• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgadzia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1173 5 years ago

Refurbing my Data East Star Wars and found that the woofer was not a woofer but a crappy mid-range speaker. I recently upgraded my Woofer on my TZ following this guide:
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

But this guide doesnt apply to the Data East. It seems that each speaker has its own amplifier. So my questions:
1. Do I need a crossover on the woofer?
2. Do i need an LPAD, if so how should i hook it up? (This is my main Question)

#1176 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The design of the game doesn't split frequencies like you are thinking. This is why the cabinet speaker is a midrange speaker and not a woofer. The cabinet just enhances the low frequencies. There is no reason to put a crossover on the cabinet speaker because there is nothing to crossover to, unless you add another higher frequency mid or tweeter to the cab. You don't need an LPAD, unless you want that kind of control - but that would only allow you to lower the volume of the cab speaker. If you wanted to make the cab speaker louder than the backbox speakers, you could use a stereo LPAD for the backbox speakers. If I was just replacing the cab speaker with a woofer, I wouldn't use an LPAD or a crossover, I'd use a low pass filter so that only the low frequencies are passed to the woofer.
[quoted image]

I guess i dont understand this as much as i thought i did. I purchased a 80 mhz crossover:
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-80-hz-low-pass-8-ohm-crossover--266-442

I thought this would filter everything over 80 mhz out and send it to the woofer, how is this different than a low pass filter?
My thought was the LPAD would be used to control the volume on the mid and tweeters so that you could turn the general volume all the way to drive the woofer but use the lpad to decrease the volume to mids and tweets.
What am i missing?

Thank you very much for replying, no one else has really chimed in on this!

#1183 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaketime81:

Jgadzia,
I am working on the same project, here is my setup on my gnr:
1. I bought it with a pinsound board and upgraded speakers, but I knew I could make it better.
2. changed out the 4” speakers with some nice two way coaxials and cnc’d adapters to fit nicely.
3. Added a small power supply to power the pinsound and amifiers.
4. Added a ktp mini sub amp, has selectable 80/100/120 LPF built in, the pinsound output was not crossed over and the factory sub had its iwn LP coil attached.
5. Machined a spacer to raise the new sub off the floor so the suround can move without rubbing and the factory sub grill can be retained. All without any modification to the cabinet so it can all be reversed.
6. Working on bulding a custom topper to add 2 6” speakers in enclosures that look like marshall amps and I am adding a 4 channel ktp amp to powet the 2 up top and the two in the cabinet.
Its all a bit overboard, but I love me some GnR Pinball!!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

wow impressive, that thing is going to kick!

6 months later
#1386 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Hey Everyone,
Has anyone installed Frank's Famous Lithium Battery Board on their Data East MPU? I bought this board to replace the AA battery holder. Unfortunately, the replacement board didn't come with instructions. I sent an email to Todd at TNT and he responded quickly, letting me know there were no instructions for board install. I know...why would I buy this without having enough background in electronics? Short answer: I didn't do enough research, especially on NVRAM. I have no problem soldering/desoldering boards but want to make sure I install correctly. Just hoping for some guidance.
Thanks Guys[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

take off the battery holder.
you are going to use the bottom 4 solder holes on the board
match up the positive on the right side of your new board with the positive on the bottom right where the old battery holder was and the negative with the middle right connector on the board

install (resized).jpginstall (resized).jpg
3 months later
#1560 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Hey everybody, glad to join this club.
I picked up a Rocky and Bullwinkle a little bit ago and recently it doesn't boot. I'm sure I'll ask some more specific questions once I get deeper into it, but the main things that are wrong thus far are it keeps blowing strange sets of fuses, has some extremely weird/lazy power supply board fixes (wires jumped instead of replaced blah blah) the P.I.A. light stays on, I could go on.
I'm looking for some guidance and pointers on where to start looking to get some comprehensive training on the design of these games' boardsets. Thus far I've only worked on a couple of EMs and System80 games, and Clay's Guides have helped me out a lot on both of those. I'd love some pointers on where to start looking to learn.
Thanks in advance friends.

first check the power supply and make sure you are getting all of the appropriate voltages out of the board, these powersupply boards on these things go whack pretty easily.

if you are still not booting, then get you a leons test eprom and follow these directions to troubleshoot
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Data_East_CPU_Board_Repair

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 29.99
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 45.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgadzia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=jgadzia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.