• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballjah.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1242 4 years ago

Hoping to find someone that has experienced choppy sound on a Data East pinball with a Pinsound card installed and has purchased their Data East power booster cables. Have some sound issues with my GnR right now.

Have tested the Pinsound card in another game and it works fine. Let me know if anyone has purchased this item and the results. Thanks for the help.

1 week later
#1247 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice on the Data East Power Booster cable. Have ordered one from Pinsound. Now to figure out my flipper issue on my GnR. Not the flipper board as I tried it on a friend's game and no issues and all of the fuses check out ok. Both are machine gunning. Thanks.

#1250 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

Can you describe it in more detail? perhaps post a short vid?

Flippers are stuttering, started with right, then left (right was then working fine) and now both. Thanks for the help.

1 month later
#1331 4 years ago

Have just puchased a Tommy with a start up problem. I have no idea where to start with this issue.

Turn the game on and lights turn on, on the playfield and DMD has a scrambled image and there is a hissing sound. Game will not start up.

I disconnected the power to the DMD and when I turn it on, get the initial sound on start up (just a single sound for a second or two) and no hissing sound anymore. But game will not turn on.

I have checked the fuses in the head and they are all good. Previous owner put in a new PinX power board but that did not solve the problem.

Any suggestions on things to check? I do have a GnR Data East as well if that helps for testing parts. I have a tech coming over and wanted to give him some ideas on things to check for. The DMD was tested in another game and apparently it worked fine.

Thanks for the help!

#1335 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Following. Please keep us updated as things progress. Good luck!

Thanks. Hoping someone has had a similar issue before. Not sure where to start.

#1336 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Have just puchased a Tommy with a start up problem. I have no idea where to start with this issue.
Turn the game on and lights turn on, on the playfield and DMD has a scrambled image and there is a hissing sound. Game will not start up.
I disconnected the power to the DMD and when I turn it on, get the initial sound on start up (just a single sound for a second or two) and no hissing sound anymore. But game will not turn on.
I have checked the fuses in the head and they are all good. Previous owner put in a new PinX power board but that did not solve the problem.
Any suggestions on things to check? I do have a GnR Data East as well if that helps for testing parts. I have a tech coming over and wanted to give him some ideas on things to check for. The DMD was tested in another game and apparently it worked fine.
Thanks for the help!

I noticed tonight that CN1 had damage to pins 1-12 and also the connector has burn marks. So maybe something is causing these pins to burn out. Does anyone know what these pins control and any likely causes to look at? Thanks for your help. Jim

Cn1 1 (resized).jpgCn1 1 (resized).jpgCn1 2 (resized).jpgCn1 2 (resized).jpg
#1338 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I'm pretty sure pin 12 is ground. You need to replace both connectors and pins and start again.

I think the connector was replaced when the new power board was put in and it is again burnt at pins 10-12. Is there an underlying problem that is causing the pins to burn in the first place? Thanks for the help. Jim

#1342 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’ve stated this earlier in other DE threads, that connector is the ground for your GI. The connectors used were not rated for the amperage it draws and they get hot as hell. Every single Data East game I’ve bought has had that and the other connectors burnt right off. My Checkpoint had it so bad it desoldered the connector right off the board. Replace the GI with LEDs and you won’t have that issue again.

Thanks for the details. Do you recall what part of the game would not function when CN1 was damaged? Did it impact the DMD working or the ball ejection?

Sometimes these problems just take a little common sense to figure out. I removed CN2 (as I read in another post this would potentially help) and the playfield and translite lights stayed on. Then it dawned on me with the replacement of the power supply board, maybe the game was reaet to the factory defaults. So I played with the coin slot and heard what appeared to be a credit added. Game would then start but no ball would eject.

Does anyone know how to add a credit manually to the game? I cannot set it to freeplay as DMD is still not working. Thanks for the help.

#1343 4 years ago

Replace the GI with LEDs and you won’t have that issue again.

So I need to replace all the bulbs in the playfield or it will keep shorting? Thanks again. Jim

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1345 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Connector and pin failures are very common on DE games related to the GI circuits. On my Time Machine I had to replace the burned up GI connectors and pins and installed LEDs.[quoted image][quoted image]

That is really fried! Sounds like all LEDs on the game is the best way to go. Not sure it will solve the DMD issue. Thanks for the help.

#1348 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I noticed tonight that CN1 had damage to pins 1-12 and also the connector has burn marks. So maybe something is causing these pins to burn out. Does anyone know what these pins control and any likely causes to look at? Thanks for your help. Jim[quoted image][quoted image]

So an update on DMD power issues and game not working. The tech replaced pins 10-12 in CN1 and I bypassed the DMD issue a little. I had bought a LED colordmd for the game and apparently this dmd draws less power than the original. So after installing the color dmd, it appears fine. There was one section of the powerboard that was not drawing enough power when tested. If anyone wants specifics, I can ask the tech for more details.

The game did restart one time during gameplay but that was before replacing the three pins in CN1.

Thanks for all the help getting the game up and running! Jim

#1349 4 years ago

Any recommended flipper button covers for Data East games? Thinking the clear ones would be best. Thanks.

#1355 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I think it would be great to post all the specifics for owners that might have this problem come up in the future. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

This was an issue with the DMD not working properly (scrambled lines on the display) and not getting enough power. Changed the power board to an Xpin power board and there appeared to be burned pins 10/11/12 at CN1 on the power board.

Here is what my tech said:

The only issue we found was the -98v was low right off the power supply at -89v. All the VAC from the transformer tested good as does the voltage coming into CN1.

#1356 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

This was an issue with the DMD not working properly (scrambled lines on the display) and not getting enough power. Changed the power board to an Xpin power board and there appeared to be burned pins 10/11/12 at CN1 on the power board.
Here is what my tech said:
The only issue we found was the -98v was low right off the power supply at -89v. All the VAC from the transformer tested good as does the voltage coming into CN1.

#1358 4 years ago

Told ya! The power supply on Data East games need to be rebuilt. They’re all dying right now. New caps and it’s good as new!

Thanks for the help. Now I am having a ball eject issue. Keep getting an error message that there are Too Many Balls. The ball ejection coil keeps firing off after a ball enters the shooter lane. Also it fires off before you start a new game. The plastic below the coil looks damaged, maybe from resting the playfield on the top of the cabinet.

Any ideas? Thanks.

#1368 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Picture of this would help.
Never seen a Too Many Balls error message show on any DE game display. How many balls you have in the trough?
It sounds like the game is doing a ball search because it thinks it never kicked a ball up to the shooter lane, where the game is expecting it to be. At the very least, it sounds like the shooter lane switch is not registering. I suggest testing all the switches in the game (including all trough switches) in the switch test as it will help to know if it is a single switch error, a whole row not registering, or a whole column of switches not registering. Not knowing the details, we can continue to guess where the problem lies.

Here is a short video that shows the issue. When I turn on the game, ball eject coil will shot about five times, then mechanism in shooter lane that shoots the ball goes off, which stops the coil from triggering. When I start the game, ball will eject properly and then ejection coil starts to shot again.

As mentioned, there is some damage to the bottom of the coil but the resister seems to be intact. Thanks for the help!

8605F297-5BBF-4996-8525-241566E02E8A (resized).jpeg8605F297-5BBF-4996-8525-241566E02E8A (resized).jpeg

#1370 4 years ago

That is a diode on the coil, notes resistor.
I will wait for the results of the switch test.

Thanks for the correction. I will see if I can get the switch test to work. I know the trough clean function doesn't work. Balls remain in the trough.

#1372 4 years ago

Are you saying the coil is not firing? If so, will it fire in the solenoid test?

The coil fires in the trough clear mode but no balls come out.

#1373 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the correction. I will see if I can get the switch test to work. I know the trough clean function doesn't work. Balls remain in the trough.

I ran the test but not sure how to interpret the results. Didn't indicate any errors, that I could see. How would it indicate if there was a problem? Thanks.

#1378 4 years ago

I bought this metal saw horse at Home Depot. Hold 1,000 pounds. Just slide it under the front of the game to hold up the front legs. I put some felt pads on the top.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdx-1-compartment-folding-steel-sawhorse/1001018661

7A7D9F45-12FC-4D3B-A2AD-D0030E0FB552 (resized).png7A7D9F45-12FC-4D3B-A2AD-D0030E0FB552 (resized).png
#1382 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Here is a short video that shows the issue. When I turn on the game, ball eject coil will shot about five times, then mechanism in shooter lane that shoots the ball goes off, which stops the coil from triggering. When I start the game, ball will eject properly and then ejection coil starts to shot again.
As mentioned, there is some damage to the bottom of the coil but the resister seems to be intact. Thanks for the help!

[quoted image]

I was able to figure out my ball eject issue, for those that may come across the same issue down the road. When I started the game, the ball eject coil would fire off five times and also after the ball would launch. Also, game would stall with multi ball as game was not registering that ball was over. Also got error message 'Too many balls' and switch test indicated there were 7 balls.

The issue was that metal arm in the photo below. It had somehow got stuck behind the metal plate in front of it so it was not properly registering that a ball was ready to be ejected. Once I pushed it past the metal plate, closer to the balls, the game functioned perfectly.

D15E356A-671A-4026-A187-C980E161A4BB (resized).jpegD15E356A-671A-4026-A187-C980E161A4BB (resized).jpeg

#1390 4 years ago

Anyone with a Tommy, I just finished a Who Pinsound orchestration for Tommy. The link is below.

Added some original Who songs to JULIEN42's Tommy orchestration. Songs included:

- Who Are You, The Seeker, My Generation, Heaven and Hell, Won't Get Fooled Again, Magic Bus, Behind Blue Eyes, Baby O'Riley, Love Reign Over Me, You Better You Bet, Smash the Mirror, Were Not Going to Take It.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/281-the-who-greatest_pinballjah/

1 month later
#1468 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Remember to protect your game for spontanious fire!
Put in fuses before the rectifiers in the back box.
Or you can use a Bridge Board.
More info, goto my website http://www.inkochnito.nl and click on the Bridge Board image (top left image).
Peter

Thanks for this info. You recommend this board in home use games? I have had power issues in my Tommy previously. I assume he sells them? Thanks for the help.

4 weeks later
#1478 4 years ago

Is there a Stern general thread similar to this? Thanks.

#1484 4 years ago

I don't see any Stern games listed in your collection.

Need to update it. AC/DC pro and Elvis. Pretty well have 2 DE, 2 Ballys, 2 Williams and 2 Stern. Thanks.

1 month later
#1553 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Hey Guys,
Has anyone here added spotlights to their Data East playfield? I'm trying to research a good spotlight kit for my TMNT pin. Comet has some nice kits with single and double options. Do you guys have any recommendations for this particular pin? My initial thought is adding one spotlight at the top of each pop bumper where both ramps attach, and have them point towards middle of playfield, either at all 4 turtles, and/or the shredder head. I know this is all a matter of opinion, but it's nice to know what you all have tried out so far.
Thanks![quoted image]

I use a double spotlight on my Tommy. Think it came from Comet.

#1554 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Thanks to this group, I was able to swap my TMNT mpu battery holder with Frank's Lithium battery upgrade. Thanks, Guys!!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

How hard was the install? Thanks

#1555 4 years ago

Having issues with my right flipper on GnR. Moves very slow or does not work. Sometimes it starts in the upright position with a new ball.

I swapped out the flipper board from Tommy and exact same issue. I think it may be one of the connectors to the flipper board. Any other suggestions on things to check? Thanks for your help.

1 month later
#1640 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here you go. Be careful. There is no one to call.
I followed the steps on one SB and would up with a board that no longer worked. I had to reverse what I did.
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/bulletins.htm

Thanks for the link. Anyone had an issue with the ball kicker arm? The only issue I have with my Tommy, ball has to kick up several times before making it. Thanks.

#1641 4 years ago

Guy in Toronto selling a larger Data East DMD. On Kijiji if anyone is looking for one. $250Cdn asking.

#1650 4 years ago

Had this issue fixed but it seemed to have returned again last night. Right flipper on GnR has very little power. It is very weak and seems to go in slow motion. Any ideas on things to check in terms of power? Thank you.

3 weeks later
#1706 4 years ago

Anyone know where I can get this board, EUROPEAN "PIN-LED DATA EAST REPLACEMENT 40001" flipper board? Even used would be great. Thanks for the help!

#1708 4 years ago

Thanks for the link. Wonder if the 40001 makes a difference?

#1719 4 years ago

Would a Tommy power board work directly in a GnR? Want to test a power issue with the flippers and have an old Tommy power board. Just wondering if 100% compatible. Thanks.

#1724 4 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation. Always nervous to swap out boards between games. Will double check the manuals for sure. Thank you.

6 months later
#2150 3 years ago

Has anyone ever found an option to the standard volume control that comes with the Data East games (usually a long knob inside the coin box area)? This is what I have on my Tommy and GnR. Find it to be terrible for volume control and usually not working properly. Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, OH
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballjah.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=pinballjah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.