• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 281 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 979 votes by 937 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

phantom (resized).jpg
lw3 (resized).jpg
IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1241 4 years ago

I’m still parting out my Secret Service playfield and the Topper if anyone’s interested. Lots of good parts on it, but no plastics left.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/74362

1 month later
#1292 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

1) Laser War has nothing.
========================
2) Secret Service
I cannot find anything in the Secret Service manual that says anything about a knocker.
================================
3) Torpedo Alley shows a knocker at ED 58.
[quoted image]
================================
4) Time Machine has something called Klacker Warning. I doubt that a Klacker is a knocker but I don't know what a klacker is, either.
E Ad 59
[quoted image]
=========================
5) I found the knocker on Playboy 35th.
It is E Ad 54 down at the bottom of the page.
[quoted image]
==================================
6) Robocop has nothing.
==================
7) Phantom of the Opera has nothing.
============
First seven DE pins show two with knockers; one with a Klacker ???; four with no knockers
Bummer. I would like to have a knocker on my Robocop.
======================

Interesting. JP manual shows nothing for a knocker that I can see.
[quoted image]
Hook is the same way. I cannot find anything about a knocker.
Simsons does not show a knocker, either.
I'll need to study the switch matrix's when I get a little more time. If your pins have these knockers on it sure seems like there will be something in the manual somewhere.

My Torpedo Alley has one, and my MNF has one I know most Data East’s have the knocker cut out because it caused some sort of issue? Not sure what issue but most I’ve seen have them removed. My Checkpoint has it’s removed also.

Also about the Fuse Block, I have a spare Secret Service Head with quite a few Data East parts and that fuse block, is the retrofit universal?

Added over 5 years ago:

Turns out I was wrong on that, there is no knocker after all on MNF

#1304 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

There are only three games of which there are no knockers listed in the solenoids table/schematics.
These are:
Monday Night Football (allthough there is a report now there is a knocker)
Phantom of the Opera
Robocop
Isochronic_Frost: If you can provide me with the wire colors or maybe even the transistor, I will add the knocker to my Tech Chart for MNF.
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

I’m terribly sorry, I feel like a fool
MNF doesn’t have a knocker. I don’t know why I was so sure!

#1308 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Anyone know the part number to a lock down bar for Jurassic Park? I've looked in my manual and dont see one listed.
Thanks

You can easily buy new DE lockdown bars. You should be able to google it, everyone has them. Pinball life, Marco, the likes

#1310 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I have googled it. When I googled it Marco shows one not in stock. I did not see one listed at PB life. I will Google it from my PC and not my phone. Thanks

Sorry didn’t mean to seem rude. PBL just had them a few days ago. I mean DE lockdowns seem to be some of the easier to attain. You could put up a WTB ad and get one fast aswell

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#1314 4 years ago
Quoted from RYSR:

Beware, I have seen them disconnected on a couple DE pins, where the Tip36 transistor on the PPB board was shorted internally. The easy opp field fix was to cut the wire. Best to do a ohm check across the transistor on the board to check it first.

So that transistor shorted often? Because I’ve seen so many DE’s with the knocker cut and not sure why it was so widespread.

#1320 4 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

dors anyone know where i can purchase a coin door switch cover?

I’m not sure what you mean by this? Do you have any picture references?

#1322 4 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

my bullwinkle has one and missing one.......it is a clear cover over the credit switches inside the coin door

Ah yes okay, the coinco plastic covers
Most games I’ve gotten had one removed, probably for an op or home user to add credits instead of setting it to freeplay (because somehow that’s too difficult)
I don’t think they’re made anymore. I can check tomorrow to see if I have spares

2 weeks later
#1341 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I noticed tonight that CN1 had damage to pins 1-12 and also the connector has burn marks. So maybe something is causing these pins to burn out. Does anyone know what these pins control and any likely causes to look at? Thanks for your help. Jim[quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve stated this earlier in other DE threads, that connector is the ground for your GI. The connectors used were not rated for the amperage it draws and they get hot as hell. Every single Data East game I’ve bought has had that and the other connectors burnt right off. My Checkpoint had it so bad it desoldered the connector right off the board. Replace the GI with LEDs and you won’t have that issue again.

#1346 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the details. Do you recall what part of the game would not function when CN1 was damaged? Did it impact the DMD working or the ball ejection?
Sometimes these problems just take a little common sense to figure out. I removed CN2 (as I read in another post this would potentially help) and the playfield and translite lights stayed on. Then it dawned on me with the replacement of the power supply board, maybe the game was reaet to the factory defaults. So I played with the coin slot and heard what appeared to be a credit added. Game would then start but no ball would eject.
Does anyone know how to add a credit manually to the game? I cannot set it to freeplay as DMD is still not working. Thanks for the help.

I don’t recall for sure, but my Checkpoint DMD was scrambled for a while and after I rebuilt the power supply the issue went away. The caps could be bad if they’re original. As for ball eject, not sure there. It shouldn’t be related, the solenoids are plugged in on the lower left of the power supply, far away from the GI issues. However the PS should most likely be rebuilt. Most are just old and failing now

#1357 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

This was an issue with the DMD not working properly (scrambled lines on the display) and not getting enough power. Changed the power board to an Xpin power board and there appeared to be burned pins 10/11/12 at CN1 on the power board.
Here is what my tech said:
The only issue we found was the -98v was low right off the power supply at -89v. All the VAC from the transformer tested good as does the voltage coming into CN1.

Told ya! The power supply on Data East games need to be rebuilt. They’re all dying right now. New caps and it’s good as new!

#1375 4 years ago

So I was setting up my newly restored Checkpoint... when it fell off the stool I was propping the back of the game up with trying to put on the legs.
I know better then to try catching a falling machine, but it slammed down HARD.
It sheered off the connectors to my mini-DMD and now half of it is out. It blew out the bottom speaker, cone was blown apart. Now no solenoids will work and I have the extremely loud Data East hum and you can barely hear the game sounds...
I’m extremely discouraged and heartbroken as my friend was helping me restore this game and I literally just picked it up last Tuesday from his house after nearly 8 months of being there. Didn’t even get a chance to play it

Any suggestions where to start?

2 months later
#1476 4 years ago
Quoted from mad940:

I've had the time machine for 20+yrs and couple of secret service's (getting another one soon) and just finished a partial resto on a torpedo alley. Fun machine![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WOW, I see a Saratoga Pinball Show card in there!!

I've been spending a ton of time bringing my Torpedo Alley back from the dead. The game is an absolute WRECK from Florida, but TA deserves the restoration. FANTASTIC game, and the best light show of any 80's game by far. I mean KEITH ELWIN owns one, how much more proof do you need?

Currently the game boots, has a rottendog MPU, but none of the cabinet switches/buttons register at all, thus I cannot interact with the game at all. Solenoids are kicking locked balls out and playfield switches are registering. I traced the green wires off the coin door and they have continuity all the way back to the board. I switched in a different coin door (Checkpoint was close enough) and the coin rejects light up but still no buttons will work. What should I look into next?

Quoted from Pinballer67:

Very fun game but a bit easy. I can roll it fairly often. I haven't tinkered yet, but faster slings and a jacking the back legs might help difficulty. I wonder if lightning flips would work, too. The lane change bonus at the back scores way too high IMO and breaks the game. Doesn't seem to be enough reward for sinking the ships(?). Still, I have a fairly large collection and this one looks, sounds and feels FUN after bashing my head against the other brutal games in my collection! Plus, it's my 8-year old's fave to play [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Another awesome TA! Definitely adjust that bad boy up! It shouldn't be that easy. Needs to be brutally fast. Also did you or the previous owner light the star posts and color match the rubbers?? That's some hardcore color matching going on...

2 weeks later
#1509 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I sent you a PM. Send a PM to Borygard and tell him what you have. I got my Robocop board fixed and working 100% for around $160-$180 as I recall.

Does he fix soundboards too? My Torpedo Alley soundboard is fried (right above the batteries that leaked for many years), and I’d like to get my checkpoint MPU fixed too

#1512 4 years ago

Quoted from Robotworkshop:Do you have any pictures of the board that shows how extensive the corrosion is? On those boards I usually have to replace the CPU socket and CPU and a few other parts along with fixing a few traces.
Some boards just aren't worth the effort if there is too much corrosion unless there is no other option.

Here’s mine. Just a little bit of corrosion.
Soundboard looks slightly better than this. It got hit with all the outgassing of the batteries

2B3D777E-58F2-47C7-86EF-1B74470A97D3.jpeg2B3D777E-58F2-47C7-86EF-1B74470A97D3.jpeg7CCA7794-E60D-48C2-A5C9-B8AF143FBFDE.jpeg7CCA7794-E60D-48C2-A5C9-B8AF143FBFDE.jpeg
#1514 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yikes that is a lot of work right there. Not sure if it would be worth the time unless you have nothing better to do.

The MPU is toast, but I don’t have a pic of the soundboard at the moment

3 weeks later
#1567 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I'll call it a Festivus miracle! Checkpoint ramps are in the final tuning stage.[quoted image]

Boy my checkpoint can severely use one of these! Mine has been fixed using fiberglass patch kits and all sorts of ugly garbage. It’s the worst. Definitely one of the ugliest checkpoint ramps out there.
I still need to get my game fully working, I’ve had an issue since day one that the VUK is locking on when any coil goes on, there are no bad transistors, no shorts on the board and I haven’t been able to locate any ground shorts anyway. This checkpoint has been a pain in my ass for ages.

I was also hit by the curse of DE, my MNF has been on location at my arcade for over 2 months, and I’ve checked everyday. The wires were warm but never hot, and it was probably 2/3rds LED.
Welp regardless one of the wires burnt up and I had half my GI out. What a bummer.

Also I’ve had an issue with the sound randomly deciding to get stuck doing the odd thumping pulse after 2 full cycles of attract mode. Every 15 minutes after a game is played or the game is powered on it it thumps and thumps very strangely. I believe the giant 18k cap has gone bad on the PS and caused the sound section to go into some bizarre loop.

BEDA42DE-5CE7-40B3-8F4E-9DDD34FD3A96.jpegBEDA42DE-5CE7-40B3-8F4E-9DDD34FD3A96.jpeg
3 weeks later
#1604 4 years ago
Quoted from coinop:

Looking for a slide latch for the backbox light board in data East pinball. Marco is out anyone have one to sell?
Thanks!

Yes, I have one, message me. I can get it off my spare Secret Service backbox. I’m still selling parts off my populated playfield if anyone needs them.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Chicago Coin was bought by Gary Stern's father and was renamed Stern Electronics. Stern Electronics went out of business on 1981-82. And then some way some how Gary Stern would up with, or started Data East. And then Gary moved on to today's Stern Corporation.

Quoted from RYSR:

I believe DE sold to Saga then Gary bought it back

The history is basically Chicago Coin was selling off their assets and in 1977 Stern Electronics Inc. was created when the Stern family bought them. Later in 1982 they closed the pinball division “temporarily” ending the production of Orbitor 1, despite having over 4,000 orders for it. In-between this time Stern bought Seeburg which actually owned Williams manufacturing so Stern owned Williams for a brief time technically. Stern made arcade games until filing for bankruptcy in late 1984 about when the retheme Quicksilver Lazer Lord was revealed. After the bankruptcy Gary or possibly his father Sam Stern reformed them into Mylstar and produced a conversation kit that was the original Prototype of a standard body Flight 2000 called Gamatron, they marketed this kit from 1985 to 1986.

In 1987 the glorious Laser War was made by the newly formed Data East by Joe Kaminkow and Gary Stern. They went on until 1994 making Maverick as their last machine which kept rolling to production with Sega buying them. Then Sega continued on to 1999 making Harley-Davidson which finally came full circle with Gary buying them out then making it the new Stern Pinball Inc. we know today.

Now there’s the big history in case you’re all wondering. I find their story probably one of the most fascinating in pinball because of how clever the Stern family was. Always coming out of the bankruptcies on top.

Added over 4 years ago:

*Pinstar, not Mylstar.

1 month later
#1675 4 years ago
Quoted from toddtuckey:

Change ALL of the capacitors on that sound board...they are 30 years old and drying out more every day!

My Monday Night Football has weird sounds that are different from the standard sounds I’ve heard in videos.
Also it says “factory altered” didn’t know if that had something to do with it.
The HUGE 18000uf capacitor is definitely bad. Nobody seems to have it in stock. Any suggestions?

3 months later
#1988 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Measure your 5v, 12v and -12v on the power supply. If you have an original DE power supply, it will be time for new capacitors.

This happened with my MNF, caps are going bad. Sounds would reset after every ball

1 month later
#2068 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This happened with my MNF, caps are going bad. Sounds would reset after every ball

I may have missed this but does anyone have a source for the HUGE capacitor on the DE power supply? Mine is definitely bad and slowly drains until it no longer can keep capacitance as the game runs. I can’t find the massive one and my game does NOT have the holes for multiple smaller caps

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, OH
$ 29.50
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.