http://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

Start with section 4.7.6 to be sure you don't have a burnt wafer connector at CN1. If F7 (1/2amp) fuse is blown on the power supply, no doubt the high voltage section will need to be rebuilt. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Small_128_x_16_DMD_Display

Also check the 2 (5amp) fuses that are mounted on the metal sheet in the backbox just below the power supply.

3 weeks later
#815 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Hey fellow club members... quick question and seeking advice on something.
I'm wanting to replace my PPB board for my TFTC, and there are the obvious choices from a variety of sellers like Rottendog for $125, Xpin for $159, and then you have the random eBay seller who has refurbished ones for $65 give or take. Normally, I don't mind treating my game to nice things and get the Xpin, but I'd like to see if anyone knows of any other outlets, like reputable pinheads who service and sell refurbished boards?
If nothing comes up, I'm fine going with Xpin, as they have free shipping all this month and their products seem to have a good following.
Any advice or thoughts is much appreciated!

Beware of original board Ebay ads. There is a difference between someone selling a pulled working board versus a refurbished one. Pulled working board doesn't mean any parts were changed and still can fail in short term, especially if the smaller electrolytic capacitors were not changed.

Far as aftermarket boards, I would go with a XPin power supply as there have been better long term reliability and many less issues out of the box.

3 months later
#860 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Question for the club. Does anyone have a pinsound board and a rotten dog mpu on the same game? I’m having issues and am not getting any support from pinsound guys. Wondering if this combo works for anyone. Thanks

What is wrong with your original MPU?

#866 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I got this game with replacement boards. Both the power supply and mpu are aftermarket.

Do you have the original sound board to put back in to see if your issues go away? Whatever those issues may be.

3 weeks later
#882 6 years ago

Very soon, a new large Sigma ColorDMD display will be available for Maverick. So there is some hope now for full color for that game. I suspect it will only be available in the LED display, at least for now.2018-01-30 02_08_07-ColorDMD Pinball Displays - Home - Internet Explorer (resized).png2018-01-30 02_08_07-ColorDMD Pinball Displays - Home - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#884 6 years ago

Obviously the display is for all the large DMD games. I only specifically mentioned Maverick because this is a Data East Club not Sega, so I did not mention Baywatch.

#887 6 years ago

Interesting.

From http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1561
Last pinball produced by Data East, first pinball produced with the 192x64 dot matrix display and 16 bit (68000 driven) dot matrix controller. Production of this game was continued under Sega Pinball, Inc.

1 month later
2 months later
#964 5 years ago
Quoted from ab1944:

I've just purchased a tales of the crypt machine. Is there a volume adjustment on it, and if so where? please rsvp....thanks.
Al

There should be a tall metal rod sticking up just to the right inside the coin door. That is your volume control. 20180623_122025 (resized).jpg20180623_122025 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#969 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone happen to have a good picture of the CPU clock area on the Data East CPU board? I am trying to get a Rocky and Bullwinkle going this morning and trying to confirm the specs on the crystal oscillator.
Thank you!

I have yet to see one failed. Is there battery corrosion in this area on the board you are working on?

#971 5 years ago

8Mhz on the CPU board. 20180707_114059 (resized).jpg20180707_114059 (resized).jpg

#973 5 years ago

Thank you! That helps confirm the orientation too. If all goes well I may be able to try it out later today.

I hope it works for you upon powering it up. I have my R&B on loan and hoping to get it back soon so that I can install a LED ColorDMD in it and show it off at the Houston Arcade Expo in October. I miss playing that game. Wow Wee!!!

#980 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

hook machine,,, getting slam tilt whenever skill shot upper switch 1 gets activated , no obvious loose wire that I can see, looked at switch matrix chart both are on row 7, my simple and probably incorrect conclusion is that somewhere there is a short to the slam tilt switch? any ideas on how to proceed? thanks

Remove the balls out of the trough, reset all the targets, go into the active switch test (not the regular switch edge test) and see if any switch shows closed.

#982 5 years ago

This test was made to aid in troubleshooting a closed switch which can random cause game play errors. Just because you can see a random tilt during game play, that does not mean that is the switch causing the problem. The right combination of 2 switches in a row or column causes these type of issues.

With the 6 balls out of the trough and targets in the up position, only one switch, going on memory here, that should be registering on this active switch test would be the dinosaur left switch. If any other switches are registering, you need to figure out why, likely switch needs to be adjusted. All switches are normally open in the game, but since the dinosaur left switch is closed because that is its home position, it will be registering. Report what it shows on the screen and we can go from there.

#984 5 years ago

yes. Missed that. I think that hook should not have any switches in the closed position with the balls out of the game

#986 5 years ago

The first test was in the active swich test and not the regular switch edge test?

#988 5 years ago

On the DMD it actually will say 'Active Switch Test'. During this test if you put balls in the trough, it will continuously keep registering the balls as the switches are stuck closed because the balls are holding the switch down.

Yes, your description of the switch edge test is good. Just that this switch test will not show one that is stuck closed, only the switches you press momentarily, like an outlane switch.

I would like to see a picture of the slam tilt switch.

#990 5 years ago

Once back in the active switch test and balls removed, try tapping on the playfield to see if you can anything to show.

Also when you are testing the slingshots, test each of the two switches separately, not by pushing on the slingshot rubber.

#992 5 years ago

ColorDMD for LAH has been announced. I enjoyed beta testing this one. https://mailchi.mp/e0e486780f78/colordmd-announces-game-78-lights-camera-action

#997 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

posted my trouble shooting issues in tech so it has a separate thread , look like board issue, thanks for all the input and feel free to provide your thoughts !

Can you post a link to your thread? It would be easier to search for others in the future with similar issues.

1 month later
#1007 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hey everyone,
Hoping someone can guide me here.
I am working on a Time Machine that powers up lights, but nothing else. Watched a lot of videos and read a lot of threads and I tracked it to the PS board +5v is only putting out about 2v on the TP and CN6. 12v appears normal.
Rectifier and power coming in seems good as well.
So far here is what I've found:
I am going to replace the C2(bad), C3(looks like it was okay but going to just replace it anyway) , C4 most videos say to go ahead and replace it), Broke F1 fuse holder clip so will replace that.
I checked the diodes and D6 and D8 were showing values both ways. I took them out of the circuit and they are showing only 1 way so I assume that means they are good. My question is, is it normal for these two to show both ways in the circuit? Is this a symptom of another issue I need to look for?
Also unclear how to check 2N6057 on the heat sink. I see lots of people say to check it for 5v problems. I tried checking it using the wire leads on the board(C,E,B) as a transistor (not powered, out of the pin), but I'm not really clear if I'm doing it right.
Thanks for any assistance.

Yes, I would change those 3 capacitors and fuse clip first and see what it does. Very likely it will come up running if CN1 does not have any burnt pins.

#1009 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I checked the diodes and D6 and D8 were showing values both ways. I took them out of the circuit and they are showing only 1 way so I assume that means they are good. My question is, is it normal for these two to show both ways in the circuit? Is this a symptom of another issue I need to look for?
Also unclear how to check 2N6057 on the heat sink. I see lots of people say to check it for 5v problems. I tried checking it using the wire leads on the board(C,E,B) as a transistor (not powered, out of the pin), but I'm not really clear if I'm doing it right.

The circuit depends on how it makes the diodes react in the board which is why you do have to remove them in some cases. Might as well install two new diodes if you have them on hand.

From my experience I have not seen too many to 2N6057 transitions bad so I would just leave it for now.

Some of the capacitors are very hard to get out of the board without damaging it. But the three you asked about I definitely would replace right now

#1019 5 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

Okay Data East people, where should these grounding wires be connected? I feel like they shouldn't just be hanging out in the backbox. Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

Goes to 2 of the 4 screws that hold the DMD in place.

2 weeks later
#1037 5 years ago

TFTC manual should show all fuses used in the game.

#1048 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I can get in diagnostics and cycle through no problem...but when I press in the other button I still get the diagnostics menu.

Once in attract mode, press the green button. It should be out for the adjustment menu, and in for the diagnostic menu. Then press the other, normally red, button. This is covered in the manual.

#1050 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

None of those things worked. But pressing and holding down the white coin door switch and then pressing the green + black buttons got it into adjustments. It's finicky but it worked. Thanks guys

Sounds like you need new switches. The white coin door one is the interlock switch that should signal when the door is open when the switch is open. There is not a wire came loose on the back of the white one?

#1052 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

No there is no loose wire, that's why I took is apart. Everything seems ok.
But when I open the coin door it doesn't automatically go to audit mode
Maybe the switches need replacing?

It will not go into audit or diagnostic mode on its own. When you press the other button, other than the green one, should enter whichever menu depending on the up/down selection of the green switch. The white interlock also supposed to cut power to the coils when the coin door is open.

#1053 5 years ago

You can test continuity with a meter to know if the switches are working.

#1056 5 years ago

I have a flaky select menu switch I need to replace on my DE Simpsons. Most times I have to press it several times to get it to work. Contact spray may work temporarily on it if it is just dirty but will not help if the contacts inside are worn.

#1058 5 years ago

Can you go into the switch edge test and see if the white coin door switch registers? That sounds opposite of what it should be doing.

#1060 5 years ago

What about pressing the green and the white switches at the same time?

#1062 5 years ago

Might be good time to test all the switches in the game in the switch edge test.

#1064 5 years ago

Do you have LEDs or a LED ColorDMD installed in your game?

#1066 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Yes to LEDs and color DMD

Sweet. I have a LED ColorDMD but not yet tried LEDs in the game. It is tough trying to find a perfect "warm white" match with LEDs for the GI. I like my games bright, but with that comes the strobing effect that makes me fill a bit dizzy at times.

#1068 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

My TFTC came blinged out in different coloured + SUPER bright LEDs. I ordered all warm white LEDs for the entire machine from titan pinball. I'll do the LED swap to warm white when I have my NOS playfield swapped in.
Finally got the shaker motor working too. It's pretty neat. What are your thoughts on the shaker? On or off?

Sweet. I bet you're looking forward to doing all that work on the playfield swap. <Sarcasm>

I haven't played TFTC much in the past to remember if it had a working shaker motor. I do like it in LAH though. Oops...my previous post should have mentioned the LEDs and LED ColorDMD are in my LAH. I don't have a TFTC. A friend of mine is needing me to work on his TFTC, so I'll have access to his when I get some free space in the house for his project game. I'm looking forward to that.

#1070 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Forgot to mention I got pinstadiums instaled as well. Really makes the playfield pop!!
I'm just asking in general about the shaker because I'm wondering if all that shaking will cause problems down the road. (things shaking out of place or falling off onto the cabinet)

If you like it how it is implemented in the game play, keep it on. It adds a nice touch to LAH. I added one in my Stern Star Wars and in my Stern Indiana Jones and I'm glad I did it for both. I don't foresee any future issues with the shaker installed.

#1073 5 years ago

Good news!!! CPR Rocky & Bullwinkle plastic set is now available.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/rockyandbullwinkle/
2018-09-12 09_52_29-Rocky And Bullwinkle – classicplayfields.com - Internet Explorer (resized).png2018-09-12 09_52_29-Rocky And Bullwinkle – classicplayfields.com - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#1077 5 years ago

I am Batman. I hope I can own one of those one day.

#1081 5 years ago

LAH rocks.

2 weeks later
#1106 5 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

This is my Data east line-up, I doubt any of these will ever leave. When I first got into pinball I always looked down on DE games and they never stayed long but in the last 5 years or so have revisited them with a newfound appreciation, helped by Pinsound
[quoted image]

Uhh...you know a ColorDMD is available for all 5 of them? Get started. Congrats on your row of 5 there. Definitely some good DE titles.

#1109 5 years ago

I am in desperate search of p/n 515-5850-00 or the whole assembly so I can finish up my LAH for the local pinball show on the 19th. Anyone have one to sell? 2018-10-07 09_55_14-Marco Specialties Pinball Parts - Internet Explorer (resized).png2018-10-07 09_55_14-Marco Specialties Pinball Parts - Internet Explorer (resized).png

2 months later
#1138 5 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

Hi all,
Currently have a Twister, and a Last Action Hero on order to be delivered later this week. Posted this question in the Twister club forum as well:
I'm finally getting around to replacing a couple ROM chips in my Twister to see if that improves spinner/fan functionality. I had trouble pulling the ROMS which is why I took so long as I didn't want to break anything. Finally was able to figure out how to extract existing chips without causing damage.
Here is what I got:
TWISTER (SEGA) EPROM U210 GAME A4.05
TWISTER (SEGA) EPROM ROM0 DISPLAY A4.00
I replaced both in the game, but when I turned on game it doesn't appear to boot. Lights come on, but game doesn't start. Removed the new main ROM (but left display) and replaced with original, and game booted after asking me to open door.
Question 1: Is there something I should be doing to help it boot with new ROM chip, or is it missing something else that needs to be added for the new ROM chip to work?
Question 2: Aside from display working as expected, how can I check that updated ROM is functioning properly, what has changed?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Since Twister is a Sega game, it is best to post in the Sega club. DE and Sega have different board sets between them. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-club

#1140 5 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

Wow,
I seriously thought they were both made by the same company...[quoted image]

DE became Sega, but the DMD controller board and the DMD are the only things in common between the boards. So, depending on how much DE people know about the Whitestar board set, you may not get much help here.

3 weeks later
#1149 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Have a row of the backbox burned out in a Jurassic Park. What connector is this? Had trouble tracing it.
Top half is out.

Let's see your CN6 connector on your power supply.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
3 weeks later
#1166 5 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Hey all, I have a Rocky and Bullwinkle I recently got on trade. It is in okay shape and getting better by the day, but the left VUK for Aesop is really inconsistent. Sometimes the ball barely comes up, other times it shoots up and over thru the outlane. Anyone else run into this? I tried bending the scoop down a bit and that didn't help. New VUK or inconsistent power going to it? Thanks for any tips.

I bought a VUK rebuild kit and it helped some.

4 months later
#1227 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The sounds on my Robocop are not quite right. I have have it running and playing well. But the sounds are not consistent. Sometimes the Turbo sounds are sounding off and sometimes they are not.
I read somewhere that I should consider replacing the ribbon style sound cable. This is the only site that Googled up when Googled Robocop pinball sound cable. I would buy this cable but the seller says, "It is suspected to work".......
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/replacement-parts-dataeast-sound-cable-p-34.html
I don't want to spend 25.00 for a cable that is suspected to work.
EDIT: I guess this is the website for Pinsider Zitt.
What sound cable options do I have for Robocop?
TIA

With power off, I would reseat both ends of the sound board ribbon cable and the sound ROMs.

1 month later
#1283 4 years ago

I think most DE games have a knocker in the lower cabinet.

3 weeks later
#1324 4 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

my bullwinkle has one and missing one.......it is a clear cover over the credit switches inside the coin door

Remove the other one and then they will match. Less stress.

#1326 4 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

sorry.....can't do that.........I am more of a completest!

So you're saying...if the only way to get that plastic is to buy another coin door, you'll do it?

#1328 4 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

so your saying you have a coin door that has both covers and you are going are going to remove one just to sell me the coin door instead of just the cover?

My coin door is missing so I have none to sell. It was a what if question. Just trying to see how bad your OCD is.

#1330 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I purchased a second Time Machine to lay hands on the spare backglass so there is precedent.[quoted image]

2 times the fun!

3 weeks later
#1359 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Told ya! The power supply on Data East games need to be rebuilt. They’re all dying right now. New caps and it’s good as new!

And some having burnt connectors as his did.

#1360 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Keep getting an error message that there are Too Many Balls. The ball ejection coil keeps firing off after a ball enters the shooter lane. Also it fires off before you start a new game. The plastic below the coil looks damaged, maybe from resting the playfield on the top of the cabinet.

Picture of this would help.

Never seen a Too Many Balls error message show on any DE game display. How many balls you have in the trough?

It sounds like the game is doing a ball search because it thinks it never kicked a ball up to the shooter lane, where the game is expecting it to be. At the very least, it sounds like the shooter lane switch is not registering. I suggest testing all the switches in the game (including all trough switches) in the switch test as it will help to know if it is a single switch error, a whole row not registering, or a whole column of switches not registering. Not knowing the details, we can continue to guess where the problem lies.

#1369 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

As mentioned, there is some damage to the bottom of the coil but the resister seems to be intact.

That is a diode on the coil, notes resistor.

I will wait for the results of the switch test.

#1371 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I know the trough clean function doesn't work.

Are you saying the coil is not firing? If so, will it fire in the solenoid test?

#1385 4 years ago

For the price of that battery board, you could have bought a NVRAM and no worries about soldering anything on DE/Sega/Stern Whitestar games, as NVRAM is Plug and Play.
https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#1388 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Damn, that is a great alternative. If I understand correctly, all I'd need to do is clip out the old holder and replace or swap out one of those chips with NVRAM.
Thanks again!

Correct. I clip off the battery holder to keep anyone from installing batteries because alkaline batteries no doubt will get installed.

5D gets swapped out.
https://www.pinitech.com/product_images/ram_locations/ramloc_dataeast.jpg

1 week later
#1400 4 years ago
Quoted from moonraker:

I want to find a fuse cap to fit right into power supply hole, I don’t want to open up the power supply and hack a holder in, nothings broken. Just need to find one that fits

A used cap is your only chance. New ones are not threaded the same or do not have the same cap dimensions, different manufactures, etc. all fit a bit different than one another.

#1404 4 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Posted on the LW thread but figure this one might get more action:
The Kick back coil on my LW3 started smoking a few months ago and I haven't had a chance to look into it until now.
At first inspection the plunger wouldn't budge at all. After taking it apart, it looks like the plastic section of the plunger melted to the inside of the sleeve. I threw the MM on and it measured 1.7ohm. This means it's cooked right?
Anyone ideas what might have caused this?
Now in regards to replacing this thing... My coil says AE-23-800-05 on it. "-05" isn't noted in my manual, and even so, -05 on the Marco site looks completely different...
Can anyone suggest an appropriate coil to replace this?
Thanks!

Separate repair threads are always best with links pointing toward them in the clubs. It is very tough trying to find repair solutions within a general club thread.

Your coil is cooked because you cannot get it apart, and yes, the resistance of the coil drops when the coil shorts out. The transistor on the MPU that drives it to fire, would be the cause, so it will need to be replaced.

AE-23-800-05 Replacement parts don't always look like the originals, true for anything remade. It is important to get the correct part number coil. As you can see, Marco has a note that it can be substituted with AE-23-800." Sometimes the -05 is designation that a diode is attached. Make sure you look at the game to know if the diode is needed.

1 week later
#1412 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I posted asking for some help in the Rocky and Bullwinkle thread but I thought I'd ask here as well. Here is what I typed in the other thread:
I am having a couple of issues with my R&amp;B. Many times throughout a game (not all the time), hitting my left flipper trips the center hat target and the right flipper activates the lower hat target. Causing hundreds of “wrong hat” callouts.
My lion is no longer lifting up on hat trick. It was fully working, then seemed partially working, now not at all.
I have continuity at both sides of the molex set coming from the coil. Coil went bad ? It still moves freely by hand.
oh yeah, also worth mentioning. My right flipper lacks strength at some points in the game. Almost always when the ball comes out of the left scoop/vuk, if I try to hammer the ball with the right flipper it only goes up half way and barely projects the ball. In one other instance (IIRC), if it comes around the orbit, counterclockwise to the right flipper, it doesn't fire with authority.
If I cradle the ball, I can hit both ramps from the right flipper.
thanks ahead of tiem for any insight.

Best to start a repair thread and link it in the 2 clubs. Repairs get pretty deep sometimes and more people tend to help out more as they are easier to find as a separate thread.

4 weeks later
#1474 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Just throwing it out there, but I am hoping to make replacement ramps soon for TMNT and Checkpoint. If anyone would like to be put on the interest list for either of these, please send me a PM and I will be sure to add you. As always, no money is due until the ramp is ready to ship. Also, if someone has a broken TMNT ramp they would like to donate, a new TMNT ramp will be provided free of charge to the donor. Thanks!

How about making a new thread and posting a link to it in this club and the 2 individual clubs as well.

2 weeks later
#1482 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, guess I can start one.

I don't see any Stern games listed in your collection.

1 month later
#1534 4 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

I am looking for a good used working data east power supply if anyone has one
Thanks

What board revision or game is it for? Is your burnt?

#1551 4 years ago

Get the connector for the wiring as well to repin.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKWMS

1 month later
#1625 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

This one is exhibiting some really crappy problems that I suspect are all due to a faulty power supply. Worked fine for a while then slowly went downhill. I

Sounds like it is time for all new capacitors on the power supply. The smaller caps like to leak and damage the traces under the capacitors.

1 week later
#1643 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Okay thanks looks like I'll have to buy a new one for $230 online..

I have not seen any new original style plasma 128x16 DMD for sale for DE Star Trek. They have not been made in years.

Have you tested your voltages at the power connector of the DMD? Loss of any of the 3 high voltages, -110v, -100v, 62v from the power supply will cause the DMD not to light up at all.

3 weeks later
#1700 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Will this fit my data East Star Trek?

It will not. That is for the 128x32 games such as Demolition Man, DE JP, and DE SW.

DE Star Trek, DE Hook, DE Checkpoint, DE Batman, and DE TMNT are the only games that share the 128x16 DMD.

#1702 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I'll check.. After the game is on for awhile the display seems to warm up and start working some but the middle never fully works so it appears to be gassing out..

Please test the voltages. If the voltages are low, it can give you the same result. If that is ok, we have something else to check too.

#1705 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

So I picked up a project Batman yesterday I am trying to get going again. It is missing the solid state flipper board. Before I go and order a new one, does anyone have a used flipper board they would be willing to sell?

You forgot to mention the part number.

why on earth are there so many Batman machines with blown out playfields?

Many other DE titles are blown out, not just Batman. Remember...pinball machines were not meant to last 20+ years.

I hope to find a Batman in the future no matter what shape the playfield is in since I'm wanting to play one a lot.

#1712 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone know where I can get this board, EUROPEAN "PIN-LED DATA EAST REPLACEMENT 40001" flipper board? Even used would be great. Thanks for the help!

PinLED=German made

#1721 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Would a Tommy power board work directly in a GnR? Want to test a power issue with the flippers and have an old Tommy power board. Just wondering if 100% compatible. Thanks.

You can always look at the part number on the boards or in the manuals to compare.

I don't see that being a power supply issue. Flipper board or EOS switches sound more possible.

#1725 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the confirmation. Always nervous to swap out boards between games. Will double check the manuals for sure. Thank you.

The board labels would be the easiest to look at as they are printed on the bottom right corner near CN4.
20200402_110026 (resized).jpg20200402_110026 (resized).jpg

20200402_105903 (resized).jpg20200402_105903 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1748 4 years ago

I do not.

4 weeks later
#1828 3 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Can anyone tell me if the back on the DE DMD's are supposed to have two hooks or just one?

Every DE game with a plastic speaker panel is supposed to have 2 hooks holding it in place.

#1830 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My LW3 was missing one, made a replacement out of aluminum, lol. I would had purchased if I had known they were available.

At least you are improving your pinball skill set. I don't have those type of machinist skills.

1 week later
#1887 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Another Data East joins my collection
[quoted image]

Looks to be in dire need of a ColorDMD.

#1900 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Recently traded for a d.e. star wars, have never owner or played a d.e. before. Having issues with the dmd, comes and goes. I've cleaned, burnished and checked every connection. Is it the ribbon cables, the dmd board ,or,, ? Thanks

Sounds like one of the ribbon cables to me. Wiggle on each end.

#1902 3 years ago

See if you can swap the ends of both ribbon cables to see if it improves at all.

The 5volt 2 pin connector at the DMD controller board is another potential problem.

#1922 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Hey All! Having issues with the display on Batman. It will be fine for a few games and then just goes blank. I’ve unplugged and reattached connectors, but same issue happens...will be fine for a while and then goes blank. Any suggestions where to start?

Just try wiggling the ribbon cable on both ends next time to see it helps at all. May even try to clean the ribbon cable connections at the board with some alcohol and a new toothbrush is what I like to use to scrub the pins.

Do you have an original Data East power supply installed? Might be time to replace the smaller capacitors on the board.

1 week later
#1938 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Picked up a project TMNT and I need a 128x16 display for it. If you have one laying around that works PM. Thanks!

Post the high voltage readings from -112v, -100v, and 68v. If any are low, that also can result in what appears to be a failed DMD.

#1941 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I am missing the whole display.. I ordered a new power supply too.

Long term that seems best. Capacitors on the original power supply definitely in need of replacement.

#1943 3 years ago
Quoted from swfour:

Hello, new DE owner - Tommy. Love it except...
I think I'm hitting the Skill Shot but the display reads "Skill Shot Missed" and gives me only 1 Mil. points rather than higher (20Mil I think). Weird thing is, when the ball drops in regular play I'm getting points so the ball is getting read. Somehow, I'm not getting Skill Shot. Any ideas?
Not a timing issue - I place a ball immediately in the hole. Still, "Skill Shot Missed". Some setup issue maybe? I don't see a Skill Shot adjustment.

If you are hitting it into the parachute drop hole, then the switch must not be working where the ball drops under the playfield.

1 week later
#1956 3 years ago
Quoted from etnfrd67:

Hello I have a Rocky and Bullwinkle that keeps blowing the slow blow 8 amp fuse. Only a few gi and back box lights go on and non dmd. What could be going on? I tested the bridge rectifier I had all .5 except one that .48 could it be a bad rectifier?

No. The spec range is from .4 to .6v so that is good. Can you post a picture of all the boards in the backbox?

Can you disconnect the DMD power connector and try again?
What work did you do before it started blowing out? Or did you get it like this?

#1958 3 years ago
Quoted from etnfrd67:

I got it that way had the blown fuse in it replaced it an blew right away again. It's at the shop so I can grab some pics when I go there again.

To be sure, you tested the Bridge Rectifier on the right with the white/red striped wire? That shows to go to 25v solenoids. Forget about unplugging the DMD power connector. This 25v seems to only go to the saw motor and to the relay board that drives that motor. Q30 on the CPU tells the relay when to turn on. With power off, can you ohm from the tab of Q30 to the board ground (mounting screw would be find). Compare that resistance to another next to it. If Q30 is much lower resistance than another next to it, then replace Q30.

Another test you could do is to unplug CN12. If the 8amp fuse does not blow, that will be another indication that Q30 is shorted. If it does blow, you have an issue with the saw motor or the motor relay board.

Top diagram was taken from foldout page 45 of the manual. Bottom diagram was taken from page 29. https://www.ipdb.org/files/23/Data_East_1993_Adventures_of_Rocky_and_Bullwinkle_and_Friends_Full_Manual.pdf
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1964 3 years ago
Quoted from etnfrd67:

Rechecked the bridge rectifier .48 on all 4 posts.

Are you testing the left or right bridge rectifier?

The left one should be going to the insert lamps and I think 12v to the DMD.

No broken wires on either bridge rectifier?

#1966 3 years ago
Quoted from etnfrd67:

The right side that has the white and red wires going to it. No broken wires solid connection.

Just making sure. Currently trying to correlate the insert with the left bridge rectifier causing the DMD and insert lamps issues. I have seen fuses fail before when turned on but ohm out ok when the game is off.

#1968 3 years ago

It looks like the 25v feeds that fuse so you’ll want to check everything that runs at 34v that the bridge supplies.

That is a short summary of what I said in post #1958 and only feeds the saw motor.
Problem is I only ever seen a blown fuse for the left side to take out the DMD and the insert lamps.

Basically, suggests there are 2 issues here.

#1970 3 years ago

That’s the way these go. Always a bunch of issues to fix. Took a look at the pictures and one of the connectors on the power board is a different color. Was it replaced? Always triple check prior work.

Nothing unusual to have CN8 replaced. It will be rare for any DE game not to had it replaced by now.

#1971 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah that's what I am thinking, strange.. Update... Called K-arcade and they said the chip needs to be set to spots back from the front and it will work. Did that now and it works!
[quoted image]

Would be proactive of them to put a piece of paper with the display ROM or post about it on their website before you order so the person is aware. It is almost like they hope you install it wrong, damage it and buy another.

#1972 3 years ago
Quoted from etnfrd67:

The right side that has the white and red wires going to it. No broken wires solid connection.

Did you do this yet since you have CN12 disconnected? Trying to help determine the original cause of the BR2 fuse blowing out.

With power off, can you ohm from the tab of Q30 to the board ground (mounting screw would be find). Compare that resistance to another next to it. If Q30 is much lower resistance than another next to it, then replace Q30.

Also, can you replace the BR1 fuse? I not seen anything in 10 years other than this fuse cause a problem to the DMD along with the insert lamps.

2 weeks later
#1986 3 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I posted this in the DE SW group, but am repeating here for possible additional input point of view.
On my DE Star Wars, just recently in attract mode, my machine will suddenly say “May the force be with you.” Sometimes it will repeat it immediately. I’ve owned this machine 20+ years and it has never done that before. Played a game recently and during the game got a random”May the force be with you,” and all of the game music sounds stopped (other game sounds still played). After the ball drains, the music comes on again. Any ideas what might be going on?

Measure your 5v, 12v and -12v on the power supply. If you have an original DE power supply, it will be time for new capacitors.

#1994 3 years ago

My Batman has been having an occational issue with the sound card rebooting in the middle of a game. I suspect it may be the ribbon cable, but I wanted to run another possibility past the group

Try reseating both ends of the sound board ribbon cable. If that does not help,

Measure your 5v, 12v and -12v on the power supply. If you have an original DE power supply, it will be time for new capacitors.

#1996 3 years ago

I think solved my problem. One of the caps on the sound board puked all over the power connection. I replaced the cap (along with a few others on the board), and it seems to be working fine now.

That is also the same type of problem the smaller caps will cause on the power supply. It is well documented in Pinwiki for several different faults. You'll want to replace them soon.

#1998 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is there a DE parts list anywhere that lists which caps, SCRs, and resistors part numbers to use?
Thanks

Dont know of any SCRs on the board. I dont ever replace any resistors or diodes on the power supply unless the high voltage fails. Capacitors are what needs to be changed currently. Someone does sell a DE power supply cap kit, but I can't recall off hand. I normally get the individual capacitors from Great Plains electronics. The capacitors are listed in the manual on the schematic. I always refer to it when ordering capacitors.

#2000 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks. I'm still learning to read schematics. I see the values now. I need to work up an order with Ed.

Most of the capacitor values can be seen pretty easily on the sides of the parts, once the board is out of the game.

#2004 3 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

Rottendog power board installed (before me). All fuses check good.

Report the voltages on the power supply. There are several test points.

I am under assumption (at this point) that the power supply went down, took out audio board components.

May only be an issue with the power supply. If you lose 12v going to the sound board, you will lose the sound as well. Think of when your car battery goes out, almost always nothing else is damaged.

#2006 3 years ago

-14.2v
+12.75v
+5.01v
On the power supply. Rottendog replacement. This is with audio board pulled.

Definitely should test with the sound board plugged in. There is a voltage that is generated on the sound board, from what I recall. I dont have a chance to check the schematic until later tonight.

3 weeks later
#2025 3 years ago

Half size ColorDMD start shipping this week!!! Batman is the first one up to get colorized!! Other 4 are planned to be done by end of 2020.

https://mailchi.mp/53dc7b89cdb6/colordmd-announces-new-platform-for-128x16-dmd-games?e=c9c02c6747&fbclid=IwAR2goWqC7mvJakVdfEYidqE1xRYSTYMYnvAgjoLvKU9vh0wj1Ry8mJB-8z0

#2033 3 years ago
pasted_image.pngpasted_image.png
1 month later
#2097 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Nope they're the same length ...here is a pic of mine
[quoted image]

It's a "bare foot" long. Get it?

1 week later
#2102 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Looking for another set of eyes for my Tommy. Owned the machine 2 years, added a color DMD over a year ago with no issues. Game has not moved ...
Now when the game has been on for over 45 minutes the DMD will start flaking out with garage on the DMD. I’ve reseated all connections from the DMD to the boards; it got a little better, but not 100%. The boards are clean with no corrosion; I’m thinking ribbon cable, but open to input from others much smarter than me
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nou8y6x8kz0425s/TommyDMDJacked.MOV?dl=0

Try reseating the ribbon cable and the 2 white connectors to the DMD power wires on the back the DMD panels themselves.

1 month later
#2146 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

question regarding backbox bolts -- did the DE machines original ship with these? reading the manuals for both my games, it just mentions the Allen wrench backbox latch and not proper bolts.
Do you guys tend to prefer adding backbox bolts? 2 per backbox?
Would something like the Williams Bally 2'' wing bolt work ok - or rather a 3/8's carriage bolt with nut and washer be preferable?

Regarding your collection of DE Batman and DE JP, they only have the roto latch, no inside backbox bolts as you can see there are no holes in the base of the backbox. Sega and Stern used this latch all thru SAM games. I miss it on Spike games.

#2153 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

I know that this is the Data East club, but is there anyone that could help me with a Sega Frankenstein issue?
It does have the same board set as Data East games and this club has way more members
If it is not okay to post this here, please ignore haha

There is a dedicated Frankenstain club. Kinda hard to be able take measurements without having a game. Is there a transistor that turns on that motor or a relay board to make the head move? If so, have you changed that transistor?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mary-shelleys-frankenstein-owners-club-ideas-and-info

4 weeks later
#2178 3 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Been doing a cabinet overhaul and decal install on a TFtC. Playfield obviously removed for the project. Game played fine prior. Reinstalled playfield and fired it up. I have no controlled lamps (inserts, Etc.) and its blowing the 8A slo blo fuse (blue white) wires above the bridge rectifier. I don't visably find a short. I replaced both bridge rectifiers last night, but the problem continues. These two boards are installed. If I try a 5A circuit breaker on the bridge fuse it pops right off. If I try a 20A circuit breaker, fuse F4 on the Rottendog will blow. Any other directions to troubleshoot?

You have to use a 5Amp circuit breaker for a fuse location that is 5Amp. Otherwise, you are likely to do some serious damage, if you have not already.

1 month later
#2193 3 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Playing data East Simpsons last night and the knocker went off when I got the special but then I thought I heard another pop and now I have no bass sounds. The cabinet speaker is working, both backbox speakers are working, the game plays fine but the sound is very high pitched and tinny sounding. I have not had much experience with sound issues so not sure where to start, any guesses as to what I would start looking at as the culprit?

Start by posting a picture of the sound board.

#2197 3 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I don’t see any leaky or bulged deformed caps.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is what I was hoping to see.

With power off, rotate the volume control pot back and forth several times and try again.

#2199 3 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Wow that’s weird it’s working fine! Thanks!
What do you think would have caused this?

This happened to me before. Bad/dirty contacts inside the pot. You may want to get some contact cleaner and spray inside it and rotate it back and forth again.

1 month later
#2229 3 years ago

Have you tried with power off... crank the volume control back and forth several times and try it again?

Any help at all?
If not, press on all socketed parts on the sound board, reseat all connectors and the ribbon cable at the sound board and at the CPU board.

#2233 3 years ago

Have you tried with power off... crank the volume control back and forth several times and try it again?

This is the only thing I did not see you comment on.

May even try with power on. Lift up on the pot shaft and turn slowly back and forth and do the same pushing down. If the volume control is busted, this may show that you can prove it.

Also check to see if the volume pot has a brown wire. Suggest unplugging the game since AC power is in there and is exposed at th e end of the wires where soldered.

#2237 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperNTS:

Did try to adjust the pot with power on and off- I actually replaced the pot initially as well, so that is new
3 Wires on there- black - red - white
I did check the pot and also put a meter on it and verified it was working properly directly at the pot and at the connection to the sound board.
10KOhm between the black and red legs, and varied from 10K to 0 when measured from white wire to black and white wire to red.

Excellent. Can we see a picture of the sound board ribbon cable connected on both ends and the CPU board? I know I had issues with both at one time or another.

CPU board is another possibility of the fault. Do you have another one you can try in the game?

2 weeks later
#2270 3 years ago

PSA for newer DE games. There is a rubber bungee cord in the game to hold the playfield vertical so you can work on it. It is very tough to pull on to connect, but worth it to work on it this way. I'm not sure if the older DE games, like Robocop, has it or not.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#2291 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I have a question on a Data East Star Wars I just picked up. The sound works fine, except during game over it continually plays the Star Wars theme music. It never really stops, except possibly for a second or two when a DMD animation takes place. Then back to the constant repeating music. Anybody have any thoughts? Are the sounds triggered by a transistor, in which case maybe I have a transistor shorted on?

With power off, reseat the sound board ribbon cable at the sound board and at the CPU board.

#2296 3 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

I have intermittent issue with my color dmd and tftc. DMD goes back to red, than color, red etc....
Which cable should be the issue?

It can be either ribbon cable from the CPU board to the DMD controller or the short one from the DMD controller board to the DMD. Reseat both on both ends.

#2300 3 years ago
Quoted from Paseb:

could it be the special plug/connector on top left ? i had an hard time installing it

Top left of what?

#2302 3 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

Ordered a new board from the pinball wizard and now the display is super bright and clean.
[quoted image]

Looks blurry to me.

4 weeks later
#2322 3 years ago

Can someone measure and post the dimensions of the backbox glass for me? My JP project was missing lots of parts and the glass is one of them. I need to place an order for the glass, as I think this is now the last thing I need.

Any othese these will work since they a have the same size speaker panel.
DE Jurassic Park, DE Star Wars, Tommy, or Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Thanks!

#2324 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

It looks like 22.5” X 26” for my JP

and the thickness of the glass?

#2331 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

It looks like 22.5” X 26” for my JP

Quoted from Billc479:

Glass appears to be just a tad under 3/16th" thick

Thank you very much. New clear glass ordered through a local glass company.

3 weeks later
#2366 2 years ago
Screenshot_20210515-080746_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210515-080746_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2374 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Having reset issues with my Rocky and Bullwinkle.
I've replaced C2 & C3, and D2 & D3 a year ago, and still a year later it's acting up. Some seriously toasted traces CN1 (unable to be repaired). Should I just get an X-Pin board or do we think it's fixable?

Having trace damage, sounds like a good reason to install a Xpin power supply.

1 week later
#2383 2 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Now I'm just questioning the spring attachment. I think it just loops around that pivot at the top.

Yes. Install and enjoy your game again.

#2388 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

BUT it's a bad day when you realize you needed to order the extension cable but didn't order it because it didn't look like the right connector type. Anybody know the item number for the 4 pin pointed molex connector for the GI line?

Are you able to pull your cabinet wiring up in order for the original GI wires to plug in?

XP-WMSGI-EXT just extends the length of wire of what currently is in the game.

#2390 2 years ago

These are at Great Plains Electronics. You can normally find them at Mouser.com using those same part numbers. Mouser is normally my 2nd choice.
Screenshot_20210602-095614_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210602-095614_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

#2392 2 years ago

We are here to help. At least that GI cable does not need to be plugged in for you to continue to test out your game.

#2393 2 years ago

Oh, you know, I just realized that you "could" remove that male board mounted connector from the Xpin board, then remove the wire harness from the original power supply and solder it in place of the new board connector on the Xpin board. So you have the pigtail soldered in the board just like the original was. Then you wouldn't need an extension cable. The original Xpin power supply were shipped this way with a pigtail already soldered onto the board just like the original. I have no clue why they wanted to go the route of the mounted connector.

#2402 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

i isually just have to reseat the 5v connection and it goes back to working

Sounds like where the issue is. Replace or try to resolder that 2 power connector on the board and repin the wired connector.

Pretty common failure, though not always that but sounds like it is in your case.

One of the ribbon cables is also a possibility.

#2404 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Thanks. I’ll get a new set of ribbon cables first to try to rule that out

But you are seeing good results when you reset that power connector. As mentioned, highly likely the issue. I had seen this on several games I had repaired.

#2406 2 years ago

Kinks in the ribbon cable definitely are not good. Wires do not like sharp bends. Can be combination of both as well. Should plan on redoing the 5v power connector as well.

#2418 2 years ago

Very nice. Still consider the 2 pin power connector next before you have an issue with it. Play ball !!

#2420 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Will do. Question: I heated up the solder for the two header pins once before to the point it liquified. Is that all there is to it or was there more I should have done?

That may be ok for the board, but I normally replace those board pins. Repinning the wired connector that mates to it will be important. Mainly because of the wires can actually have broken strands of wire from being bent over the years being unplugged/plugged in.

#2422 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Ok thanks for clarifying. Any idea what tool I need to repin the connector? Can I use same connector or should I get a new one? Thanks for the help

As always, best to do the Molex crimped pins really for a better connection. Might be good to get a friend to bring over tools and pins to redo it. That way you can see it done. Could be a while before you need to redo another future repinning. Requires cutters, crimper and wire strippers along with connector housing and pins.

Wish I was closer!

2 months later
#2438 2 years ago
Quoted from bamboozer:

After moving my Last Action Hero I'm having trouble tracking down what could be causing my DMD to "flicker" (see YouTube video below). What I have tried so far...
replaced capacitors on power supply board
repinned power supply connector (CN1)
replaced 26 pin ribbon connector
reflowed soder on suspect joints
Before taking a chance on a color DMD I wanted to see if I could get the original back in working shape. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

What do -112v, -100v, 62v measure at the DMD power connector? Your voltages can be low at the power supply even though you did change the capacitors

2 weeks later
#2444 2 years ago
Quoted from nealk77:

Apologies if this has been answered before, although I didn't see it anywhere....
So many options out there now for new playfields, hard tops, and overlays, but why no love for Data East? Just wondering if there's any reason you don't see DE playfield replacements.
I'm fixing up a beat-up Simpsons with a very terrible playfield. I'd even settle for an overlay at this point.

We, as the consumer, cannot answer for what companies decide to release.

2 months later
#2483 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright I've got a weird general illumination problem I am trying to figure out. Typically its a burned connector or reflow solder type fix. Not this time, I replace the power supply and redid the GI connector on the power supply. Also checked all fuses, swap lamp board with new one, redid connector on lamp board. Still no GI can't figure out what's going on.. Any thought guys?

Lamp board?

What game?

There is a connector in later Data East games that also likes to burn on the PPB board and/or one or more of the 4 blown fuses at the top left corner of the board.

1 week later
#2491 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

I just finished my LW3 refurbishment and everything worked great. I put the glass in to wrap things up and then I turned it on again and saw lots of screen “noise” on the DMD. I suspected a potential voltage issue but that all checks out normal so far. I had not seen anything like this issue so far. Any thoughts?

That looks like your high voltage is getting to be too high. Can you measure the -112v, -100, and 62 volts on the DMD power connector?

I suspect your -112v is -124v or higher.

#2495 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

It is an aftermarket board. I didn't purchase it but it's a pin tek: https://ksarcade.net/pin-tek-data-east-power-supply-520-5047-00.html
I do still have the original but it is not in good shape. Been hacked up pretty badly.

I never heard of that pintek. Maybe contact K's Arcade to get it repaired or replaced. Chance they can recommend a part replacement since I don't see a schematic on it.

#2505 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

[quoted image]
So before I plugged in the board for the second time, I did have 50v at plug CN2-9/8, and 10v on CN2-7/6. Coil still OHMS out at 4.7. Flipper board LED lights red when flipper button is pressed even with F1 Fuse blown and TIP36 dead. I've replaced all TIPS but now I'm scratching my head as to why I only got two good flips before it blew the fuse again.
Don't want to plug it in again since I have to be missing something. Hoping the PROS can possibly point me in the right direction.
Really appreciate all thoughts on this. Thanks!

Anytime I see the TIP36 shorted and blowing a fuse on the original DE flipper board, is because the TIP32(c?) with it also has an issue.

#2511 2 years ago

Could you post a picture of the front side of the flipper board?

#2515 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

The coil measured OK with and without diode...is that valid testing?

Valid enough to say the diode is not shorted. A good diode will measure whatever is in parallel with it. In this case the coil is much lower resistance, so the diode will measure the same resistance as the coil being in parallel. If the coil measures anything less than 2 ohms, when it should be about 4 ohms, highly likely your coil diode is shorted.

If a coil is measuring half of what it should, then coil is shorted, even if you cannot see a burn mark on the coil wrapper. Most times there is more than one of the same coil number in the game, so you can compare your resistance to another one having the same coil number.

#2518 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Bulk purchase from Amazon.

What was in the bulk purchase?

In diode test, what are these measurements? .4-.6v ?

#2521 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Bulk purchase from amazon were only 1n4004 diodes

Should not need to remove the diodes to test them. Compare results to the other flipper circuit on the board.

D4 and D5 are actually 1N4502. Did you replace them with 1N4004? Not all diodes are created equal. D1 and D3 are 1N4004 though.

Also test Q6 for a short, just curious about it since the wires were reversed at the coil.

Screenshot_20211209-011553_Hancom Office S Viewer (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211209-011553_Hancom Office S Viewer (resized).jpg

#2526 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

So I just compared Q6 to Q8 without removing them and they have the same values. Here's how I tested, I put DMM on Diode mode, put red lead on center post, black on outside posts. Black lead on center post and red on outer posts I get values of 1. Hope that is a valid way of testing, trying to learn but still not confident I doing it completely correct.

Swap the meter leads testing the Q6.

#2528 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Sorry for being thick, not sure how you want me to test it. I did do red on center black on outside and get values of 765 and 797 for Q6. Then I did black on center and red on outside and get values of 1. Q8 values for red center black outside are 766 and 756. Q8 values with black on center and red outside = 1.

Red on center is correct. Transistors have a diode within, so a 1 was telling me the leads were reversed.

Q6 seems ok.

1 month later
#2566 2 years ago
Quoted from null:

My BTTF had a non-volatile RAM chip installed when I bought it. However, once on a while when I power it up, it says there's a memory error and has me open the coin door. It then resets everything to factory defaults.
I reseated the NVRAM several times assuming there might have been some oxidization on one of the pins, but it still happened after that. I couldn't see any evidence of corrosion or damage on the battery holder or the PCB, but perhaps I didn't look hard enough.
Anybody had similar issues? I might just buy a new NVRAM and see if that solves it.

Post a picture of that "NVRAM" please.

#2567 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Thanks all.
I am starting to suspect I have power issues.
Just a theory.
My wife noticed today that sometimes the flippers become sluggish and can’t even shoot a ball properly. Same with the plunger that cannot even get the ball out on the playfield - sometimes.
Also noticed absolutely zero flipper action on both left and right at the same time and also long delays from button push until flipper activates.
I need to try it myself but I am starting to suspect power issues here… But it feels like something else should go before this occurs but I haven’t dealt with power boards at all before so I don’t know what I’m talking about.
Does my hypothesis make any sense or am I completely lost in the wild?

Sounds like EOS switch issues to me. Clean the EOS switch contacts with a dollar bill, squeezing tightly as you pull the bill through. I would do it a few times. Then adjust both EOS switches, making sure the long leaf blade makes the small leaf blade of the switch move a bit when back down at the resting position. You can also make sure with continuity test, on the solder tab of the EOS switch, that it is zero ohms. If it still above one ohm, clean the contacts again.

#2570 2 years ago
Quoted from null:

Looks like a RAMTRON FM16W08-SG on an ordinary TSSOP breakout board.
Nevermind the bent pin, that was my fault when taking it out.

I had one of those no name brand (board labeling) on a Swemmer MPU fail recently.

Can try this one. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RAMTRON

The 6264 NVRAM that I use from Pinitech is out of stock right now. I never had issues with these.

3 weeks later
#2610 2 years ago
Quoted from petrieslastword:

Whether a ball or my finger it works perfectly. It's just the three through switches that have the odd delay. I believe I'm occasionally getting the second ball fired out because of that delay.

Be sure the trough kickout arm is not coming back down and rubbing on the 1st trough switch keeping it closed, which will make the game think the ball is still there.

Quoted from petrieslastword:

I tried replacing all of the capacitors on those switches

Sure you don't mean diode?

1 month later
#2639 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Riddle me this: are data east BSMT200 sound boards interchangeable? I've got a baywatch with a bad sound board and since that board is so rare, wondering if I can replace it with a 520-5050 or even a 520-5002 style board.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#BSMT_2000_Sound_Board_Compatibility

Send it out for repair. ChrisHibler or https://www.coinopcauldron.com/brepairs.html are good choices as some others.

2 weeks later
#2647 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I have a couple Stern Simpsons dmds, don’t know if it’s the same one or not. They’ll fit into my Williams Dracula.

No. Batman is only half as tall.

2 weeks later
#2656 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi all,
Does anyone know if BTTF should have a mini post between the flippers. It seems all of the pics I see have one, but my machine does not, although there is a divot for a post. Was that at the discretion of the operator or is my machine just missing the post?
Thanks

I would leave it out.

#2658 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sticky switch. Replace them.

What switch?

#2662 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Trough, shooter lane, or both.

You must had misquoted someone, as DropTarget was asking about the mini post.

#2663 1 year ago
Quoted from redmerlin:

Does anyone have a list of what rubbers are needed to redo a DE Batman? Just picked up a project and want to redo it with Titan but they don't have a 'kit' listed

Try here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-batman-club-og-batman-

#2664 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi all,
Does anyone know if BTTF should have a mini post between the flippers. It seems all of the pics I see have one, but my machine does not, although there is a divot for a post. Was that at the discretion of the operator or is my machine just missing the post?
Thanks

More game specific questions like that, you can reach more people in the BTTF club thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf-club-whoa-this-is-heavy

2 weeks later
3 weeks later
#2690 1 year ago
Quoted from oradke:

I have random resets in my LAH. Already exchanged the PDB. Any suggestion on further troubleshooting? I do have a PinSound and ColorDMD, but they‘ve been in there for years. Nothing recently added.

I do not know what you refer to on PDB. Only WPC has a power driver board. You mean MPU or Power Supply?

Most common issues for resets on DE games are capacitors on the original power supply and a burnt CN1 going to it.

#2692 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Looking for a black lockdown bar for a DE Simpsons machine.
Let me know if you have one available.
Thanks!
Chris

Fit my DE JP perfectly. Game is on loan so I can't check the fit on my DE Simpsons at this time.
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-black-front-molding-lockdown-bar-no-tournament-button-hole.html

#2694 1 year ago

One day I will test it out on the Simpsons. 500-5021-10 shows in the manual also on DE JP and the one from Pinball Life functions just fine on JP.

#2697 1 year ago
Quoted from oradke:

Sorry, I mean the power supply board. I got a brand new replacement (rottendog), but resets still happen.

Again, are there burnt pins on CN1 (3x4) wired connector? Easy to tell with the housing having been discolored.

Pictures of your borads are helpful too.

Measuring the 5v and +12v on the power supply are needed at this time too.

3 months later
#2721 1 year ago

Classic Playfield Reproductions
·
New Data East STAR WARS Playfield Now Available!
First time available in the hobby EVER.....
https://classicplayfields.com/.../pinball.../starwars-2/

2 weeks later
#2734 1 year ago
Quoted from MJW:

Anyone sell data East glass dust cover?
Someone said Etsy but can’t find that or Williams.

Yoga mats

3 weeks later
#2750 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Yes, original power supply, Never been serviced. From the front, there doest appear to be any damage, I'll pull out the board and see what I can see.
Could a bad cap/trace cause the sound issue? It's almost as though the sequence gets interrupted and then starts over.
Edit: added pictures.[quoted image][quoted image]

Because I seen this before, until you get these capacitors replaced, you should not turn the game back on. If the 5 volts dips too low, it will cause all coils to fire all at once when you turn the game on and you'll have fuse blow and quite possible, short out some transistors as well.

I seen all these leak on different games, so all 4 should be replaced now.
C1 1000uf 25v
C2 100uf 25v
C3 47uf 63V
C7 330uf 25v

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Missing_5VDC

Make sure you do not have any burns pins at CN1.

#2751 1 year ago

Black Friday...perfect day to play some pinball.

#2755 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Thanks,
I just got home with replacement caps and diodes, it appears that D1 is open. Bridge rectifiers are fine.
Fingers crossed.

I never seen D1 open. You are using the diode test?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 18.95
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

266 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinballmaniac40. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=pinballmaniac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.