• Yes, I have one. 567 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 974 votes by 932 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2282 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1620 4 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Does anyone have, or know of, where I could score a Vertical Up Kicker (VUK) deflector bracket for TM? I have had orders cancelled from Marco and Ministry of Pinball.
Mine is in really bad shape, and I don't know if my sheet metal "expert" buddy has the skill to replicate one.[quoted image]

Have you tried reaching out to Mantis ?...He makes all sorts of these type Stainless stell pinball parts...usually better.

#1621 4 years ago

Does someone have a link to the service bulletins for data east games...taking delivery of a Tommy and a Secret Service this week and want to go over everything when they get here

#1630 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here you go. Be careful. There is no one to call.
I followed the steps on one SB and would up with a board that no longer worked. I had to reverse what I did.
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/bulletins.htm

Thank you sir...I'm sure there is something I can gleam from it...

#1632 4 years ago

Thought I'd throw this out on this page as its a general flipper question. I picked up a Secret Service today and like every machine I seem to buy, someone had a go at the flippers prior to my arrival (one series wound and one parallel wound coil- jeez). I'd like to just remove these original brackets and go with the Williams style and be done with it...any issues with using these style brackets/bushings? and what coil should I use with them? ( I have a bunch of the 11629 coils lying around)

1 week later
#1665 4 years ago

Anyone have an energimastro board they want to sell?

#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Does he not have any available on his website?

Reached out to him, says they're no longer being made, and LEDOCD doesn't make a board for these machines. Sadness.....

2 weeks later
#1729 3 years ago

anyone need this? Came out of my Secret Service. The high voltage power supply was not working and the previous owner had already installed pinscore displays and included this old display with the machine. Just 15.00 to cover shipping, so basically free. Can't be sure it works as I didn't feel like rebuilding the power supply just to see if it worked.

20200403_163531_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163531_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163543_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163543_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163607_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163607_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163618_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163618_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163635_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163635_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163637_resized (resized).jpg20200403_163637_resized (resized).jpg
#1731 3 years ago

tentatively spoken for!

#1742 3 years ago

sweet...glad it came in handy for you

3 weeks later
#1788 3 years ago

Has anyone come up with a better playfield slide mechanism for Data East machines? This is perhaps the most difficult playfield to put back in place of any of the machines I have. I have some wear on the one pivot pin and now would be a good time to upgrade it if someone makes a retrofit.

#1791 3 years ago

Yes, I already have those...and they're a huge help, but I'm talking about the pivots at the top of the playfield...that slide on the rails...

#1802 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

I haven't installed mine yet, but others report that the EZ Slide brackets from Back Alley make a big difference.
https://backalleycreations.com/collections/ez-slide-brackets/products/ez-slide-slider-bracket

Yes exactly what I'm looking for...thanks...

1 week later
#1859 3 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Yep, we're both getting a new ramp from Richie. Yeah, I'm being proactive with the switches...because it did kinda act up when the wires were under slight tension. After I relaxed the tension, the issue seemed to dissapear. I haven't gone in and looked super close to the switch contacts but I've already had to replace the flipper microswitches (which makes sense given the higher use). I'm more concerned with not having certain parts just in case.
As for the rivets, I can't figure out how to cheaply install those tubular aluminum rivets. I have a rivet gun, but I don't think it's the correct rivet type (pull-through rod). I'm concerned the rivet gun I have will damage the plastic, but I could use a washer to distribute the force. I'm not in a rush to get rivets.
Thanks for the info on that switch. I emailed Pinball Wizard for support. I'll keep you posted if you're interested in that specific switch.
[quoted image]

get your rivet tools and rivets here....http://pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

#1862 3 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Oh, those are high-dollar tools. Very nice! Thanks for the info!

yeah you don't need the press...I do mine in my vise...just buy the two dies and the rivet kit. Its nice as it has numerous sizes and washers too.

3 months later
#2092 3 years ago

Will a Williams side rail fit on a Data East game? ..Looking at a chrome replacement like this one...The overall length is the same and appears to be the same...would like to get rid of the nails too...http://www.pinballplating.com/new-parts/gen3-williams-side-rails-h7zlf

#2094 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The link you provided says those chrome rails are 51.4" long. On my Robocop the rails measure 50.5" long. So it looks you would have to cut an inch off of these chrome rails. That would be doable.
I think, but cannot confirm, that flipper buttons are in the same position on most pinball machines.
The area that looks different is the angled cut to allow for the lockdown bar to fit. It looks like it is a long, shallow cut. Robocop has a shorter, steeper cut.
I think, but cannot confirm, that Williams lockdown bar is wider than the DE/Stern lockdown bars.
What might happen if you install these on your DE pin is that there will be a gap between your lockdown bar and the rail. If there is a gap, it will not be a large gap and it might be enough to bother you.
If the gap did turn out to bother you, you could locate a Williams lockdown bar and receiver and swap those two parts out.
In the end, it is a pinball machine. There is enough length in the rails that if you want to make it happen you can make it happen.
Let's say the flipper holes did not line up. Go to the hardware store an buy some 1" dowel rod and fill your two flipper holes, attach the new rails and with a hole saw, cut new holes for the flippers that match the holes in the rails.

Nope they're the same length ...here is a pic of mine

28521 (resized).jpeg28521 (resized).jpeg
1 year later
#2455 2 years ago

Putting my secret service Back together and dont recall how the apron mounts... I have two long grey spacers I assume go between the apron and playfield and held in with two 10/32 machine screws, but then I also have two holes with T nuts at the front that I dont recall what fits there...

#2458 2 years ago

I have one of Davi's trough boards for sale that replaces the standard micro switches with optos ( Tommy era machines)... 120.00 shipped to the lower US...never installed...comes with harness...get a pic up later

20211016_080553 (resized).jpg20211016_080553 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2472 2 years ago
Quoted from rmedine:

Hey everyone! I recently picked up a Laser War in near mind condition. Have discovered tone issue…whenever I get two of the balls into the “bases” during play and I enter 3 ball multiball play, the machine ejects the 3rd ball into the shooting lane but then it keeps trying to eject additional balls into the lane (which there aren’t any so it’s just a really loud sound that doesn’t stop). The only way that I’ve found to stop it is to turn the game off and back on. Any thoughts on where to look to troubleshoot? I’m a new pinball machine owner and don’t know where to start.
Also does anyone know how many balls should be installed in this game? Currently I just have 3.
Thanks!

I would check all your trough swithes and the shooter lane swtich..I've replaced all mine with cherry micro switches as the original stacked swiches always seemed to give me problems getting them adjusted correctly. go into switch test and roll a ball into the shooter lane and then move it and see if the switch stays activated, likewise you can see if the trough switches are working correctly as the balls roll...

#2475 2 years ago

Anyone have a set of playfield hanger brackets for a data east playfield.. they're a little shorter than the standard Bally William's hangers...also looking for the locking cam for the back box...has a zig zag in it...this is for a 1988 secret service machine if that helps

#2477 2 years ago
Quoted from rmedine:

Just tested the switches. All seem to be testing out properly and as expected. The issue is that I can’t test what the switches do during 3-ball multiball which is the only time that switch is acting up. Is there any way to see what is going on with switches during a certain moment of play? Or any other ideas on how to troubleshoot?
FWIW when the 3-ball play starts the other two balls that are locked in the playfield are supposed to eject as well once the third ball is in play. I noticed that those other two balls also don’t eject into play once the third ball is in play. Likely a related issue.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Interesting...I'd say related for sure...Have you checked all your switches? Is it kicking out the ball as soon as you lock your balls? or does it go through a ball search? I'm thinking its not "seeing" the ball being locked, but if it kicks out right away, its obviously sees the ball in the lock. I'd check all the switches on the playfield (using a ball) and go from there...

#2487 2 years ago

Looks like this no?

Screenshot_20211129-124805_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211129-124805_eBay (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2502 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Thanks for replying. Here's what's going on now. I've replaced the diode on the flipper solenoid, TIP36, TIP32, and the S2806B chip on the flipper board. Now when I try I get about two full flips before it blows the F1 Fuse (high voltage). Pulled transistors again and TIP36 is bad, the other tested OK but replacing them again. Thoughts??? Thanks again for any help.

pic of the diode on the flipper coil?

#2507 2 years ago

Where did you purchase the transistors? Have you tried just grounding the ground lug of the coil?it should activate when grounded.Proper voltage at the power side of the coil? Anywhere the power lead may be making contact with ground prior to the coil?

#2509 2 years ago

Hmmm, if there was a short on the power wire I would think it would short prior to the flipper board grounding the coil right...so you can probably rule that out. And you said the coil resistance was ok measured with no diode right? ..and it's a new coil diode....Ed sells good stuff, but Amazon you never know...try the ground test...looks like for some reason that transistor is cooking...

#2512 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

The coil measured OK with and without diode...is that valid testing?
I'm going to try the grounding as soon as I can scrounge up a long enough cable. Question to you and monkfe, by doing this test what does this answer? If it fires is the coil and diode OK, and if it doesn't fire does that mean the coil is bad, diode bad, or both?
As always, very much appreciate all the help and time you're taking with me.

Yes it would tell you that up to that point all is working correctly...what was the resistance of the coil do you recall? Ideally disconnected from anything else, but the diode will screw the reading up...if left connected

#2523 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

I did not change out D4 or D5, just did an OHM test which to me seemed OK. I will check Q6. Dumb Question, after looking over the flipper assembly last night I discovered I didn't have a coil sleeve in place during my last test that blew the fuse...could this have caused it????

A missing coil sleeve should not short out the coil. You said you checked the diodes in "ohm" setting, should be done in diode check setting...same as you would to test a transistor

#2531 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Sorry for being slow on trying the grounding of the coil. Don't have any good wires hanging around the house. I did try it with a car battery jumper cable LOL, I know but it's all I have at the moment. Is that to big of a wire because neither flipper activated when I tried but the left flipper works no problem during game play. I did do the test during game play...but I think the wire is just to big perhaps, don't have any other good explanation since the left flipper works during game play. Thanks for any thoughts on my technic or lack there of.

Can you just hit a local box store and pick up some say 4ft of 18ga single strand wire?...even some thermostat wire would work...Jumper cables, a bit overkill, but still should do the same job...but I would imagine the connection may be suspect so wait till you get the right jumper here...did you or can you measure the voltage at the coil?

#2534 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Ok so I got creative and found some old coax cable that had nice ends of copper sticking out both ends. Touching braid then un-banded end of coil lug and nothing, tried left flipper too (known working one) and nothing. Didn’t try it the first time but on this attempt i tried other coils in the game and they fire. So is this something you can’t do on a Data East pin or am i missing something in my testing method?
I tried to get voltage at the flipper coils but nothing on either during game play with coin door closed When wife flipped the good flipper i get a quick 8v, but i’m not trying the right one until i’m more confident the board is good for the right side since it’s getting old replacing transistors and blown fuses.
Ideas and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again.

I belive there is a relay to activate the flippers on DE games, so I assume a game must be started for them to be active..Was it during game play?

2 months later
#2594 2 years ago

Anyone interested in one of Davi's optical trough boards with wiring harness reach out...used to replace the trough microswitches with optical ones...purchased this for my Tommy, but sold it before I ever installed it...

20220216_075615 (resized).jpg20220216_075615 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#2651 1 year ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

Hi all,
I noticed my Simpsons pin manual lists a different style/type of 5 bankndrop target assembly to what I have installed.
Does anyone know what games the one pictured is used on? Any advantage to the actual ones used in the simpsons? Not sure if the design was changed due to cost or functionality?
Cheers[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like the same one in my secret service..

1 year later
#2887 4 months ago

Can someone take a pic of the lock cylinder and locking mechanism...somehow I lost it during my machine rebuild....If you happen to have a spare reach out I may need it...

#2889 4 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

On the head or coin door????

its in the head...on top actually (worst place ever)

#2891 4 months ago
Quoted from scootss:

I don't have a picture, but the parts are in the manual.
From Jurassic Park:
Lock and cam - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LKA78
Lock plate - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5860-00
Or...they sell a kit:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5860-KIT

nope...whole different animal....fits in a round hole and has a linkage of sorts to lock the glass in...(I think as I haven't seen it in years)

#2893 4 months ago

My apologies, I thought I posted that...Secret Service...so that era...

#2896 4 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have one in garage, if I have time I'll take pics in the morning.

ty..

#2898 4 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Here you go.[quoted image][quoted image]

thanks gdonovan ! that helps...is that a two bladed key type lock?

#2901 4 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Here you go.[quoted image][quoted image]

I do need one of these if anyone has one...the acutal cam, not the lock so much...

1 month later
#2937 77 days ago
Quoted from FathomPin:

Does the Ez-Slide work to improve playfield balance when propped up for working under it, Data East playfield ,Jurassic Park in particular? In the Ez-Slide demo I saw the new, very high and long, side rails for propping up the Stern (I think) playfields, not a side prop bar, so I wonder if using a prop bar needs to be eliminated entirely and install the side rails too?
Right now I started using a 1x2x30-inch stick to prop up the playfield when working on it, because I have had the playfield twist off the rails when using the prop-up bar located on the RH-side of the cabinet. Propping the playfield up on just one side makes it very unbalanced; no wonder the flipper circuit board gets damaged on these pins. I prop the stick in the front of the cabinet, so it is center balanced, either at the bottom or at the top of the front side depending on how high I need the playfield to be, but I worry I might hit it with my arm or something and have it come crashing down. What should a hobbyist do here to work on the game?
Also; I've been on Pinside for over 10 years and I still don't know how to start a new topic post, so I am replying to the last post of the Data East club and not knowing what topic it will be filed under.

I've used these and they're great. I also installed stern playfield support brackets (this was on my Tommy machine). The stern supports were much better than the posts that came stock. I tried to find a pic, but they seem to be deleted?....If you reply to a post in a thread, it will be in that thread...to make a new one, pick a catagory you want to post in, then once signed in should be pretty straightforward.

#2964 70 days ago
Quoted from Preacher:

Hi!
Is there an easy fix to prevent light from an under the playfield lamp to ”leak” into a nearby lamp? When the red lamp lights up it looks like the yellow c lamp lights as well. I first thought that the diode was busted but the yellow lamp never lights up when the red is lit, it just looks like that due to leakage.
Kinda hard to explain in a second language.
/j
[quoted image]

If bending it doesn't work, you can make a light baffle ala 3d printer, but a slight bend should do it....

4 weeks later
#3006 42 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Question for you guys that have inatlled a PinSound board on your DE. I bought the Neo+ but did not but the speakers they offer, kinda pricey.
Are the stock speakers at 30 years old going to give me similar sound quality as a pair of new 4" and 6" inexpensive speakers. Got a Pyle Pro 8" off of Amazon a couple weeks ago. Put that in the JP with the stock sound board to see if it would improve the low end but it did not. Put the stock 8" speaker back in. Will try the Pyle again once the PinSound is in to see how it compares. But if I were to change out the 4" factory speakers any suggestions?
Paper cones do degrade over time.

almost any speaker bought today is superior to the paper cone versions of yesteryear...Not suprised there wasn't any change with the stock boards, you'll see a difference with the pinsound board...look for better sound mixes on the pinsound website...don't forget to adjust the equalizer o the board, not sure if the neo has that option...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=monkfe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.